close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Qu8estion for Mac users.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mochahooligan, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

Thinking bout changing from PC to an I Mac. Stopped by the Apple store today and did a little research. I like it lots but the $$ is crazy. What are you all using and how do you like it. Thanks in advance. And BTW I was looking at the 27" Mac.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

You get SO much more for the $$$ and it will be functional for over twice as long as a PC. Get the Mac and you will wonder why you did not make the switch sooner!

As for Apple user hardware specs, we really don't pay attention to such things. I buy a new MacBook every few years but have no idea of the specs.

3. Resqu2

Resqu2

My 21" IMac cost no more than my last HP pc, The 17" Mac Book Pro and the 27" IMac are pricy. You should really take a long look and really think if you want that big of a screen. Play with both and then decide, I did and got the 21" IMac and LOVE it!!

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

17" Macbook Pro (MBP)
    15" MBP
    13" MBP
    13" Macbook
    11" Macbook Air
    Ipad2 x3
    2 iphones
    2 apple tv

I've given 2 macbooks away as gifts and both people converted.

I have no use for a desktop machine

5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Go big or go home. :D The 27" is the only way to go. Unless, of course you can go bigger. I have a 27" and a 17" and am looking to toss the 17 and get another 27". You can never have too much screen real estate.

Regarding the iMac. It's a good machine that will last you for years, I've been using Macs for about 10 years now and only gone through 1 in that time. Not because of obsolescence or failure, my original 12" Powermac G4 is still going strong, but because I replaced it with a tablet for travel and 27" iMac for home. I gave it to a friend who still uses it.

I think the problem with Win machines is that MS tries to cram every conceivable bug, I mean feature, into the OS which tends to overwhelm the hardware very quickly.

So, I say go for the Mac, you'll love it and it will definitely last longer than a Win based machine.

Having said that I won't be buying another. I "accidentally" completely blew away the iMac's hardware specs when I built my server, for about 1/3 of the cost. My next machine will still be running Mac OS, but be completely home built.

6. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

2011 17" MacBookPro
    IPAD II
    IPod Touch 4thGen

Been a PC user since 1989.
    Adopted Mac in 2011, very pleased.

I like the MBPro because its a complete, desktop replacement, fully equipped that can fold up and go anywhere and still do anything. DVDs/CDs, etc. Computing horsepower, multi tasking, large screen, wifi, 3 USB ports. Picked it up as it was in a primo part of its product cycle, just past recent updating. Intel processor and Snow Leopard go a long way capacity/ability.

Having fun now with the techie side of it, that it runs on UNIX and has PHP, PERL, RUBY and PYTHON pre-loaded.

iMovie is awesome.

Some weaknesses but not a lot.

My 3 USB ports are too close together, my VzW cellular modem gets in the way of one.

Numbers is not as spiffy as Excel, but does the job and both reads and exports Excel, similarly Pages does the ins and outs with WORD.

It cannot load Access, still have to use PC for that since I'm not dual booting.

Swtiching over was a little strange till I got used to it now its invisible..keystroke commands are different, etc.

Hardware quality and form factors are beyond awesome.

I'd like to get a 27" thunderbolt display.

Another config I'd consider is getting a MacBookAir to roll with and plug it into a Thunderbolt display as a docking station.

A 27" IMAC would be a hoot with macbook air for the field.

You can't go wrong.

Its actually cheaper in the long run to go with a Mac. It doesn't try to kill you later on with death by a thousand cuts. Everything you need is on it, or you can get apps for pocket change, and everything you don't need like bloatware, junky trial software…is NOT on it.

It can crash, or lock up…but rarely so. Usually not till I have it booted up for months straight does it ever get cranky and then it just freezes up, doesn't get all pissy and slow down like a PC. Takes 45 seconds to reboot it. Speed is awesome.

Raw boot from cold/dead is 30 seconds. You can get 15seconds with a SSD. Seen it, done it. Its real.

No virus issues to speak of.

7. random southpaw

random southpaw

I changed over from PC to Mac 3 1/2 years ago. That decision stands out as one of the very best that I have made.

Now, my wife and son both use Macs as well.

My son had an iPod and thought it was a killer product.

Now, he and I both have iPhones and neither of us has any regrets about choosing the iPhone.

Product quality, lack of software bugginess, superior customer service and the sheer longevity of each product.

Swallow hard, pay the higher price and then savor the multiple strong benefits for many years.

8. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

i paid more for my macbook pro, but it doesn't freeze, it doesn't start doing random thigns just because it wants too and for 3yrs if it breaks they'll fix/repair it.

9. Zonny

Zonny

LOVE my 13" MacBook Air!!

Next desktop will be an iMac of some sorts.

10. ericridebike

ericridebike

One thing to think about to make the price difference easier to swallow. With the Mac you won't need antivirus, spyware, etc... software that you most likely have to renew(pay for) every year or so on a PC. That and the fact that it starts up fast & rarely if ever locks up/freezes is worth the price difference.

11. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

The cost is higher than the bottom-dollar PCs, but you get what you pay for. A Lexus costs more than a Kia.

I'm not a Mac person. I'm a Linux/UNIX person. If I didn't do image and video editing, I would not own a Mac, since I don't need all those little niceties (the hardware features or the software design)... but I would certainly miss them.

12. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Parts are made in China just like the PC's. Longevity and quality are subjective.

Macs are good computers and are more stable and secure than Windows machines.

14. syntaxerrorsix

I found that ironic as well as I type away on a 2001 motherboard with Ubuntu :supergrin:

15. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Longevity is not subjective. It's measurable. As is durability. Quality is only subjective if you have no metrics to judge by.

Macs tend to have very high quality hardware, as do some PCs. Just about ALL computer parts are made in China, but it doesn't mean they're all low-end. China produces the highest and lowest end computer parts in existence, and what makes the difference is the budget to build them. Apple just doesn't have a product line aimed at the low-end market.

16. Sechott

Sechott

My macbook 13" is 4 years old now and not one virus, crash or anti-virus payment. It runs strong, I just need to replace the battery. Macs are better built, more stable and user friendly. I forgot how to use windows, I guess that is the biggest downside. No other reason to buy a PC unless you like PC gaming, but that is what the console systems are for. Sometime you might not be able to get certain features on a website, it is not as bad as use to be and getting better all the time.

17. syntaxerrorsix

Ok, I do agree with you. I should have specifically said that Macs don't corner the market on longevity or quality as Flipper suggested. It simply isn't true.

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Had a Mac Pro custom built about 5 years ago to run Photoshop and other graphics programs. The cost was brutal but it is a monster. Fast, 30 inch screen, auto backup with Time Machine, and no virus related problems ever. I work on some VERY large files and massive scans of 8X10 inch negatives and run a 44in Epson 9880 printer with no problems.

Down side is I still need a PC laptop because some work programs don't run well on a Mac. But to me that is just a business expense.

19. Resqu2

Resqu2

Parallels works great for the occasional windows program that you need to access , or bootcamp it at no cost if you don't mind restarting when you need to access your Windows program. I have found Windows runs much better on my Apple products than on a PC, it's probable because its a clean install without all the vendor add on's?

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

12 seconds :supergrin: