close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q for those who know how to build a website?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by RMTactical, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

OK, here's the deal.

My IT guy who I have been using since late '06 for my website ( www.rockymountaintactical.net for some unknown reason it is down right now as well. Don't know why. ) has basically fallen off the face of the earth. I haven't been able to contact him in any way for several months and I have some things I am going to need to take care of soon with it.

Me, I am a complete moron when it comes to any of this stuff. He made the admin section I use on my site easy to use for me, but I don't know how much control I have over the site from this access point.

I have some things I need done to my site, such as updating my SSL (in a couple months), PCI compliance, maybe getting me new hosting (since I don't know when this hosting will expire), etc...

Basically, I need a new IT person to do the work on my site, although this is not what I am looking for yet, I want to make sure I have everything I need to give that person before I have some folks bid on the job.

What information will I need to have for a person who would do this work? I have various passwords for other things such as "ftp login information" (whatever that means), and DNS and the Host Server that we are using, etc...

Will this be all that I need to give to the person who works for me in order to maintain my site and make the necessary adjustments from time to time?

Thanks for any and all help in this manner.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. Toyman

Toyman

Is this a control panel such as Plesk, CPanel, or something custom he made?

3. RMTactical

Maybe... I am not sure. It allows me to change the writing on the front page, add products, pricing, etc...

4. Toyman

Toyman

I haven't been able to get to your site, is it working?

5. RMTactical

It was down yesterday for some unknown reason. Appears to be up right now. Must have been something to do with the hosting. It has been good for the most part, but that is one of the reasons I posted this yesterday. When that kind of thing use to happen I could contact my IT guy and he would let me know what was going on and how long it might last. Now, when something like that happens I am in the dark.

6. Toyman

Toyman

Yeah, that's a bad thing to have happen, especially on a business site.

It's hard to tell if you have enough info (logins and passwords) for the person to make the changes you need for the SSL. My server has a control panel where I can install certificates right from a web page, but I haven't done anything with certificates on the web.

If you have the GoDaddy password you'll be able to point the name servers elsewhere, so at least you can move to another server (if your missing IT guy is hosting it).

Moving to another server may not be such an easy task, as the shopping cart probably uses a MySQL database, which would need to be moved.

7. RMTactical

Hmmm... That is troubling. Looks like I have some things to try and figure out...

Thank you for your helpful input.

8. JimmyN

JimmyN

I visited your site and did some poking around.

It looks like the site design and development (your IT guy) was done by www.kodeman.net. A check on them reveals the domain name has now expired and is for sale. I couldn't find anything else, and that doesn't look good if you are expecting support, as kodeman.net doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Your web site is hosted by gplhost.com on a server in Tampa. The server is running Debian Linux with Apache 2.2.9. The admin (control panel) you've been using is provided by the web hosting company as part of the hosting plan, that's typical for most, and your IT guy just claimed credit for it. Since you're on a virtual server the control panel gives you access to your 'virtual' server only, and you're limited in what you can do.

I'm guessing your guy purchased the hosting plan for resale, since gplhost offers plans for resellers, then set up the web site for you. If you have made payments to gplhost for the web hosting then you have your own 'plan'. If you made payments to kodeman.net then he was a reseller and you're actually on his 'plan'.

You may not have access to upgrade the certificate, but most hosting companies will take care of that for you. I noticed that gplhost has plans for commercial sites that include the SSL certificate, but it depends on what hosting package you have.

The down time is a result of the web hosting company and their equipment/network, not the site itself. At the price of gplhosting packages I'm sure they don't guarantee 100% up time for their servers.

Keep in mind that there are two parts to this. Your website is hosted on a web server, in this case it's on a gplhost server. That is the physical equipment that serves up your website when someone types in your domain name. Since it's a virtual server your access and ability to change things will probably be limited to what you can do in the Control Panel (admin).

Then you have the actual 'website', the scripts and images that are loaded on the server, this is the part your IT guy provided. Your FTP access is used to change/edit those files on your 'virtual' server.

I can give you a quote for maintenance/changes if you need it. Instead of a monthly charge I would charge by the job when you need something done, depending on how long it would take me.

Our company has it's own server, and we host a number of other business sites on it as well as our company site, plus I take care of several other web sites. I do this stuff all the time, it's the biggest part of my 'job'.

So PM me if you're interested and I'll help you figure out what you have and your choices free of charge, since we're both Glocktalk members and therefore almost related.:supergrin: