Python Update...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CajunBass, Feb 15, 2020.

1. CajunBass

CajunBass

Well, I took the Python (2020) back to the range this morning and ran 150 rounds of my reloads through it. Everything went fine until about 125 rounds or so, when I got a "misfire." Upon checking I found the cartridge had fired, but nothing had happened. A classic cylinder didn't advance situation. I tried a couple of dry fired and everything worked, so I figured I had done something goofy and went back to shooting. A couple of cylinders later...same thing.

This time I did some more investigating and found the two screws on the left side were loose. The one over the trigger was so loose the sideplate wasn't pulled down flush. I got out the screwdriver (always in my range bag) and tightened both both up and went back to shooting. No more issues for the remaining 25 rounds, and I don't know how many dry fires since. Total rounds to date, 500.

Purple locktite is on the shopping list.

We all like pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The screws in question are on the left side, just ahead of the trigger, and under the grip. Since the sideplate serves to hold all those little parts in the right place if they get loose all the internals can get all cattywampus and out of wack.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Tuscany, lazarus66, Bus007 and 14 others like this.
  2. powernoodle

powernoodle

If that was the problem, and it sounds like it was, then fixing it and moving on is no biggy. That is one sweet looking piece of gun.

n2g, spork, CajunBass and 1 other person like this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Great review and perhaps the best insight as to what may be the gremlin we've all (or at least I've) been worried about.

Nice looking revolver for sure.

B C and CajunBass like this.
  4. CajunBass

CajunBass

Now, please...understand this is nothing I claim to have discovered. Several of the fellows on the Colt forum have suggested keeping an eye on the screws for just this reason. I had found the one behind the grips loose once before (the same screw on my 2019 Cobra was found loose also) but this was the first time the other one was loose. I was shooting some pretty hard recoiling loads, so that probably contributed.

B C and FullClip like this.
  5. Bradley T

Bradley T

Looks nice. I 'spect those screws responsible for securing multiple internal moving parts, see quite a bit of back-and-forth action. Not surprising they back out some. Like a fresh engine, it's kind of a good idea to retorque the header fasteners and stuff like that after running it some.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  6. Terry G

Terry G

Nice heads up, pretty minor glitch.

CajunBass likes this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Except for the cheap plywood grips.

8. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Man that revolver is beautiful !

n2g and CajunBass like this.
  9. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks for the update, CB.

CajunBass likes this.
  10. 45caldan

45caldan

Ya I'm not wild about those grips either....

11. Capttjk

Capttjk

This might explain why I have had no problems. I have 1200+ rounds through my 2020 Python so far with no issues at all. I have used 5 different types of ammo and everything has worked perfectly since day one. But, I have fired almost exclusively.38 SPL through it. I shoot steel on my country acreage property and shooting quickly at longer distances I prefer light .38’s. My python has seen maybe 25 rounds of .357 Mags so far and they weren’t really that hot. My screws are tight and gun works perfectly.

n2g, CajunBass and FullClip like this.
  12. CajunBass

CajunBass

I wasn't crazy about the grips at first, but I'll be darned if they don't work really good for me, for shooting. The old Python grips flared out at the bottom and I never really cared for them (or Smith and Wesson targets) except for looks.

13. CajunBass

CajunBass

Yea, I was shooting some pretty warm boomers yesterday, which is odd for me. I guess I'm trying to see what it will take, but that BOOM and kick is starting to get old. I think in the future I'm going to stick to high end 38 loads in 357 brass. I'm getting too old for all that racket, and paper doesn't take a lot of killing.

Need4Speed, byf43, Terry G and 2 others like this.
  14. Capttjk

Capttjk

15. Capttjk

Capttjk

I put these Altamont grips on my 2020 Python. Nothing special, but I personally like a larger grip on my firearms. The stock grip was a little thin for my taste.

FullClip and CajunBass like this.
  16. 45caldan

45caldan

I got these from Altamont for my M19 and they are absolutely Gorgeous!
    S&w197.jpg

alwaysshootin, n2g, GlockyQ and 5 others like this.
  17. DrewBone

DrewBone

The year is 2020, not 1960.

Those "cheap plywood grips" on the new Pythons are stronger than solid wood, and will resist warping and withstand changes in temperature and humidity better than solid wood ever could.

I like the new style grips for all the reasons I mentioned above, plus the varying shades of color and the different wood grains offer nice depth to the grips that just isn't obtainable using solid wood, even if exotic woods were used.

Tuscany, Grabbrass, CajunBass and 2 others like this.
  18. Capttjk

Capttjk

I am glad the OP gave us this update. I was reading a recent article on the internet where a Colt rep stated they thought the problem might be loose frame screws causing the issues. This thread would indicate that actually might be the case and with it being that minor of an issue, the 2020 Python isn’t as big a POS as everyone on the internet is making it out to be. I hope this is the case. As I said earlier, mine has been flawless after 1200+ rounds. I will keep my eye on the frame screws and check them from time to time.

CajunBass and FullClip like this.
  19. 0311INF

0311INF

Gorgeous m19. I dont know a better looking and yet all around performer.

CajunBass, 45caldan and FullClip like this.
  20. bac1023

bac1023

Rubber would have been better than cheap laminate. At least rubber isn’t trying to look like something it isn’t.

Need4Speed, CajunBass and Terry G like this.