Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro Review

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by joepa150, Jan 29, 2010.

1. joepa150

joepa150

So I have officially used my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for 1 week now. So far I am loving it. Just to give a little background. I started CCW last year. I carried a Glock 19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. When I purchased that I just wanted a comfortable holster that will get the job done and wasn't too expensive. I liked the look and fell of an all leather holster but I didn't think a low end mass marketed holster would be worth getting and I wasn't sure that I would even continue to carry a firearm so I didn't want to spend the big bucks. After awhile I realized that I couldn't leave home without my firearm and I enjoyed carrying very much. While the Supertuck served its purpose wonderfully, I felt like I needed to satisfy my urge to get a quality all leather holster. So I started to research custom holsters. There were so many options that I was having a hard time. The other problem was that most of the high end holster makers had ridiculous turnaround times (5+ months). I then read numerous posts about how great Rocky's holsters are. To this day I haven't read anything less than stellar about his holsters. I emailed Rocky and he said his turnaround was about 4-8 weeks. After a few more days I decided to call Rocky and ask a few more questions. While talking to him he said that he already started a Glock 19 holster and I could have it withing 3-4 weeks! Thats all I need to hear. I placed the order immediately. I actually received the holster in less than 2 weeks!!! :wow: Ok sorry now down to the review.

Price: At first I thought it was a bit steep. I then realized that I am getting two excellent holsters in one so it is not that bad especially for the quality you get.
    Design: The design is probably the best part about this. You get a ton of IWB adjustability and also the option to wear it OWB. What more can you want. I have seen other holster makers with similar holsters but they are no where near the quality and versatility of the Black Ops Pro.
    Look:I think the holster looks awesome. Its got a nice sheen to it and is very detailed. Rocky has many colors to choose from and they all are very nice.
    Feel: I didn't know what to expect at first since this is my first all leather custom holster. When I first picked up the holster it felt very light and extremely sturdy. I don't know what Rocky does to the leather but it is very stiff. Unlike other holster makers, Rocky doesn't have to reinforce the mouth due to how stiff this holster is. You can tell just by holding this that it is high quality. At first the holster is really tight. I had a hard time getting my gun out. I had to use the bag trick for 4 hours. It is still a bit tight but has loosened up beautifully. It now fits like a glove.
    Fit/Finish: Flawless. The stitching is perfect. The leather is perfect. The hard molding/boning is unbelievably detailed. The Slots and loops fit my 1 1/2" belt perfectly also.
    Comfort: Since I am used to the comfort of the Supertuck, I was worried that this might not be too comfortable. For obvious reason OWB was very comfortable as expected. IWB was comfortable at first but not as comfortable as the Supertuck (probably since the Supertuck was already broken in). After wearing the Black Ops all week, it was now broken in a bit and is just as comfortable as the Supertuck.

While I only have had the holster for a week, I like it much better than my Supertuck (not taking anything away from that holster). My only complaint is that Rocky set the bar so high for me, I'm afraid that any other holster I buy in the future will be disappointing. I guess I will have to stick to Pure Kustom.

My suggestion is to buy a Pure Kustom holster ASAP. I have a feeling Rocky may become so busy in the near future that his turnaround times will not be as short as they are now.

Keep up the great work Rocky and thank you for making a top notch holster :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MarcusT

MarcusT

How much did it cost?

3. joepa150

joepa150

4. b walk

b walk

:wow: If you like it I love it! My most expensive holster is a crossbreed

5. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Is it tuckable? Looks like it might be. Very nice.

6. joepa150

joepa150

Yes. I believe the Black Ops Pro is tuckable and the regular black ops is not.

7. dakrat

dakrat

:wow::wow: thats more than the Milt Sparks :whistling: glad your happy with it

8. joepa150

joepa150

Yes it is. The Milt Sparks takes way too long to get unless you can find it at brownells or lightning arms.

While I never had a Milt Sparks and someday I will, the Pure Kustom is way more versatile. You get a 27 position IWB and a 1 position OWB. Milt Sparks would be over $200 if you bought an IWB and OWB holster plus a half a year wait.

Also since Pure Kustom holsters are relatively new, there isn't a lot of comparisons between Milt Sparks and Pure Kustom. I have read a few reviews saying that once the individual bought the Pure Kustom, they gave the Milt Sparks away to their father because the liked the PK better.

I think that once you get in the the top knotch holsters such as Milt Sparks, Pure Kustom, Nossar, Del Fatti, Brommeland, Alessi, etc, it all comes down to personal preference. All those holsters are incredible and you couldn't go wrong with any of those.

9. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

:agree:Glad to see you include Brommeland in your list as I am breaking in a new Max Con V for my G26. I will post a review of this soon. You tend to get what you pay for in the holster world. The guys who are real craftsmen don't give their work away cheap, nor should they.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  10. BK63

BK63

That is a nice holster, but way out of my price range as far as holsters go.

11. K9Glocker

K9Glocker Shootist

+1 for MaxCon V. If I didn't have the MaxCon, it would top my list.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010