close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q:all around small game dog

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jan 3, 2003.

1. noway

noway

If you had to pick a single dog or two for hunting small game animals ( rabbits/hares, squirrel,coon,etc...) and maybe flushing quail/pheasant/doves what would you pick or look for in a dog?

I'm been thinking hard about the beagle. Smaller dog that's easy to care for 1 or 2 & one of the best noses in the business of tracking rabbits and squirrels.

2. pizzaaguy

pizzaaguy

OHHH;g
    I was thinking of the little silver terrier
    that came with the monopoly game!;f

3. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Boykin Spaniel

They are a great all around dog. Was bred to be a turkey dog but make great retrivers and flushers also. I have no doubt one would be easy to train for squirrel and cottontails. I used to have an English Springer Spaniel that could hunt cottontails, grouse and woodcock with no problem. The boykins are inbetween the size of a cocker spaniel and an English Springer Spaniel.

4. noway

noway

I thought about the Boykin but everybody I know that has one complains of their dog gets rash and is allergic to alot of things.I was also concern with the dog and heat do the more denser coat.

How does the Boykin Spaniel hold up in hotter climates?

5. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I'm not sure about the heat. Here's a link that has a ton of information for the bokins.

Pam's Boykin's Page

edited to put NOT in. oops

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Drahthaar. The complete German line version of the German Wired Hair Pointer. They aren't small but are just what you are looking for.

Used in Europe to do everything from ducks, pheasants, and track deer. In their field trials they must point as well as track. They track ducks over water, rabbits over field, and birds in the field. Depending on the training you want to put into them, they will hold point and retrieve to hand or will flush on command.

You can't go wrong with the Drahthaar. ;)