Quality crates?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by obxemt, Feb 1, 2010.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I need a quality (wire?) crate for my Mal. My $50 plastic Remington crate has held up fantastic, but she needs more of a permanent home. It is getting a bit small and I don't think is vented enough for her. I'd like to keep it around $150, give or take.

I've done some internet searches but I want input on specific models from people who have actually used them.

Thanks! :wavey:

PS - something like this would be great, just for a grand less:
    http://www.elitek9.com/Crates/kustom_krate.htm

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. Shasta69

Shasta69

Holy Smokes that is one nice kennel!

You need one for a vehicle or at home?

I have a X-Large one from Pet Smart. Bought it on sale ran around $130. It's been holding up for the pig-headed GSD. :supergrin:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3622441

I would also check Craigslist (AKA Flakelist) in your area.

3. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Primarily for the hizzle. Though it would do occasional double duty in S-U-Vizzle.

4. Mattyd

Mattyd

We use a Remington right now but. It is ok, just ok. The gate is not the best quaity on the latch system. The bottom is also slotted on the sides like the top half so a lot of hair and dirt gets out on the wall and floor. I like PetPorter better and their deminsions fit the insulated crate cover I use in the back of my jeep for the winter. Remingtons are too big for the crate covers at Cabelas.

5. Platz

Platz

Completely and totally not anything like the kennel you posted the link to (though it is quite nice!), however, if you look at the "airline" type kennels here's my two cents on two of the better ones on the market that are commonly available:

Petmate "furrari"
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...e+furrari&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADFA_enUS356&sa=N&um=1

Very nice kennel: I would never, EVER, have paid this kind of money for a cage but I got it nearly new (only used a couple of months) for $50 or $60 bucks. I love the latchs on the side. They are much more durable than one would initially be led to believe. The bottom is not very thick. It seems to be holding up fine, but I can press it down easily. You'll know it's the furrari model when you see the sloped side design. Good quality overall.

I also have this one: http://www.petco.com/product/6227/Petmate-Traditional-Vari-Kennel-Giant-Portable-Kennel.aspx
    They have a few lines going, from cheapie's to very strong. This is the strongest I've found. For a large GSD or other breed you can't beat it. It is VERY heavy duty. Runs about $230 - $275 in stores here depending on who you're looking at. Standard nuts and bolts on the sides. I love this cage, and highly recommend it to people.

I used to prefer the wire ones and still have one set up, but much prefer the airline type for indoor use now because if the dogs come in wet, etc. and shake or if they come in after playing in a mud puddle, the dirt and water stays in the cage and doesn't get shaken all over my house like in a wire cage.

If you are not opposed to buying used or gently used, keep an eye on your local craigslist pet section. You can find all sorts of good deals on there. I got the furrari there ($50 or $60), as well as the petmate vari kennel (I think around $60, maybe $75). Most people will negotiate. People sell all sorts of junky used rusted cages on there, but if you keep your eyes peeled or post what you're looking for, you may be surprised at what you find.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. magpie maniac

magpie maniac

Otto uses the Midwest Life Stages crate in the largest size (48"x30"x33"). Mobile, very sturdy and durable, and has a removable pan for cleaning. Also has a divider panel in case your dog has to grow into it. I can't say enough good things about this crate. Price ranges from $50 to $100 depending on the size.

I often place a small blanket or towel over the top to give him that den or cave-like feeling. :)

7. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

I like this style too - have used them for about 25 years for my mal(amute)s, but only consider the collapsing ones. They fold for transport or storage, they're sturdy, and my dogs have always loved them. I initially got a wire crate that didn't fold, and regretted it ever since. I also have some of the large "airline kennels", but I find them too hard to clean and transport.

The elitek9 carte looks snazzy, but it seems to be overkill for your intended use. It's also going to be heavy relative to a wire crate, and there's many times I've wished the wire crates were lighter than they are. In those large sizes, none of them are featherweights.

I wouldn't worry about cost. You buy it once, and use it for many dog's lifetimes. Get the one you really want.

I also second the idea of getting a used one. They don't really wear out, and are easily disinfect-able. I've even picked up a few free ones over the years of varying sizes.