Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

I am in the process of getting my CCW and have decided to go Glock...finally.

Here is my issue though. I have gotten mixed signals about which Glock is better. I like the size and power of the G19 but have been told that the G23 would be a better choice for me.

I will be carrying everyday either in a suit or jeans and a polo. For a suit I was thinking about either a paddle holster or a nice shoulder rig. For my jeans, I was thinking IWB in the small of my back. I am 6'0 tall roughly 234 lbs with an athletic build.

Any suggestions or guidance on sidearm choice and carry options for my first Glock?

Thanks! concernedcarrier

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have gotten mixed signals about which Glock is better. I like the size and power of the G19 but have been told that the G23 would be a better choice for me.
Who told you that, and why?

First of all, they are the exact same size. It just depends on which caliber you like. The .40 is a bit snappier than the 9mm, but with your size and build, that shouldn't be an issue. I'm small, with small hands, and I usually carry the G23 daily. However, right now I am wearing my G19. I would shoot them both...at least a hundred rounds each, and then decide.

Some think the .40 has better stopping power than the 9mm. If so, it's only slightly more with today's good ammo, and accurate shot placement is better with the 9mm for most people. Also, 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40.

I like your choices of holsters. Check out the Desantis "Top Cop" paddle. I have 5 of them. See them at

http://www.desantisholster.com/037.html

Good luck and welcome to the 'Dark Side'...:wavey:

·
ERAU Alumni '05
1,404 Posts
Well you already know you're going with the compact. I started with the G23 right off the bat. My question to you is, do you like the "snapiness" of the .40? I love mine. I would suggest renting both and going with the one you feel comfortable shooting. I'm looking to add a G19 to my collection.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
I prefer 9mm but either will work for you. The G19 will give you 2 more rounds than the G23... and you can use the 17 round G17 magazine and the 33 round G18 mag.

Cheaper ammo means more practice. Less recoil means faster followup shots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of a 9mm due to ammo prices and increased practice budget. However, the .40 also has its advantages. Thanks for the holster recommendations.

I guess another question I have is when it comes down to concealed carry (since I am a probie at this) do the paddle holsters pay for themselves or would I be better off with a belt holster with the tip of the barrel exposed, I am sorry, I don't know the name of this particular style. Also, with IWB holster in the small of my back, is that a good idea or should i just ankle strap my snub nose? Not a big fan of carrying both...just one or the other.

Thanks again.

concernedcarrier
--------------------
"Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duck tape."
"What the hell? Are you even in the Marines?"

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
an ankle holster is 'ok' for a back-up gun. just keep in mind, in order to draw the gun, you will be in a prone position, and not moving...

one very inexpensive option to consider is a smartcarry (thunderwear). it requires no gun belt, and it is totally secure, with room for an extra magazine or a speed strip for a revolver. it's perfect for wearing jeans, or shorts and t-shirt. the medium size fits anything from a snub nose revolver to a glock 19

it's the best money i've ever spent on a holster

·
ERAU Alumni '05
1,404 Posts
I think belt holsters hold your gun closer to your body rather than the paddle. If you're skinny like me (135 lbs) an IWB holster makes it easier to conceal. I started carrying IWB at the 4 o'clock position but have switched to carrying at 3 o'clock lately since I practice like that. I've heard arguments about not carrying on the small of your back because if you fall on your back, you will end up hurting yourself. As for ankle carry, it's really hard to draw from that position quickly (it can be done though). Start out however you feel comfortable and then you'll see if you like it or if you need to switch holsters or placement of your gun. I have a K&D Dakota Defender (IWB), High Noon Bare Asset & Split Decision (IWB) and a G&G B802 belt holster for mine.

·
Florida Cracker
1,948 Posts
Either gun would serve you well. I've been carrying a 9, but just got my first .40...it was a change for me as I've never owned anything in .40S&W before, but I really like both of the guns I got (S&W SW99c and a Beretta 96G). The Beretta is awesome, but it's big and heavy. The little S&W is a handful in .40, but not uncontrollable. I'd definitely suggest trying both of them if you can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 19 is a popular gun... I have had one before and currenly looking for another. The 23 is nice if you can handle it? but based on your size, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you are going to CCW you have pick the best gun there is, I personally carry a 27, because I don't want to change my clothing habits. Jeans and a tee shirt.

Good luck, and what ever you pick, I hope you never need it....:supergrin:

·
PROUD AMERICAN!
703 Posts
crazypilot said the same thing Iwas going to say!!! Love my 23 and I want the 19. If you can afford both, get them. You`ll be glad you did!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
you may want to look at the g36 also. it is nearly the same size as the 19/23 in the .45ACP caliber. you get the best of both worlds. some people complain about the limited round capacity with the single stack, but as far as i am concerned, if you cant resolve your issue with 6 rounds, you have bigger problems on your hands than any gun is going to solve.

·
Atomic Dawg
1,027 Posts
The 19 is the same size gun and it's cheaper to shoot. Being it's your first gun, practice is paramount, so being able to do so on a regular basis would definitely factor into my purchase decision. But I would shoot both if I were you and make your decision based on what you like.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
An excellent holster for the G19 is the Safariland 6377 ALS. It has an ejection port lock that is disconnected with a thumb release. This is a "concealed carry" holster and it's about as good as I've seen for a holster that is not IWB.

At $34.69 and free shipping, this is a good deal.

http://www.copquest.com/23-0810.htm

·
Registered
793 Posts
another thought to throw into the ring is that you can get the 23 and put a 9mm barrel in it and have both calibers to pick from. it works to go from 40 to 9mm but not the other way around. so for about a hundreed bucks plus a few 9mm magazines you could have both.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
another thought to throw into the ring is that you can get the 23 and put a 9mm conversion barrel in it and have both calibers to pick from. it works to go from 40 to 9mm but not the other way around. so for about a hundreed bucks plus a few 9mm magazines you could have both.
fixed it for ya!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help! I have made the decision to get the G19 and will keep my USP .40 as my "bedside" firearm. Thanks again! I will back to clearify holster options.

·
Banned
18,888 Posts
Hello everyone...

I am in the process of getting my CCW and have decided to go Glock...finally.

Here is my issue though. I have gotten mixed signals about which Glock is better. I like the size and power of the G19 but have been told that the G23 would be a better choice for me.

I will be carrying everyday either in a suit or jeans and a polo. For a suit I was thinking about either a paddle holster or a nice shoulder rig. For my jeans, I was thinking IWB in the small of my back. I am 6'0 tall roughly 234 lbs with an athletic build.

Any suggestions or guidance on sidearm choice and carry options for my first Glock?

Thanks! concernedcarrier
Depends on your preference between 9mm and .40. I'm a .40 guy myself, but I love my G19 and it's turning into one of my favorites. Either will be a great choice.

·
Registered
88 Posts
another thought to throw into the ring is that you can get the 23 and put a 9mm barrel in it and have both calibers to pick from. it works to go from 40 to 9mm but not the other way around. so for about a hundreed bucks plus a few 9mm magazines you could have both.
Why new mags? My 19 takes the 23's and 22's never a jam, or FTF....and holds with the 22 mag 19 with one in the pipe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts