Queen cancels Christmas party

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Oct 14, 2010.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

2. DougC

DougC

BFD. I've got to be honest here; I couldn't care less what the "Royal" Family does. I fail to understand the fascination that some in this country have with this clan of inbred buffoons.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Symbolism over substance. She's damned either way.

At least we don't have to worry about our president cutting back in times of hardship.

4. johnd

johnd

awwwww....shame.
    She sucks about $51 million from the taxpayers there a year and is the richest woman on earth and she wont spring for a lousy party for her servants?
    Thats the royal family for you...the end result of 1000 years of legal incest.

5. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Yep, and a very sad truth.

A lot of people despise the wealthy and even moreso when "times are tough" however, every penny the wealthy spend is good for everyone else.

There is an expression "People who build Rolls Royces need their jobs as well..." Which means that the people who make goods and services need the wealthy, even though they are not wealthy themselves AND they need them even more when times are tough.

It is a blunt truth that is very unpopular but on average, your habits produce your results in life. If you look at the habits of the wealthy vs. the habbits of the middle class and the poor, there are some obvious diferences. One of the most importantant habits is being able to gather the facts first and then apply emotion.

When you apply emotion first your results will, on average, be of a lesser quality. The history of the world has shown this over and over again. Finding an exception doesnt change that, the math has already accounted for it. (Liberal Politics being about the only thing that thrives on feelings)

Yet people keep on feeling first.

About the only thing feelings buy is opinions. Facts tend to lead to options.

7. pugman

pugman

I don't hate the rich...and I don't pity the poor

Whether she wants to say she isn't throwing the party because she wants to bond with the rest of the country....or she throws it and people say look how the rich spend their money...or she doesn't throw it and people say she is taking it out on the little guy there is a very simple truth here which trumps all of this.

Whether the queen "understands" the situation in the country the simple fact is the ultra rich aren't experiencing it.

The spokeperson for the queen says she wants to show solidarity. Exactly how is the queen relating to the country or its situation by not throwing the party?

Is she going to otherwise miss a meal? Not sleep in a warm bed that night? Worry tomorrow morning she will be fired?

And lets face it...50,000 pounds is around $80,000 U.S (today at least)

While the queen is not even in the same league as the wealthy Sheiks, she does have a estimated net worth of $600 million.

At that ratio so people can relate, it would be if someone had a net worth of $250,000 canceling a party which cost about $33...heck, that's a cheap night at a Sizzler or a case of Bud and a pizza

Don't get me wrong. Its her dime. Throw the party or don't. But don't for a second lead people to believe its because times are tough for the royals.

8. Rabbi

There are far too many facts in your post. Thus it doesnt make sense to you. (and it should because it is stupid to a thinking man and as I have said, bad for the working man)

It is an Image issue and, on average, (considering the target) it will probably have a reasonable level of desired results. To get a large group of people who feel first....well, feeling. (in a good light)

9. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

Careful now, you're getting close to insulting the regular run-of-the-mill buffoons.

10. pugman

pugman

Actually, it makes sense. Its the safe play.

I can relate. My former employer for 15+ years threw lavish Christmas parties. The company was spread all over the country so there were six parties each with a budget of around $80,000 (in 1999-2000 dollars).

They canceled the parties because they was called "Christmas" parties and not everyone celebrates Christmas...this was of course was after the last year they called it a holiday party. Being logical I said fine...call it a end of the year party...have it another time of the year. I would have had much more respect for the company if they said we are canceling it because of increasing costs or the bad behavior which started to creep up at them the last few years (think 1,000 drunk people at each party...sex in closets...hotel center pieces being stolen, etc)

Yet this same company uses Santa Claus (i.e. St Nick) in its advertising and in store promo slicks around this time of the year.

I'm just too logical for my own good

11. Rabbi

She is not the richest woman on earth. Not even close. She has a worth close to Tiger Woods, or to bring it down to earth even more, in the same ballpark as a guy who owns a larger chain of car dealerships. Oprah has more money than the Queen.

The words richest woman is probably Christy Walton (Sam's daughter-in Law) and probably top 10 in the whole world.

She could buy the Queen of England about 40 times over. Christies annual income is, in some years, close to the Queen entire worth.

12. Steve0853

Steve0853

Shucks......I had already bought a present. :crying:

13. community

community Member

gotta save $$$$$ somewhere, somehow. Why not turn down the castle heat?

14. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Maybe it's not actually about money, but more to appease the mooslems...

15. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Excellent commentary. However the quoted paragraph pertains to old money. First generation money. Not the spoiled children of the already rich.
    Witness Paris Hilton.

16. CAcop

CAcop

The concept of monarchy is silly to me. Especially when the monarch takes money from taxpayers for staff and other expenses related to her duties which governmentally speaking are next to nothing. She should stop taking public money that way she can tell people to pound sand.

Let us also be honest her whole job is symbolism.

17. RichJ

RichJ

Sorry Rabbi but you got ahold of some bad info. The Queen of England is worth about $38 billion U.S. dollars. That's actual money. Her artwork, furnishings, properties ect. is purely speculative because no one knows what price those artifacts would actually bring at auction. So go ahead and add afew more billion to that figure. Plus she is the single largest landowner in Great Britain plus she has a stake in Britains largest corporations. Truth is if the Monarchy disbanded for what ever reason, no army of lawyers could ever figure out just what and how much she owns. The "Crown" owns most of the whole of Britain. She has whole estates worth more than Tiger Woods.

18. Rabbi

I agree with that. Just know that most of the wealthy are not "spoiled children of the already rich"

19. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The whole idea of royalty is wrong. Why do they get to live on the taxpayers' dime just because of their genes? Why haven't the Brits thrown the royal family out on their rear ends and sold off their castle and crowns and all their stuff? And why are so many Americans - whose forefathers gave their lives fighting the king's troops - so fascinated with Princess Died and the rest of the inbreds?

20. Rabbi

Your information is bad. She doesnt own those things at all. There are some "tin foil" english people who thinks what you do but they are loons who throw up a lot of disinformation to get a point out (often new world order stuff) and like almost all tin foil stuff, the ultimate goal is to sell books, and they do.

Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/2001/06/26/0626queens.html

The other thing is, it is obvious to anyone who understands accounting and mega wealth that the Queen lives a pretty limited lifestyle (outside of the perks) because...well, she doesnt have a mega income or net worth. Hell, they have scaled way back, sold assets and even opened gift shops in the Palace.

Fact and anecdote point to the Queens actual net worth being well under a Billion dollars. She is rich but not RICH!!!