close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pursuit vid from the other night.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by SPDSNYPR, Mar 15, 2010.

1. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Not remarkable, but interesting nonetheless. Had to cut out all the before and after for time.

Video Link

Right after this is when I cut myself doing a window extraction. Yippee.

Enjoy.

2. Horror

Horror Polizei

3. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Well you were as cool as a cucumber.

4. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

The initiating unit did a good job of calling it out. The unit that called it at the end seemed a little amped up.

Looked good to me.

5. SAR

SAR CLM

I could see the other units taking the lead because they intercepted him coming out of that gas station or whatever, but why did that one unit pass you up on the highway?

6. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

Not to be negative, but don't you guys have Stop Sticks? We carry them in every unit. In the early stages of this pursuit a secondary unit standing by, as the ones in this video, should have been able to terminate the pursuit with a set of stop sticks, thereby limiting the publics exposure to this situation.

If this had ended with a public personnel injury, I can see a Personnel Injury Attorney wearing this one out for it going on so long without termination, especially with prior contact with other vehicles.

I'm all for a good ride and do enjoy a good one quite often, but public safety is my primary concern. I like my pursuits short and sweet, with methods of termination available to us, such as the stop sticks, I do believe we will be held by a jury to a much higher degree of responsibility if a long pursuit such as this had ended with injury an innocent victim.

Adrenalin dumps, the rabbit runs and I know it's so much fun, but until the Government puts VCPT buttons (Vehicle Computer Pursuit Termination) in our units or the Comm Center can satellite link to the vehicle like On Star is starting to do we need to end pursuits as quickly and safely as possible.

Maybe I'm jus' gettin' smarter than I used to be when the Cowboy in me would take over :dunno:

7. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

My GUESS (based on uniforms, car markigns, etc) is that they were a different agency. Sounded like there might have been radio traffic about letting county take the lead. I could be wrong, though.

8. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

Thanks for the video. Toggled it to full-screen, and began to feel my backside suck up the chair a time or two....lol. Always amazes me the stupid people that don't pull the hell over, increasing the possibility of accidents. I kept saying during the video, "get the hell outta the way"!!! I swear, it ought to be a rule, that if you run from the cops, you automatically get an azz whoopin' at the end, regardless. It should be your Constitutional right to receive that azz whoopin'. And a right's a right.

And by the way, you guys drive pretty good......for cops... :whistling:

9. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I was the initiating officer (25). I was almost to the next town when my backup caught up. The two white cars were a small town that we literally just clipped the corner of. They were a little amped up, and following way too close for my taste. We had 3 in direct pursuit by the time they joined in, and I let them and the county (black slick-top) take it since we were 12ish miles out of my city limit.

I backed way off when they started getting close enough to count the hairs on his head and started talking about TVI (PIT everywhere else I think) on that 2-lane highway. Didn't want to add my car the crash report. :whistling: Luckily, the guy didn't hit anyone else.

On the stop sticks, we have them but I have no idea if the other agencies did. We DO NOT pass a pursuit and try to deploy them, and we had one officer basically get his legs torn off doing this when we first got them. Bad deal, that. I have another vid from a few years ago where I stop-sticked a guy in a pursuit, but it's on a regular DVD, and I don't know how to download that. That was kinda cool too (carjacking suspect - we got him).

If OHP would release the vid to us, we had a recent superb stop-sticking of an armed robbery suspect who fired lots of shots and managed to not get shot herself. That was a miracle call, but it's recent and they don't seem to want to share that one with us. Greedy bastards.

10. Gos

Gos

Interesting.
    Talk about flat country. I swear there were times I could see the curvature of the Earth!
    Glad he never went head on with someone...

11. SAR

SAR CLM

You seemed to stay pretty cool. Gotta hand it to you. Yeah, I hate getting anywhere near a PIT when other agencies are involved. I have Youtube video of a pursuit I was in that an armored car PITTED the suspect vehicle and almost took out a camera crew. That was wild.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  12. badlands99

badlands99

I was wondering this, too.
    My guess, if it's not another department taking the lead, is that maybe there are some officers with different or special training who are instructed to take the lead in pursuits. Am I close?

By the way, as far as dash-cam footage goes, that's a really clean looking video. And there's no data overlaid, like what we usually see in such footage. Also, the framing is a little awkward. Nearly half the frame is taken up by dash and windshield wiper. Is this a personal camcorder, and not a department installed thing? Just curious (I'm a photographer).

13. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

It's a $70 canon digital camera set to video mode and stuck on the dash with velcro. With a 16gig card, it'll take 3 hours of vid, and it's SO easy to download to a cd or DVD and put into property (as opposed to our old, broken-*** dash-cams, which we tried to replace this year but lost the funds for).

14. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I waved him by. He wanted to get closer that I did, and I didn't want him so close to me. :whistling:

15. spears

spears

Can you save the .wav(?) file off the DVD, upload it to youtube, or even rapidshare for download? I'm not versed in this stuff either :rofl:

16. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I watched that whole video just to see the pain train, and you cut it out!!

17. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I've seen that one. The stringer that recorded that (Paul Anderegg) used to post on another forum that I used.

18. SAR

SAR CLM

They heard the pursuit coming their way so they pulled off to the side of the road. As we went through an intersection, an armored car clipped the suspect vehicle and it spun out and almost took out the camera crew before hitting a tree. I needed a copy fast so I filmed it with my digital camera off of the news vans monitor. Mine's a crappy copy but I haven't seen the actual copy up on Youtube or anywhere else.

19. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

Putting any use of force stuff on youtube at this point is a bad idea IMHO. Plus, to get to it the video would have been way too long. We tried to talk him out of the car for quite awhile.

20. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I've got it somewhere on my home computer in pretty decent quality. I'll see if I could put it online. In the video, the blue Crown Vic with the trunk open belongs to Paul (the stringer).