Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an older 2013 / AAPN-prefix Glock 42. It has the older slide lock and other parts - but the frame is a "1" (which, I guess, is better). I suppose Glock would upgrade the frame parts but that may take some cajoling and, who knows, six weeks or more.

I'm thinking about ordering a Vickers Tac slide stop from Midway and leaving it, otherwise, as-is for now. What thinks Glock Talk? I haven't seen anything bad about the Vickers slide stop but I dunno or I wouldn't post this. I also checked Midway for a newer ejector housing but they're out of stock now. I thought I saw, before, that Glock won't send parts except to Glock-certified armorers.

Didn't intend to criticize Glock/Smyrna above - I mailed them a 1st-gen magazine this past week and they FedEx'd the replacement which will be here tomorrow ... Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you send to Glock, they will replace any upgraded parts as necessary (including the older mags, as you already mentioned). Have you shot it much? Any problems? Not sure I would introduce any non-OEM parts if you're worried about reliability. (i.e. if there's a problem are you gonna blame the 42 or your added parts?)

FYI, when I sent my older 42 in to Glock, they replaced several parts, the older '02' mags, and apparently did a little grinding/polishing of the barrel feed ramp (interestingly, this last bit not documented on the return invoice paperwork).

Oh, and they quoted me 6 weeks, but I got it back in, like 3 as I recall). It has been flawless thru at least 3k rounds since then.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
What do you mean the frame is a "1" please explain? If theres a problem with a gun, Glock will fix it. They may even pay shipping to them? But usually not, unless its under the 1 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you remove the slide, and look at the top front of the magazine well with the magazine removed - you can see a number (well, the earliest 42’s had no number) on a ledge under the trigger bar. For 42’s, AFAIK, there are no number (oldest), then 1 and 2 frames. Supposedly, Glock will replace, or did replace in the past, the no number frames.

·
G43 Fanboy
1,986 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering a Vickers Tac slide stop from Midway and leaving it, otherwise, as-is for now. What thinks Glock Talk? I haven't seen anything bad about the Vickers slide stop but I dunno or I wouldn't post this. ...
Congrats on your G42.
I used to use Vickers slide stop/release in my two G43s, and they worked fine. But they always felt somewhat loose and rattled in the guns because the trigger pin hole on the Vickers lever is ever so slightly larger than the that on the OEM lever. I found that Ghost extended slide stop/release fits better and won’t rattle in the gun. It also does not have the sharp edges that Vickers lever has. So, my G43s and G42 all have Ghost extended slide stop/release now.

G42 is one of my favorite Glocks and carry guns. I put the XS Big Dot night sights on my G42 to aid my aging eyes, and they seem to be working well for me.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I’ve had both the Vickers and the Ghost slide stop and I prefer the ghost. 2 of my 3 42’s have it. I left my 3rd one stock. It was a real early 42, like Oct or Nov 2013 with a no dash frame before it’s maiden trip back to Smyrna. I’m running all 03 mags now also.

·
Registered
947 Posts
My ACZAxxx has a #1 frame, and came with #3 mags
Any idea what the difference is from #1 to #2 frames?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Gents - I don't know the diffs between the #1 and #2 frames. Both this older one and the one I bought in 2017 both have #1 frames. I have a little extra cash this month so I ordered both Vickers and Ghost slide stops. I figured I'd put the Vickers on first to see how it would look, and if it would be sloppy or loose. It seems just fine and has a much better finish than the stock part. This was my first attempt at replacing a frame part so I was nervous as a cat at the rocky chair factory. Turned out to be very easy as GT, and YT, have said. I'll prolly put the Ghost stop on my newer G42.

Edited to ask: does Glock still refinish barrels?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wh
If you send to Glock, they will replace any upgraded parts as necessary (including the older mags, as you already mentioned). Have you shot it much? Any problems? Not sure I would introduce any non-OEM parts if you're worried about reliability. (i.e. if there's a problem are you gonna blame the 42 or your added parts?)

FYI, when I sent my older 42 in to Glock, they replaced several parts, the older '02' mags, and apparently did a little grinding/polishing of the barrel feed ramp (interestingly, this last bit not documented on the return invoice paperwork).

Oh, and they quoted me 6 weeks, but I got it back in, like 3 as I recall). It has been flawless thru at least 3k rounds since then.
Which also includes new connector. This really improves the trigger pull.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts