Quality of new hires ?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by bikerdog, May 29, 2020.

1. bikerdog

bikerdog

So as the title implies, what are the quality of candidates most are seeing of new hires.

Personally locally we aren’t seeing very good candidates. And even though we lowered hiring standards we are getting fewer and fewer people passing backgrounds, mainly from what I’ve heard because of drug use.

I ask cause looking at what’s happening right now, I wonder where we will be in another 10 years, when the lower quality candidates we have been hiring lately around here are having to deal with major events like what’s going on now.

Saddest thing around here is we have had so many candidates fail backgrounds lately that we have lowered FTO standards because we can’t afford to take someone who passed backgrounds and fail them out of FTO. Which will undoubtedly cause issues in the future. But I get admins position too, we need body’s on the streets but at what cost ?

2. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Where is locally?

If I make the jump and decide to try to change careers, I might be a candidate.

Not sure if I count as "high quality" though. I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. :animlol:

fx77 likes this.

3. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I have seen splendid examples of a young generation that is both industrious and hard working. Like all of us, I have also see examples of the opposite in all generations.

I remember studying the differences between generations during some post-grad work. It struck me that the qualities of loyalty and starting at the bottom scored particularly low among today’s younger folks. Doesn’t mean anything derogatory as much as it paints a picture of how the younger generation is motivated in comparison to say, Boomers.

Here’s my point. I understand your concern completely and society has to recognize that starting pay for LEOs, when compared to the level of responsibility we all expect, is way off. Most of us would agree with that.

Pay and incentives need to become more attractive since other factors don’t equate to this group’s sense of self worth.

The military is having the same problem. The answer, I think, is to change incentives but not to lower the standards.

Easier said than done.

glockophile42 likes this.
  4. Crane1

Crane1

My work does all hourly new hires thru a temp agency. The temp agency does the background check and drug test. If they work out as a temp, they get a chance to become full-time. Even then, some don't make it after they become full-time.

I had a temp position that I supervised and it was hard to find someone that really wanted to work.

Sharkey likes this.
  5. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Some PD's hire temporary officers through temp agencies?

Interesting.

I didn't know that.

6. Crane1

Crane1

No, I didn't know this was in reference to LEOs. Sorry.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  7. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

No worries!

:cheers:

8. pgg00

pgg00

We have had some good candidates. The biggest thing is number of applicants now. When I started in the 90s you would have 2000 applicants for 2 openings. Now you have 16 applicants, and most of those have applied to multiple agencies so it's a race on who can hire them first. Then we have some fail background, psych, academy, FTO and probation. Plus those that have a reality check when they hit the street and quit. We are lucky to get one person on the street for each recruitment session. Alot of times we don't

Sharkey, fastbolt and Dukeboy01 like this.
  9. bikerdog

bikerdog

This has been super prevalent around here as well. When I first got hired there were a little over 200 of us testing for 2 spots. That was 12 years ago. Now we’re lucky to have 30 testing for 2 spots and more likely in the teens. So this could be a huge driving factor as well.

vista461 and pgg00 like this.
  10. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Where is "around here"?

Depending on location, I might be interested.

11. bikerdog

bikerdog

Idaho panhandle Just outside Spokane Wa.

serve_and_protect and pgg00 like this.
  12. pgg00

pgg00

Northwest Washington here above Seattle

serve_and_protect likes this.
  13. bikerdog

bikerdog

Defiantly not a location I envy. I’ve met some guys working on that side of the state. I’ve not heard anything good coming from them other than pay.

serve_and_protect and pgg00 like this.
  14. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Cool! Thanks for the info!

15. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Thanks for the info pgg00!

pgg00 likes this.
  16. Sfaql

Sfaql

I ran into a LEO that used to live across from me . He just retired and told me when he took the test in the early ‘80s , 7,000 signed up, for it , the last test 400 did . Before you needed a score in the upper 90’s or 100, now a passing score of 70 and they’ll get to, you .
    Western NY

17. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

I could type on this topic for days. Experienced, good people are sick and tired of the job and the department(s) and walking. There is no one left. New recruits are abysmal. We are hiring anyone that brings an application, and it is showing. These people should not be on the street, but guess what, they brought an application in, and that's more than most people do! no one wants to do the job.

even on the state level SC is crippled with manpower issues. When you have ONE trooper assigned to an entire COUNTY that is PATHETIC!!!

18. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

NYPD used to give the tri-agency test with transit police and housing police. Same police academy but some would go to housing and others transit.

About 50,000 or more would take the test. 1 out of 8 would qualify past the prequalifying medical and background investigations.
    Remember that the NYPD academy classes were 2500 to 3000 people at a time.

Now, they had walk in tests and can’t get enough people to fill 500 person class with any regularity.

The answer is simple. People make mistakes. Some bigger than others. If a cop loses his cool and drops an f-bomb out of their mouths and nothing more, they make it like it was they raped someone. They expect robocop in robocop 2.

It’s time the public to learn that people will only take so much and that cops are people.

Fighting a cop used to worse than the crime that they were being originally arrested for. Now resisting arrest is okay and even encouraged. And by the DAs now too.
    People also have to learn reasonable suspicion to be stopped doesn’t mean you did it. Or that the cop should believe you even if it’s the truth. But from his perspective, your actions would be suspicious.

And people have to be less sensitive to the truth and more sensitive to how others might perceive them. If you dress and act a certain way, you are advertising a product you might not be selling. It’s just a fact. You might like to run in combat boots and jeans but if a cop sees you running dressed like that he might want to know what are you running toward or from. Maybe he might not stop you, but observe at a minimum.

I think a public education program is in order rather than “ more training “ for the police. Like what to do at a car stop as a driver and passenger.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  19. blueiron

blueiron

What ever the rate is currently, it is nearly certain to get worse with the riots now. While the Rodney King thing happened in another state, we felt the drop off effects for several years.

20. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

We get good ones still but not enough to fill open positions. Thye lowered teh standards and it shows. We have been hitting about a 40% fail rate through FTO. It's killing our FTO's snce they are gettign burnt out with constant training.