close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q:Hunting turkeys with scoped shotguns

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Apr 10, 2003.

1. noway

noway

I was talking to a guy last night that told me a story that some states have bans on hunting the turkeys with scoped weapons.

Have anybody heard of any such rules like this?

2. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

I havent heard of it yet, at least not in my state. Do you know if it will effect any other animal?
    At least to me, I dont see a point in putting a scope on a shotgun.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I've heard that in some states it is shotgun only but I've never looked it up. (We don't officially have wild turkeys in Alaska).

I have a Ruger 77/22mag Stainless that I plan to use on turkeys and groundhogs after I retire and move south. It will shoot a 3/8 inch group at 100 yards. It is the shootiness rifle I own.

4. method

method

The reason I can think of is that a scope gathers light, and will afford the shooter more hunting time, and better visibility (while making the shot) under less than favorable lighting. Rethink your spread estimates, that would only work out to a 10" pattern at 40 yards.

5. noway

noway

That's a strange point of view, but a opposite point that I learn when I whent to a hunting seminar back in Mi about 10yrs ago and I remember the director of the show stating that scopes help in id'ing targets making taking game safer for fellow hunters and game.

I can't think of one disadvantage with using a scope.

btw: the state I heard it was illegal in( scope for turkey ) was AL or SC. Is this true?

6. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I know alot of states it is illegal to use a rifle, especially for spring gobbler. Have never heard of a scope being illegal on the shotgun though. Scopes can be a big aid in today's turkey hunting. With the new turkey loads & hevi shot and with the super tight turkey chokes some people are throwing some super tight patterns, especially around the 25 yard line. Myself I use Williams Fire Sights and love them. Scopes are also good for people with poor vision who have trouble with iron or fiber optic sights.

7. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I've also never heard of a state limiting the sight device - only the caliber and the type of gun.

8. method

method

I know there's states that disallow the use of telescopic sights on muzzleloaders during certain seasons.