"Push to start"="Load of feces"??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by filthy infidel, Oct 24, 2010.

1. filthy infidel

filthy infidel 100% Infidel

I used to work for Mercedes-Benz. I was paid to repair and tear down your $100K cars, daily. I loved the training. We always laughed at Lexus because MB invented, troubleshooted, and perfecte what we called 'keyless go'. You kept the card in your wallet. When you touched your car, the electrostatic discharge queried the ECM, which queried the card next to your asscheek. You gained access by pulling the door handle which was already unlocked for you.

So Lexus and others boast this button, but as a tech I always found this a task. With my key, I unlocked as I approached the car, stuffed my groceries in, and inserted then started the car, as I have done since I was sixteen years old.

Car ads push this stupid 'start' button hard, but to me, it's a change of habit and yet ANOTHER step in the process to drive.

You likey, or not?

2. samuse

samuse

I don't really even care if I have power windows and locks. I didn't have a/c in a truck until I was 21.

My next truck is going to have vinyl everything, manual everything. The only luxury I want next time is an automatic transmission. I'm sick of my six-speed in city traffic.

3. Mr. Gekko

Mr. Gekko

No likey. I prefer simple instead of "convenient." Just another thing to break in my eyes.

4. cwb

cwb

I don't care for them, but I may be a bit old fashioned.

5. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

I liked it when it was on some nice cars. The idea that is becoming available on everything makes it less likeable.

6. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

I was a tech for BMW for 12 years. Gizmos just leave more to break. I hate car gizmos other than power windows and locks.

7. Flatulence

Flatulence 5X EMU Champion

It WILL break, it WILL cost, and the dealer will make more money.

I am waiting for the other shoe to drop on BMWs electric shift automatic transmissions. Its a car, you dont have to overcomplicate the crap out of it for it to be nice.

8. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I have that feature on a couple of my cars to include a BMW 335i convertible. I like it.

9. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I like it because it keeps my manicure perfect.

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

I like it and all other conveniences. I don't worry about repair cost. With Infiniti, you get a 4 year/60,000 mile bumber to bumper, 6 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty and you can bump it up to an 8 year/120,000 bumper to bumper factory warranty at any time for about a grand.

I've never kept a car for 8 years in my life. Let it break.

11. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

I drive an ML430 POS..

Sure, I've got 230,000 miles on it.. but theose crazy Germans just can't stop tweaking everything.. They picked up a very bad habit from Chrysler: they want to produce as many Models as possible, full of gadgets, and they shoot for entry level buyers.. that's a bad combination.. it = POS.

The most stupid things keep breaking..

Rear Hatch door latch.. like mileage has anything to do with that?? I probably haven't opened it more than 150 times.. POS.

I've had half a dozen Engine Mounts installed.. and I ride on asphalt.. POS.

Heater Valve is located in the dash.. gotta remove the entire dash to replace a $5.00 plastic part.. POS.

Sunroof wind deflector.. fell out.. POS.

Door seals don't seal wind noise.. POS.

The SEALED transmission went out at 105,000 miles.. 100K warranty help? hell no.. POS.

In 1999, they made at least 3 different Mobile Phones. None were interchangable.. or upgradable.. POS.

So why do I still have the POS?? Because I refuse to buy a new one.. too many gadgets to break.. too much high tech..

Otherwise, I love it.. perfect size.. good power and handling..

If I could only get one stripped of the gadgetry..

:steamed:

12. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

Well it depends on the method. I was in a new BMW recently and spent several minutes trying to start it. I had to slide the key into a little hidden slot under the start button, and then push the button... just like they used to do 80 years ago! The proximity method is OK but still redundant, what difference does it make whether you put a key in and turn or push a button? I suppose it is a small convenience not to have to fish the keys out of a pocket or purse. To the OP, you must be a rich man... I have owned Mercedes Benz cars... they broke a lot. When the parts guy told me I was his best customer, I decided it was time for a change and sold both cars.

I do like the new cars that bump start though. Just turn the key to bump the starter and the starter stays engaged until the car starts leaving my hands free to buckle up.

13. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

I want keys that don't have a chip in them. I'm tired of hearing about having to buy spare keys from the dealership for even POS cars, especially when they don't actually make theft much harder. Just another item to increase cost to the buyer.

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Ditto on my 916

[​IMG]

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I don't like it. I worked at jiffy lube in high school, you see it all workin that job. The one I hated the most was a prius. This guy would religously bring in his prius for oil changes and other maintenance. I'd get in the car, turn the key in the ignition, wait for the beep, look at the screen on the dash, press I accept or some crap like that on the screen. Then you had to press the start button on the dash. Yezzzir, major pita!!

God forbid if you had to get the hell out of dodge, you'd be screwed!!

16. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I have that same "Ducati" smile! :wavey:

17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I like to choose when the doors are locked and unlocked. I do not want any lights to come on without me turning them on nor do I want any bing or bong noise.

I enjoy driving, the more the vehicle does, the less I get to do.

I think driving a manual transmission with a clutch pedal proficiently should be required to get a driver's license.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  18. sr975j

sr975j

its just another thing to break. if i want to get into a car or truck that i own, i just want to put the key in the door and open it. and for the "start" button, what if you are having trouble starting the engine, can you hold the button to keep it cranking until it starts? i dont think so, correct me if im wrong. im a simpleton, i dont need all that "luxury." i like power windows and locks, an ipod hookup, 4wd, and i am pretty happy.

Sam

19. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I feel ya brother!!

20. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

I've just bought a new Lexus. The push start is going to take some getting used to. I can't remember to push the button to stop it.