close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Quads are NOT used in squats??

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Drjones, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Drjones

Drjones

An article from this website in July 2003 states the following:

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm

WTF?????

I used to do squats all the time and know for a fact they work your quads!

Heck, I haven't been working my legs in a looooooong time and recently did some squats and guess what part of my body was sore?

It sure wasn't my triceps. :upeyes:

Does anyone here have any clue WTF these guys are talking about?

Are they just completely off their rockers?

2. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

I think what their saying is that squatting doesn't work just the quads only. Or that squats are not a quad specific exercise and they would be right. Squats work about 70% of the muscles in your body. Quads,Glutes,Hams if you go deep enough,Calves,Spinal erectors and abs for stabilization. Hell squats are pretty much a full body workout to be honest!

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

With powerlifting-style squats, the quads are used very little. Using a wide stance, and sitting back, rather than straight down (the knees do not go forward past the instep, and often not at all), the hips and hamstrings do the majority of the work. That technique increases leverage and minimizes the distance to travel so that more weight can be lifted. I have big hips and waist, decent-sized hamstrings and small quads for that very reason.

Louie Simmons, the author, knows what he is talking about. He has been in powerlifting since the early 70s, and has squatted over 800 in his mid-50s. He owns Westside Barbell, a private powerlifting gym in Ohio, the home of dozens of the world's strongest powerlifters.

4. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks, ateamer.

I realize that squats work many other muscles in the body, but didn't know that powerlifting-style squats do not, in fact, work the quads.

Interesting...

So the guys at Westside Barbell know what they are talking about, then?

5. DBradD

DBradD

If he doesn't like leg extensions, leg presses, and squats, then what DOES he recommend for quads? Hack squats? That's about all that's left except for obscure stuff.

BTW, I agree with him on leg presses. I've done a lot of them, but it's easy to crank the lower back and have problems.

DBD

6. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

You have to remember that Simmons and Westside are about powerlifting, not bodybuilding. If you look at the articles on the link Drjones posted, you'll see they're about building the lifts, not bodyparts.

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

A little bit. If you check out their totals page, they've got some ridiculous number of people over 2500 total for the 3 lifts, and more than a few who go over 1000 for the squat.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

According to the website, Westside has had 66 members with an Elite (the highest ranking in powerlifting) three-lift total. 41 have totalled over 2000; 33 have benched over 550, 18 over 600 and five over 700. They have at least 28 800+ squatters, 10 over 900 and three have squatted over 1,000 (I think there are some more since the article with those numbers was published). Louie Simmons has totalled elite in five weight classes. Despite what some people say, not all of them were excellent powerlifters when they started with Westside; some were pretty mediocre and became Elite through training, hard work and dedication.

Despite being a world-class lifter and coach (he not only works with powerlifters, but also with NFL teams and universities), Louie Simmons makes himself very available to anyone who calls and needs help. He has talked to me several times on the phone, and had some very helpful suggestions that fixed the problem. He doesn't charge for advice either. He actually asked me to call him back and tell him how the lifts were coming.

By the way, Westside DOES work for drugfree lifters. It got my squat up to 722, and I would have hit 727 good and solid had my hamstring not self-destructed when at the bottom. I also totalled 1845 having never used anything on the Banned Substances List or any type of prohormone or any supplement more potent than protein powder and creatine. The Westside system simply combines speed work with maximum effort work to produce a sum that is more than the total of its parts.

Their standards are very high. They won't put up with anyone who doesn't want to be the best, and won't put out 100% on every workout.