Quality of new hires ?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by bikerdog, May 29, 2020.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey

Just a sign of the times. A lot of qualified candidates are smart enough to realize it ain't worth it. You really have to want to do LE and be qualified. That's a hard person to find nowadays.

drizzle and ranger1968 like this.
  2. CAcop

CAcop

We have had a hard time since forever but it has gotten worse the last few years. Thankfully the academy and FTO weed out the worst. We have been taking people who made minimum standards all the way through the hiring process and they don't make it one way or another. Years ago they would have been left behind and not gotten hired. We would have filled the slots and the list would expire after a year. Now we go through the list and haven't filled spots.

Its not going to get any better any time soon.

My proposal would be to bring on AI based policing ASAP. You could start with the low hanging fruit like landlord/tennant disputes. Feed the computer transcripts of conversations between officers and the public that are approved by various groups. Then just transfer people over to an "officer" who talks to them for 10-20 minutes. Early on any crimes can be screened for by the computer by looking for key words. Then it can transfer it back to wait for a real officer to take the call. Eventually cold calls like simple thefts or smash and grab car burglaries without evidence can be handled by the computer.

If AI proves useful enough they might be turned into the tactical Droid like K2SO of Rogue One. If robots become more agile they can move on up to arrests. Just have lawyers or judges approve the arrests.

If someone gets killed in the process of the arrest, there will be no cops in jeopardy. Maybe programmers or politicians will get jailed but it won't be me.

boyscoutG36 likes this.

3. hilljo

hilljo Outstanding

Pay now or pay later. Be a little short on the street NOW or hire marginal people who will either not make probation or, WORSE.....will stay on and get promoted. USBP is dealing with that now....big hiring surge of early 2000s is coming home to roost

CAcop likes this.
  4. Sharkey

Sharkey

Yeah I am surprised they hired my cousin. Good thing he didn't put me down as a reference. He does have a degree so he is obviously smarter than me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

CAcop likes this.
  5. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

It's the same all over. In some places it's the lousy pay and benefits, but even decent pay and benefits aren't enough to guarantee a large applicant pool.

When I went through the hiring process in '96- '97, roughly 2,000 people took the written test for Lexington. By the time I'd retired, we were giving the test a half dozen times or more each hiring process and ending up with less than 200 taking the test at all. Applicants just aren't showing up anymore. If your pool is small, the lousy applicants still have a better chance.

wprebeck and CAcop like this.
  6. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

The restaurant I work at is hiring anyone with a pulse right now.

7. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

8. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

in SC youre allowed to work the road prior to going to academy.
    What I have seen an alarming amount of is keeping rookies on who have no business being here because we are so thin. People that would have been let go (or not hired) early on when I first started. The whole purpose of this is to figure out who NOT to waste money on at the academy but instead we are limping them along, sticking them w/ 4-5 different FTOs, etc. not people you want to work with.

9. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Same thing in Louisville. Papraphrasing an LMPD staff member who works in rewriting: "We're scraping the bottom of the barrel and you all (LMDC) are getting what's left".

I know our recruiting officer goes to the POPS test for LMPD and hands out applications for our department to the people who fail the test, lol. He's also done events at high schools - which is pointless, given the age limit of 21 for our department.

Last I heard, my agency was around 20-25% down from our authorized strength. And, since positions MUST be filled inside the jail - minimum staffing for safety issues - this means that most people are forced to work 16 hour shift 2-3 days a week. There's no more pension system, which means no incentive to stay - so rookies drop like flies. Seems like at least one or two newbies quit every month. Combined with the same mass retirement problem that every agency in KY has seen as of late, the jail continues to spiral down.

LMPD is no better and the people I see on the news for bad things are almost always rookies who probably shouldn't be there in the first place. I've seen three names in the past week who caught official misconduct and related charges from a PIU investigation - I knew none of them....and I worked with LMPD on a daily basis for the last 6.5 years. Even the guy who got shot two weeks ago, in my old neighborhood, was a newbie. He started the academy in 2018 and based on what I know of their training times,jist went solo recently.

Too many new cops out there combined with too many people who shouldn't have been hired in the first place equals a very bad thing. It's almost like we tried to warn the politicians back in 2013, right Dave?

Dukeboy01 likes this.
  10. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

We'd do the same with our washouts. There were a few times that there was somebody who the background guys liked but who just weren't ready to be police officers that they would actually try to help get on with the jail or as a safety officer so that they could get some experience or whatever.

11. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

The quality of candidates get proportionally better - once you weed out the mouth breathers and booger eaters !

CAcop likes this.
  12. SK2344

SK2344

Well, from the time I was hired in 1997 to several years ago when I retired, IMO the Standards have been lowered in the Police/Security Industry, without a doubt! This is from my observation of over 15 years and seeing Officers hired today who would have been weeded out years ago. I am NOT saying that all these new people are not doing a good job today but I just know that there is a difference in the hiring standards!

13. bikerdog

bikerdog

That’s true. But when you have 4 open spots and only three candidates. And they are all booger eaters you are left in a bad spot and it’s virtually impossible to weed them out.

pgg00 likes this.
  14. blueiron

blueiron

A former commander at my agency who somehow managed to get hired as a chief at a small agency is now openly soliciting people who failed FTO programs at other agencies [apparently the more the better].

He believes that he can correct poor judgment, indecisiveness, laziness, and other UNSAT conditions in LE.

15. pgg00

pgg00

Sitting on a ticking bomb that way. Probably hoping he is retired by the time it detonates

CAcop and blueiron like this.
  16. Bradley T

Bradley T

17. bikerdog

bikerdog

That used to be common place around here with the smaller agencies. For a bit it was the preferred tactic by some of the smaller agencies. But now we don’t wash anyone so the hiring pool of failure dried up.

CAcop and blueiron like this.
  18. blueiron

blueiron

He is a retired USAF SMSgt, a retired PD Commander, has an AZ State civil service retirement, and has another investment plan from his current employer.

He is all about himself and hoping to string it out to $250k a year for the rest of his days when he walks off.

CAcop and pgg00 like this.
  19. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

We seem to be getting plenty of people that can make it through training and do fine on patrol. However, we are one of the largest and well-paid agencies in the state, with good benefits. Maybe there's something to that.....

CAcop likes this.
  20. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Weird how treating staff well plus a decent benefits package can draw in talent, isn't it?

serve_and_protect likes this.