close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pushups

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by KeithernTN, Apr 6, 2006.

1. KeithernTN

KeithernTN RADWorker

Greetings GT'ers,

I work out with freeweights every other day. I am also a pushup fanatic, doing at least 60 to 120 pushups daily.

Knowing that it is beneficial to have a day of rest between workouts are my daily pushups helping or hurting my progress and gains?

My workouts consist of the following:

Benchpress
    Bicep Curls
    Bentover Rows
    One Arm Tricep Rows
    Deadlift
    Squats
    Lunges
    Overhead Press with a curlbar

I weigh 175lbs and am 6'1"

2. DBradD

DBradD

What is your goal?

DBD

3. KeithernTN

KeithernTN RADWorker

Goal being to look cut, of which I am on my way except for my abs, and also to build strength.

About 6 months ago I was 40lbs heavier and out of shape. To lose the weight I just altered my food intake and started lifting weights. I just quit eating so much.

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

It depends on a number of things: age, diet, sleep, genetics, volume, intensity and maybe more.

I would think, again depending on volume and intensity, that doing both DLs and squats every other day would be holding you back more than the pushups. If I squatted and pulled everyother day I'd be a wreck after two weeks.

Please do not take this as a mean spirited comment, it is not meant that way. You say you want to look "cut". To me that implies you want muscle definition. At 6'-1" and 175 lbs, do you actually have enough muscle to define? If you got really lean, instead of looking cut, you may just look skinny. I'm 6'-2" at 210, and I don't really feel I have enough muscle to define. Perhaps to look cut, you may need to add some mass.

One nonrelated question, why are you pressing with a curl bar?

Good luck,
    jack

5. KeithernTN

KeithernTN RADWorker

No offense taken California Jack, I've read many of yours and DBradD posts and hold you two guys in high regard in respect to your knowledge.

I guess when I say "cut" I'm not talking pro bodybuilder style, just well defined. Maybe toned is a better word.

I do have muscle and am lifting fairly heavy with low reps to add mass, I just hope the daily pushups aren't holding back any of my gains.

On the DL's and squats how should I space those out, focus on my legs and lower body on one day and do my upper on the other?

About the curl bar, I work out at home and do my overhead presses standing up, the curl bar is a little easier to handle for me than my Olympic benchpress bar.

6. DBradD

DBradD

Thank you so much for your compliment!

I think you would make upper body gains faster if you drop the pushups, but working out is also about enjoyment. It sounds like you really enjoy pushups, so I doubt that it's terrible if you continue with them. At this point, it sounds like you're so good at pushups that they might not be taking much out of you anyway. You might consider skipping them the day before and the day of bench press.

I share Jack's opinion with doing the same muscle groups every other day. I think most people do better with each muscle group worked once or twice per week. I've pretty much always worked everything once per week. I posted my idea of such a workout in the other thread in this forum called something like "post your workout."

There's also a thread here somewhere containing Jack's information on "anabolic burst," something that seems to apply to you. Changing things up is often a big help, so you could always try one of these other ideas and then go back. You could even alternate routines, switching every few months or whatever.

DBD

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Thanks for the compliment too.

DBD said:

That's not exactly what I said. I don't necessarily have a problem working the same parts every other day. In fact, that is what I do. I just don't think I could work such heavy movements as the squat and DL on the SAME day every other day. I myself do 3 full body workouts per week. I realize that that may not be for everyone, but that's what I enjoy. And I do agree with Brad, enjoyment of the program is important.

Keithern said:
    I think as far as your pushups go, if you want to do them every day, that may be OK as long as you don't approach failure. One thing I'd like to point out is that most people think medium rep, say 8 to 10, add mass. Although I heard some people claim the low reps work if you do lots of volume. I like low reps myself. I seldom go above 5 reps on compound movements. I am not doing any isolation stuff, but on those you may want to consider higher reps, you know, on the stuff like curls and "tricep rows".

As far as my training: I do 3 full body workouts weekly. I am able to accomplish this because I keep the volume low. I also follow a Heavy-Light-Medium System using 5 sets of 5 reps per workout doing only a squat, a push, and a pull exercise: An example might be:

Heavy--Squat, bench, rack pulls
    Light-- Overhead Squats, Overhead press, power snatch
    Medium -- Front squat, incline bench, power clean

My own variation of this is:
    Heavy-- DL(I count this as both the squat movement and pull movement), Behind the neck jerk

Light-- Front squat,overhead press, snatch

Medium-- squat, push press-- clean

Remember there are three variables, volume, frequency and intensity. You must find a balance of the three that work for you. If you want to work out daily(high frequency)for the same lift, you probably won't be able to maintain 10 sets (high volume)to failure(high intensity). You would have to cut down on the number of sets and load. On the other hand if you want to workout once weekly one set of 2 at 60% of your 1 RM probably won't do you much good either. You'll have to find what works for you. And remember, what works for some doesn't work for all. Of course, I've also read that everything works for a while.
    I like a workout suggested by a fellow GTer ateamer. If you want to split upper and lower body stuff, this is a workout I really like. In fact, if I ever do split my workouts, I'll do this one : Any how, it's in this thread. .

The "Anabolic Burst" link DBD recommended is HERE!

One more thing, standing presses are the way to go!

Good luck,
    Jack