close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q for the retired and former LE people

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Mar 15, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

My local PD is frankly being run by an incompetent CALEA fanboy. He is firing people for questionable reasons and the local POA is against him.

My question is as follows: Do any of you former or retired cops sit on volunteer public review boards, commissions involving the oversight of L.E., etc.? For those that have, is it worthwhile to so? Drawbacks? Benefits?

I worked for a completely different agency and my residence is now being served by this out of control chief and with the limited contact I have had with the agency brass, I am appalled by their gladhanding PR machine and lack of real service to the community.

2. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

Blueiron, I am surprised that you still are very concerned about your former department! I am not. I now live 400 miles from where I used to work but even if I did still live in the city I would not care enough to get involved on my own time. Mainly because what difference could a retired detective have and the stress would cause me to go postal!

Good luck but I would think long and hard before becoming involved in the decision making process. I like retirement too much! :cool:

3. blueiron

blueiron

This is for the department where I live now, not for my former agency.

4. COBRA90GT

COBRA90GT

Not retired, but do have a related story...

A neighboring town used to have a "police review board" made up of citizens, policymakers, and retired PD or FD / public safety officials, etc.

The Chief of the PD did not enjoy the oversight of "his" department by this "review board" (who were truly level headed folks). So, what did the Chief do to "fix" the "problem?"

The Chief disbanded the review board. Poof. Gone. LOL :supergrin:

The lesson ? Beware of politics (of course, it's a given). It might not be worth the stress, but then again, it could help you "steer" the community you live in, to a certain degree. Checks and balances, I suppose...

G'luck with your decision.

5. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Make sure it's bona fide and not just a rubber stamp committee or an advisory only committee where you can say what you want but the Chief can ignore it all he wants.

You will just be frustrated and waste your time.

6. blueiron

blueiron

Having checked into it, the board has the authority to overturn employee terminations by the chief and the city manager.

The chief is firing officers for questionable reasons and then claiming secrecy to preclude and prevent the media and others from looking into his actions. Of course, the city manager upholds all of his actions.

It is not merely an advisory board.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Sounds like you spent enough time to dig into it and thinking about it. Just do it. It's obvious you still care and you won't rest well knowing you could have but didn't.

8. Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dan Sez---
    The day I retired I ceased to care what the local PD did. I was out of it...
    Free at last ect...
    I let out a deep breath and began the rest of my life.

9. mikegun

mikegun

Very, very well put.