close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Question about Ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by James Dean, Feb 6, 2010.

1. James Dean

James Dean

Will a 115gr feed as well as a 124gr in a glock 17 Gen4 We all know the price of ammo is crazy it seems I can find a lot more 115gr than 124gr. What do you guys think is a good practice round, that is clean, available, and can also be used for home defense. Thanks Alex

2. cciman

cciman

Yes.

Any defense is better than no defense. More is better: G17 hold a tremendous amount of potential defense.

Cheap ammo (import military surplus) and homemade or lead not recommended for defensive purposes. Buy 20 of best you can afford to load for defense. Ball ammo will be fine-- it does do damage and feeds reliably-- if its all you've got.

Realistically, you have to break it in (test it) before trusting it with your life. Say 500 rounds, minimum.

3. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

There are lots of dead soldiers from around the world who fell to 9mm ball.

I've no desire to be shot with it.

4. u4ea

u4ea

Winchester White Box. You can get a box of 50 for around 11 bucks, and you can get a 100 round value pack for around 20 from Walmart. It's not the cleanest or best for self defense, but it is good range ammo. It's 115gr. I would never use it for self defense though since it will over-penetrate, and you don't want to hit any innocent victims.

5. RBL525

RBL525

My 19's have eaten everything i have thrown at them. I even put 500 rounds of russian surplus through them since it was all i could find post election (brown bear). worked fine, just a little dirty. Never had a malfunction of any sort.

6. den888

den888

Glocks can feed almost anything, they are that good...

7. AustinTx

AustinTx

People been telling me that the 9mm won't penetrate. Now, I don't know, what to believe. Gonna stick with 357 SIG.

8. RBL525

RBL525

I think most 9mm just bounces off. :rofl:

9. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I have yet to find the round that a Glock won't feed reliably.

Buy whatever you can find that's cheap for practice and then good SD ammo for carry. Make sure and function test a couple hundred rounds of whatever you're carrying.

10. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I would not own a 9mm pistol that can't feed and fire and eject the brass from a 124grn cartrige. The 9mm cartridge was initially based upon the 124 grain bullet. There is no doubt that the new gen for glock 9mms will love the 124grn rounds.

Austin Tex, Don't kid yourself. I don't personally use a 9mm weapon for defense because it is in my opinion a "margina" caliber. It's a confidence thing with me. I use my G-17 strictly for plinking. But I am aware that the truth is they will kill you graveyard dead. Many LEOs carry a 9 and do so with complete confidence.

11. James Dean

James Dean

I found speer 115gr HP on line. Also Federal Americian Eagle 124gr, FMJ and the winchester white box 115gr FMJ.

12. up1911fan

up1911fan

Your Glock will feed that just fine. I like WWB or BB for practice and Speer GD's for defense.

13. James Dean

James Dean

Thank You all for the input. Still a lot to learn here