Purchasing a used (rental) 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Staffordshire, May 17, 2018.

1. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

LGS is having an auction of their rental guns in a few weeks. I kind of looked to see if anything was interesting and saw two 1911's, A1 Operator and SR1911, both in .45 ACP. Both have an unknown number of rounds, but probably a lot.

I'll get to inspect beforehand, but assuming they look ok, what would be a max bid for either?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. NoStress

NoStress

I would steer clear of a rental gun. I would rather pick up a good used one from another source even if it cost more.

Staffordshire likes this.

3. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

They have a few polymer 9mm pistols that I've rented that shot without issue, and if one of them goes really cheap, then I'll bid. But, I'm not sure about the 1911's.

4. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

Depending on how well it was maintained, you could get a really good deal or not. Every firearms auction that I have ever been to has ended up with people bidding competitively instead of backing out when the price went over what would be a good deal. As for a max bid, that should be something you come up with after you inspect the weapon. I found a SR-1911 on Armslist for $525 and bought it without hesitation.

5. TX.G30

TX.G30

M45A1 I bought used was a rental. Documented 3500 rounds of fmj. Ends up being the best shooting 1911 I own. The outside is beat up, probably rivals the looks of the cerakote Marine M45's that were returned and sold on gun broker. But the internals were spotless and the barrel looks as good as new.

6. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Being conservative, I'd avoid buying a rental car, pistol, .... :eyebrow: woman.
    The car has an odometer, at least you know the miles.
    Pistol, no way of knowing how many rounds its fired, like you said probably a lot.
    Woman... no odometer, no way of knowing how many... :clown: :ack::faint:

7. Glockman4

Glockman4

One of the best purchases I ever made was a USP compact 9mm that was a range rental, for 400 bucks. I could tell that it didn’t see a lot of use.

The New Yorkers and New Jerseyites that frequent the range I bought it from don’t come in asking to shoot a H&K compact, they wanna “blast a Glock fotay” or a desert eagle .50.

So if you know what you’re looking at they can be excellent deals.

Glockdude1 likes this.
  8. scattershot

scattershot

The reason they have auctions in the first place is because folks get caught up in the bidding frenzy. If it’s a rental gun, my expectation would be that it was “rode hard and put away wet.” Lots of shooting, minimal cleaning, and not much care overall. You can buy a new Ruger for just north of six bills, but I’ll bet the rental will go close to that.

9. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

Also noted a Mil-Spec .45 added to the list. Noticed today that they're advertising the auction. Probably going to be a crowd. I'll probably still go, but I don't have any expectation of getting a deal.

Maybe the polymer .40's will go cheap, but I'm not really in the market for any of those.

10. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

If I bought a rental, it would have to be dirt cheap and cheap enough to gamble. Plus, they'd have to allow me to at least field strip it for inspection.

11. Staffordshire

Staffordshire

They will have an inspection period prior to the auction. They would probably allow a field strip, or either they would have someone do it and allow you to inspect. I've actually shot a few of the pistols they have available and might put in a bid if they go cheap: G43, LC9S, M&P 9 2.0,
    P320C FDE, G19.5, probably a few others. I've put 50 rounds through all of these models without any failures and all were in the last 4 months. I haven't rented anything in over a month. However, from what I've seen at the counter, most people rent Glock 19's and AR style rifles. And my guess is that those will be the hot items.

But, I've got a couple of 9mm's and a .40. I don't have a 1911 or anything in .45 so that is what interests me the most.

GlockFan7 likes this.