Q: Trucker using Emergency (warning or hazard) flashers

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Dan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Dan

Dan

Had a truck driver pretty upset with a VA Trooper the other day. He was talking to the other drivers in the staging area while waiting to gain access on base. I was going over his contents and he started telling me how the Trooper wrote him a ticket for using his 4-way flashers going up the mountain since he was driving at a low speed. I said "I thought that was normal for truckers to do that?" He told me the Trooper said "you can not use Emergency flashers while driving on the roads unless you are in an emergency."

I told him I never heard of that. I always thought when truckers did that it was more of an hazard or warning flasher to warn drivers coming up from behind.

I guess I was wrong but I do see it a lot on the road. Is that an actual law and is it really enforced?

2. sct4a

sct4a

Its VA what do you expect. They'll even write marked cars there. He's lucky they didnt write him for any other bs traffic laws they have.

3. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I'm now retired but in a previous life I drove commercial vehicles in an around VA state in the mid 70's an that law was on the books then

4. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

I've gotta wonder what you mean by this. Seems like you have a negative opinion for a specific reason.

I've yet to have a negative interaction or hear of any overall negativity for Va Troopers.

Just because something is common practice doesn't make it legal. Should they just excuse college kids from underage drinking since everyone does it?

5. Hearmoretalkless

Hearmoretalkless

They aren't called "emergency flashers" or "emergency lights". In fact, they aren't called "emergency" anything. They are HAZARD lights or 4-way flashers.

If you are presenting a HAZARD on the road (moving slowly up a mountain pass is a GREAT example) then I expect that you would use your "hazard lights".

If that trucker had been telling me that story, I would have urged him to fight that charge in court.

6. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Truckers do it all the time here. I have a lot more to worry with than something like that.

7. blueiron

blueiron

It is a violation in AZ to use hazard lamps in the manner described by the OP.

Here they can be used only when a vehicle is disabled or parked. The only vehicles that are exempt are authorized emergency vehicles, school buses, and snow removal equipment.

I am certain some other states are the same way. If it is a law, it can be enforced and someone is sure to do it.

8. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

I'm a TN Deputy that works the Interstate and I agree with you on this one too.

In fact if anyone gets a citation it would be for creatiing a hazard by impeding the flow of traffic without the Hazard Lights flashing !

9. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Here in Utah we have road signs that tell slow trucks on steep grades to use their flashers.

10. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Hard to believe that's the whole story. I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I have a feeling the trucker also forgot to put on his "don't be a dick to the cop" warning lights to remind him how to behave on a traffic stop.

Randy

11. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

The reference to "over the mountain" also leads credence to a specific strip of road, especially with the OP's location. This mountain is littered with problems, and truck drivers that don't much care what they are doing while going up or coming down it. I agree with above, the driver left out the actual reason for the ticket. The stop maybe do to with the lights, the ticket.....sounds like someone didn't know when to shut up.

12. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Trucks do it all the time coming up the hill to Flagstaff. However, like BI stated, state law says you can't. Of course, you aren't supposed to drive 71 in a 70 either, but people do it and often LEOs use discretion and don't make a traffic stop. It doesn't mean they lawfully can't. Sounds like the same thing here. Just because its common place, doesn't mean its legal.

13. Flattop67

Flattop67

I hate when it rains in Fla....everyone thinks they need to put their flashers on. Can barely see and I always think I'm coming up on a parked vehicle. I will admit tho, when on my bike and it pours, I put my flashers on so as to be seen better.

14. intimig8r99

intimig8r99

§ 46.2-1040. Hazard lights.

Motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers, when temporarily stopped on the traveled or paved portion of the highway so as to create a traffic hazard, shall flash all four turn signals simultaneously to signal approaching motorists of the existing hazard whenever such vehicle is equipped with a device which will cause the four turn signals to flash simultaneously. All four turn signals may be flashed simultaneously on a vehicle slowed or stopped at the scene of a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or when traveling at a speed of thirty miles per hour or less. Except for vehicles traveling as part of a funeral procession, all four turn signals shall not be flashed simultaneously while the vehicle is traveling faster than thirty miles per hour.

School buses shall flash all four turn signals when approaching and stopping at railroad grade crossings.

(Code 1950, § 46-303; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-299; 1962, c. 89; 1968, c. 99; 1972, c. 445; 1974, c. 347; 1979, c. 44; 1989, c. 727; 2001, c. 359.)

Probably forgot to turn them off and had an attitude afterwards.

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

In some states the road signs say Must use flashers below 45mph.

16. blueiron

blueiron

My guess is that he was on a tight schedule or running behind. He got stopped and his displeasure was evident. The trooper didn't care for the expression/s of displeasure and ink spanked him.

I see it all the time on I17 and haven't seen any truckers stopped for it, nor have I ever stopped anyone for it.

The only similar thing that bothers me are tow trucks, construction/utility vehicles, and the like; driving around with their lightbars on and no where near a jobsite. Many drivers panic and it turns the roadway into an ethnic fire drill.

17. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

We have some knuckle heads around here who think they need to flash ambers all of the time they are in their truck. It sometimes makes me wish I was a street cop.

18. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

What state?

19. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1040

I did a quick bit of research. It looks like it came from this site.

§ 46.2-1040. Hazard lights.

Motor vehicles, trailers, and semitrailers, when temporarily stopped on the traveled or paved portion of the highway so as to create a traffic hazard, shall flash all four turn signals simultaneously to signal approaching motorists of the existing hazard whenever such vehicle is equipped with a device which will cause the four turn signals to flash simultaneously. All four turn signals may be flashed simultaneously on a vehicle slowed or stopped at the scene of a traffic hazard, when traveling as part of a funeral procession, or when traveling at a speed of thirty miles per hour or less. Except for vehicles traveling as part of a funeral procession, all four turn signals shall not be flashed simultaneously while the vehicle is traveling faster than thirty miles per hour.

School buses shall flash all four turn signals when approaching and stopping at railroad grade crossings.

(Code 1950, § 46-303; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-299; 1962, c. 89; 1968, c. 99; 1972, c. 445; 1974, c. 347; 1979, c. 44; 1989, c. 727; 2001, c. 359.)

It could be that the truck driver may be correct, according to the section highlighted in blue, unless there is another law he would be in violation of.