Question about current G23 followers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cm2300, Oct 27, 2010.

1. cm2300

cm2300

What is the difference between the Glock 23 magazine with a #8 follower and the newest G23 magazine with a #8 follower AND a "1" on the bottom, rear part of the magazine?

Thanks.

2. Glock 29

Glock 29

i just bought a new gen 3 glock 23 and it came with two mags with the number 8 on the followers . these are gen 4 mags. they but them in the newer gen 3 guns now

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

The "1" magazine is a redesign of the magazine with "no number" and #8 follower. The magazine tube is a little different on the "1" magazine, the changes I've noticed are that the inside of the magazine tube is narrower especially toward the front of the tube and the little plastic "nubs" in front of the feed lips are closer to the feed lips and don't go as deep into the magazine tube than on the "no number" magazine. Also on the "no number" tube those plastic nubs are shaved away to an extent right in front of the feed lips. The "1" mag tubes do not have any plastic shaved away in that area.

There are also magazines with a "2" and #8 follower, I can tell no difference between these magazine tubes and the "1" magazine tubes besides the obvious number marking.

The newest .40 magazines that come with Gen4 .40 guns have the "2", a cutout on both sides of the magazine tube for the Gen4 reversible magazine catch, and come with a #9 follower.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. cm2300

cm2300

Great information. Thanks!

Are the newest .40 magazines/followers (#9) supposed to correct a functionality flaw in previous magazine designs?

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

I don't own any magazines with #9 followers yet so I don't know how different it is from the #8 follower. I suspect that when Glock redesigns one aspect of a magazine they often end up slightly redesigning another aspect. Usually when they change the follower or the magazine tube they subsequently change the other also.

I know a few people including myself have had failure to feed of the last round in the magazine from some of the "1" and "2" magazines with #8 followers.

My case involved a "1" magazine that failed to feed the last round every time I used it while all of my other magazines, including a "no number with #8 follower" worked flawlessly during the same range trip. Glock sent me a new spring for the "1" magazine but I haven't tested it yet. I know someone else with "1" magazines and theirs work perfect. :dunno:

One other person on this forum said he experienced failures to feed of the last round with "2" magazines and that he changed the 9-coil magazine springs to 10-coil springs and his magazines work flawlessly now.

In .40 standard capacity magazines, if your magazines came with followers 1028(#1) through #5 you can use any of those followers in those magazines. If you magazines came with followers #6 through #9 you can use any of those followers in those magazines.