Question About Chambering A Round Manually

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Glocker08, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Glocker08

Glocker08

I'm thinking of using my AK for deer hunting this year. Obviously FMJ ammo would not be ideal for this, so I would be using SP. As many of you know, the bullet guide on some AK's can deform the tip of SP ammo when chambering a round, affecting accuracy.

My question is, if I chambered a round manually to avoid this, is it ok to let the bolt slam home ? Is this bad for the extractor ? Also, can this cause a slam fire on AK's with free floating firing pins ?

Thanks in advance.

2. dglockster

dglockster

Can't answer your question, but if chambering a single round of SP becomes problematic or if you think you may need a quick follow-up shot, you may want to consider using hollow points. They chamber with no problems.

3. Glocker08

Glocker08

I've used HP ammo for target practice (hard targets,trees,lumber,etc.) and managed to retrieve a few. From what I've seen it doesn't expand at all. It's basically no different than FMJ. Whether or not it would react differently with soft tissue, I don't know. :dunno: Just want to make a clean shot.

4. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

I'd think you'd be ok since that's pretty much what happens anyways. Honestly though I'd just load up a few mags with SP's and go try them out to see if your rifle's bullet guide deforms them a bit.

5. my762buzz

my762buzz

Watch the video at about 1 min 22 sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XZfMp3WAS4&feature=related

The 7.62x39 rim never slips behind the extractor like would occur with a glock
    or other handguns. The AK bolt at the very end of the loading cycle conforms around the rim by forcing the extractor to spread outward and this is when the cartridge rim snaps into the bolt breech face.

If your worried about deforming the bullet tip, you could manually insert the cartridge head into the bolt breech face area and then hand guide the connected bolt-bullet into the chamber but be absolutely certain the bolt head lugs turn and lock into the trunion fully.

6. my762buzz

my762buzz

The hollow points need water based tissue to react.
    The most reactive hollow point from Russia is the 8M3 and it out performs
    the other ones several times over.
    8m3 is used on the third water jug in the video link below.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/my762buzz#p/a/u/0/mhyZ9ZoPJ90
    Wolf black box hp is not worth using it sucks as seen in shot 2 on the next link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGB5YB9f15Q

7. my762buzz

my762buzz

I'm just not sure if the wolf military classic hp ammo currently sold still has the 8m3 bullet from a few recent posts about the newer batches of it.
    The vmax bullet load shown in both videos is the more water reactive choice and feeds like FMJ and there is no hole to plug with fur or other material which could reduce effectiveness.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  8. Glocker08

Glocker08

Wow, yeah you can see a big difference between the different varieties of ammo in the water jug tests. Very useful info, thanks for posting. :wavey:

9. Glocker08

Glocker08

Very interesting. I will have to try that. Thanks. :cool:

10. my762buzz

my762buzz

Glad I could contribute. Enjoy the tasty deer.

11. Tarheel72

Tarheel72 Go Heels!

The Silver Bear SP ammo that I have shot was very accurate at 100 yards, deformed or not. I think it would work well on deer. Also if you are going hunting are there any quality American ammo in JHP? I plan on using my AK to hog hunt in the spring and will be using the Silver Bear SP. In Texas there are no limits on mag capacity so I am chomping at the bit to drop a few hogs while using a 20 round mag!

12. my762buzz

my762buzz

Most any softpoint is usually limited to the 1800 fps threshold for minimum expansion. From a 16 inch barrel, this occurs at near 150 yards.
    Beyond 150 yards, the few expanding choices that still expand decently are vmax, 8m3 hp, and possibly the corbon hp varieties.