Q about Gen4 G17: plastic flash removal on frame due to recoil spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by raising_arizona, Feb 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

Note: the flash removal is not from the recoil spring. My bad! It works fine. :)

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a Gen4 G17. I can say without a doubt that without any additional backstrap it fits my hand like a glove. Win!

I pulled it apart for a first cleaning and noticed that some of the flashing is gone where the recoil spring contacts the frame (see pics). I've seen this on some HK P2000s and IIRC a USP Compact. I'm am correct in assuming that I shouldn't worry about it on this Glock?

Did I mention that it fits my hand like a glove? :cheers::banana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. Arkhog

Arkhog Slightly Bitter

I purchased a Gen4 17 about a month ago here in Arkansas. I didn't remove the slide in the store. At home, I discovered the same thing that you did. Chunks of plastic were missing. I took it back within the hour. Normally, this store doesn't give refunds. This time they did.

One week later, I looked at a different gun in a different store. They allowed me to remove the slide. This one was exactly the same as yours and the one that I had seen previously. I passed on it.

I bought a third generation 17. It has no frame problems. It does have the issue of the nickel plating chipping from the rails with the copper showing.

3. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER Guest

wow !! How did that happen ?

4. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

I have almost identical spots on mine as well. Just curious, what is the Alpha prefix on the serial #? Mine is PFF. I will definately keep an eye on it, but if it don't get worse I won't wory too much about it.

5. david8613

david8613

i wonder if this has been seen on the g22 4th gens? i just ordered one last weekend should have it soon. did it come like that new unfired or was it like that after firing it? has anyone seen this on the 3rd gens?

6. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

I think this area of the recoil spring is the culprit (see pic). It's a little rough to the touch, so I might just go over it just a tiny bit to remove the rough edges. I had a look at my G26, which has a similar spring setup, and the frame has some flashing removed too.

I'm hoping it doesn't get worse, so I'll just keep an eye on it.

[​IMG]

7. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

The 3rd gen G17s (and 19s) have a plastic recoil rod, so there's nothing to really scratch the polymer frame material off with. As I mentioned, my G26 has similar marks on the frame, and it uses the same type of recoil spring setup as the Gen4. FWIW, after the initial scratches on my G26, nothing has changed after 2500 rds.

BTW, it came like that in the box. I'm going to get it to the range tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  8. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

Mine is PFC.

9. GLOCK MONSTER

GLOCK MONSTER Guest

i would return that gun back to the store . I don`t think any frames of glock should be lookin like that .i just checked my glock 23 and i had bought it used and the inside of the frame looks like new . Just to be on the safeside i would return that gun to the dealer . Because that looks pretty chewed up for it being a brand new gun , specialy a gen 4 .

10. speicher

speicher

This is going to be common on all gen 4's. I spoke with Fred at tech services the other day and he was unaware of it. I sent pics and he wasn't sure what to make of it, so he addressed it with the engineers and was told...that due to the larger guide rod assembly that area of the frame needed more room. Instead of risking the loss of LE contracts by widening the outer dimensions and making all those officers have to get new holsters...they removed some polymer from that area of the frame internally. The guide rod is the element causing this to happen during field stripping, again Glock is claiming that this is strictly cosmetic and will not affect function.

Fred also stated that he pulled 30 units off the line before I had called back and 23 of the 30 had these same chips in the polymer in that same area. So, the combination of a larger guide rod and thinner material in that specific area, and this is the end result. I personally don't think that it will ever affect function.

11. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

speicher,
    Thanks for the info. It's interesting to see the statistics on the ones he pulled from the line. I'm going to just shoot it and monitor the area. As you mentioned, it should not really affect function.

12. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

This sort of thing happens when you mess with "perfection".

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Intersting,.......guess the Gen 4 was not "beta tested" as well as it should have been? :dunno:

Guess I'll be waiting a bit more for this one.

14. raising_arizona

raising_arizona

The Gen3 23s have the one-piece recoil spring, so there should be no problem with anything scratching the frame. It will probably get some scuff marks from the metal spring, but that's about it.

It's the middle part of the new spring that's doing it. My G26 got a little dinged up from a faulty recoil spring (which Glock replaced). The wear never got any worse.

15. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I saw this on my Gen4 G22 yesterday and it really worried me.

I immediately opened up my 5 Gen3 pistols, consisting of two G19's, G26, G30, G36.

One of the G19's did not show metal in this area. The rest did.. so i stopped worrying.

The G19 that DID show metal in this area was a Gen3 with the old style serial# plate.

The G19 that did NOT show metal in this area was a Gen3 with the flat serial# plate. It also has an extremely low round count and looks absolutely pristine inside.

All internal parts in my Gen3's have always been factory stock with the exception of the 3.5# connector.

16. Stuntman_Mike

Stuntman_Mike /̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

An engineering feat!

Does the 4th gen ship with a roll of duct tape and superglue?

17. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Gen3 G19:

[​IMG]

Gen3 G26:

[​IMG]

Gen3 G36:

[​IMG]

Gen3 G30:

[​IMG]

My Gen4 G22 looks exactly like the one in the original post, so no pics.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  18. whitey4311

whitey4311

With all the plastic vs metal guide rod theories I have been paranoid since I use a Wolf guide rod and Wolf springs so I checked my 21sf over real good. It has 2300 rounds on it and no marks like pictured above. There is a faint mark where the rod sits just on top of the slide lock spring but that is normal.

I wanted to buy a gen 4 21sf and keep one for USPSA and the other nice and clean for CCW but perhaps I should just get an identically set up gen 3 instead.

19. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

I'd be surprised if there's going to be any Gen4 SF models. I imagine the Gen4 G21 without any added backstrap would be the same though.

20. glockandme

glockandme

Buy an M&P and be done with it.