close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q:back-eyes peas ......and....no not the group ;)

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Jan 23, 2006.

1. noway

noway

Anybody have any black-eyes peas receipes to share. I ate last night at a country style restraurant and man their peas where great. They even had the "all black" pea that I accustom to that my dad would grow when I was younger ( same size as the black eye with no eye and it's all black ).

The chef wouldn't tell me their secret but it was cooked very good and thicken with alittle corn starch or flour from what I can tell.

Now I need to find some fresh black-eyes peas to shell and get the pot out ;)

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I fry bacon crisp. Remove from the pan, and when cool crumble it.

In the pan with the bacon grease I saute chopped celery and chopped onions.

If the peas are canned I mix and some times add Ro*tel, sometimes ketchup.

If peas are raw I like to cook them with stock and then mix.

3. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I don't think they use flour or cornstarch to thicken. I think it's simply the beans themselves. Wouldn't surprise me if they're seasoned with some fatback or what around here is called "side-meat".

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

1 pound of dried black eyed peas
    4 ounces of salt pork
    2 quarts of water
    1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper

Soak the black eyed peas for at least 2 hours. While the peas are soaking, place the salt pork into the pot with water and let it come to a boil. reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Add the peas, onion, salt and crushed red pepper. Let it cook for 45 minutes, adding water if needed. Serves 6 to 8

5. noway

noway

{I don't think they use flour or cornstarch to thicken. I think it's simply the beans themselves. Wouldn't surprise me if they're seasoned with some fatback or what around here is called "side-meat".}

They told me it was thicken not like a typical soup or legume, but it was thicken per se. Very nice in whatever they did. I'm not afan of the blackeyes-peas ( group or veggie ;) ) but whatever they did to this pot of bean I killed them. I even ate the bowl clean before tackling the pork chop ;) Normally I always finish off the meats before any veggie but I can't lied these peas where grrrrrreat!

6. Rick C

Rick C affiant

Use the aforementioned recipes (all good).

Smash some (sorry don't have exact count) of the peas against the side of the pot with a spoon about 3/4 way through cooking time. This will add a much thicker consistency to the cooking liquid. I think this method is better that cornstarch or flour. This works for butter beans, too.
    I really like BE peas and rice (Hoppin John).

Rick ;c

7. major

major Rejected member

Sidemeat???? Now there's a real country boy for you. I haven't heard that term in a few years!