close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Q about international air travel (Philippines)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by malleable, Mar 14, 2012.

1. malleable

malleable

When you take a US domestic flight, i believe you are restricted to 4 oz liquid containers for carry on by the TSA. If I board a flight from the Philippines (Philippine Airlines) to the USA do they have any such rule or a set policy on this? When i call i get conflicting answers. I'm simply wondering if i can put duty free alcohol in my carry on.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. Ragnar

Ragnar

Its 3.4 ounces. And you can bring all the alcohol you want as long as you share. ;)

3. Jonesee

Jonesee

Yes, my experience is airlines that are flying directly back to the US, abide by the US TSA rules.

As far as duty free, you buy it after you have already gone through the screening process. The problem you will have is if you layover and change flights at an airport along the way and have to leave a terminal and enter another (like an international terminal) the duty free liquor is subject to the screening rules as you re-enter another terminal. If you only have to be screened once, you won't have an issue.

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Yeah, coming back from Israel they couldn't have cared less, but once we switched planes in NYC we had to go back through screening (and through customs)

5. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

2 litres/person. Sealed, marked.

6. treeline

treeline

The general rule is to buy duty free at the last airport before your destination and have the sales staff put it in a tamper-proof bag. That means you can buy it in the Philippines if it's a direct flight but should wait if you've got any stops along the way.

The tamper-proof bags are thin plastic that can be sealed. Nothing special and some places insist on using them for everything. I had a bottle of coke put in one and then borrowed a pen to help me open the bag so I could drink it. That was the same airport - Zurich - where I bought a swiss army knife in duty free and took it onto the plane.

7. malleable

malleable

The Flight is from Manila to Vancouver (45 min stop & no plane change) then on to CONUS

8. Jonesee

Jonesee

No issues then. The duty free shop will be after you are screened. Pick up your liquor and board your plane.

9. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Ah, Airbus A340. Nice ride.

10. failsafe

failsafe

The rule is, 1 liter per person of age.. When you return, you will go thru Customs and Immigration at your first stop in the US..You will then have to put your alcohol that you purchased at the duty free and carried on, in your checked luggage..If you have a direct flight, disregard..

11. malleable

malleable

So I can't bring back two 750 ml bottles?

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

...as long as the flight crew pays attention. HH

13. failsafe

failsafe

You can bring back as many as you want, but you may have to pay tax on anything over 1 liter..Check out the US Customs and Border Protection site..
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/kw/alcohol

I personally have brought back 3 bottles or so..I declared them on my customs forms a, as personal use...No taxes were assesed...But they always could have taxed them..

14. malleable

malleable

Thanks to all for the replies

15. malleable

malleable

One more question, can you purchase duty free on the day of your return flight to the states or does it have to be 24 hrs upon arrival in foreign country? Sorry, but conflicting info online (Manila airport)

16. Altaris

Altaris

I brought back a liter bottle of Sake from Japan on my last trip(April 2009). Duty free shop, and had it in my carry on bag. Direct flight home and was piece of cake. No one questioned anything.

17. Altaris

Altaris

I don't know about Manila, but in Japan I bought my bottle of Sake not even 30min before I got on the plane to fly home.

18. riddler

riddler

There should be no problem bringing alcohol after you bought it at NAIA. If you will have a layover in Vancouver, you will be ushered to a holding area while the plane is refueled and crew changed. You will not be screened when you board the flight for the US. Are you coming in at McCarran airport (LAS)?

19. malleable

malleable

Yes, McCarran is my final destination.