close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about DVD burners

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mgeh, Jan 25, 2010.

1. mgeh

mgeh

Im about to deploy soon and I want to bring as much movies as I can on an external hard drive. I have a very large collection of DVD's and my plan is to burn them onto a hard drive.

My questions are;

1. Can I actually do this? Would the copyright prevent me despite being my movie?

2. If I can what DVD burner would you recommend. I would like to stay under $200.

Thanks.

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

You only need ot "burn" movies to a blank DVD. To put them on a hard drive, you just need a good ripping program. There should be some freeware stuff out there. I have several pro programs I got free from "Giveaway of the Day". Check their website daily, as well as their freeware archives.

They have done:

DiscRipper
    WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
    Extra EVE to All MP4 Ripper

WonderShare does a LOT of video and photo related software on Giveaway of the Day. Might wanna see what they got for ripping, if wanna buy something.

EDIT TO ADD: Thank you very much for your service.

3. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

AnyDVD + DVDShrink works wonderfully

And you should be able to find a decent burner for $50 or less. Check out pricewatch.com

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

I do this as I am often out in the field.
    Get either a 500 GB external or several smaller drives.

Movies can be .5 to 1 GB each.
    I add a step you may not want.
    I convert them after the rip to iPod/MPEG format.

I can watch on my lappy or POD.
    :supergrin::wavey:

5. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106335

Good drive and about 30 bucks shipped, Newegg has good shipping policies.

This is a SATA drive but it seems like you are a computer newbie that might have issues with IDE and SATA drives on your PC or knowing the difference.

Get you a small portable external drive from the PX and most small ones are USB powered. Also find you a hard shell case for it because you do not want it to be banging around with you.

I like to use DVDFAB since its really a simple process and copies pretty much all movies out there and gives you multi-format options.

Or save yourself the trouble and buy a good laptop to be able to watch the movies you copied onto the hard drive but to get good quality small file size movies takes time and patience.

Google How to make 700mb movies.

6. JimmyN

JimmyN

Yes, they'll be copy protected. You'll need a copier that can deal with that in order to make backups of your originals. You can do it manually with a VOB tool like VirtualDub, but I doubt you really want to learn all about DVD structures and program chains just to rip some discs to hard drive.

Many of them will handle the DVD Copy Authority's CSS encoding that was sold to the movie industry as 'copy protection'. But with only 156 keys it was obvious it wouldn't really provide copy protection for long. It just ensures that every DVD and DVD player sold has to pay a royalty to the DVD Copy Authority. They really stiffed the movie industry, and the consumer on that one, since every DVD and player you buy includes the cost for the now worthless CSS content scrambling.

So they have resorted to the use of bad sectors, missing sectors, missing tracks, half density data blocks, etc to defeat copy programs. A method that has been in use for over 20 years and goes back to the old copy protected 5-1/4" floppies.

As DScott said you won't need a burner, or burning software, if you're ripping them to a hard drive. Once they are on the hard drive just double click on the first ".ifo" file in the movies 'VIDEO_TS' folder, and your DVD player will start up and play the movie.

I can rip Blu-Ray and HD-DVD disks, but with the truly outrageous price of Blu-Ray blanks I don't burn any of those to disc, I just watch them from the hard drive. You don't need a burner to make discs if you're going to play them from your hard drive.

Movies put out before dual layer discs came on the scene will be less than 4.7gigs. Newer movies, especially the big blockbuster hits, tend to use the extra space of dual layer discs, and with all the special features will sometimes run close to 8 gigs if you copy everything.

If you use something like DVD Shrink you can copy the movie only to save a lot of space. You will lose the chapters, and special features, and the movie will play beginning to end like a VHS. You still have fast forward, and the slider bar to jump around in the movie, you just can't jump to a specific point as you could with a chapter menu, since you have no menu.

Using DVD Shrink you can compress the movie more, and even make it small enough to fit on a regular CD. But quality really drops off if you start compressing them.

I have a 500gig external USB drive that I take with me when traveling on the road for work. I usually have about 80 movies on it to choose from, but most of them are the full disc rather than just the movie. When I'm home I plug it into my NAS and I can access the movies from upstairs, downstairs, out on the deck, etc.

7. mgeh

mgeh

Like mentioned before I don't know much of PC's and components. So I'll rephrase my my request;

I just want to rip the movie from my DVD and save it to an external hard drive to avoid having a cluster of CDs.

G33, how do I convert them for the iPod? ITunes gives me alot of hassle everytime I try doing anything.

DScottHewitt, thanks for the appreciation.

Thanks for the help

8. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Google "Handbrake" - free software to convert video to iTunes format.