close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

purchasing a ccw TODAY need suggestions

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jkalantzis, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jkalantzis

jkalantzis

I'm leaning heavily on a G26 but I just thought I'd through it out there. Any suggestions other than a G26 that you feel strongly about? Maybe a Kahr pm9, Walther pps, Kel tec pf9. I live in Florida and mostly wear shorts and a Tshirt. Please offer some ideas.. Thank you GT users.

2. 4GLOCKER

4GLOCKER

A G26 would do just fine. You might consider an IWB holster. Also consider a thin G36 single stack .45 with 6 + 1.

3. AcenJay

AcenJay

Choosing for primary carry? First handgun? Can't really go wrong with the G26, I'd choose it over the other choices you named. You should strongly consider the G19 too.

4. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Walther PPS, the ultimate in concealed carry comfort.

5. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

It's hot where I am most of the time, and I find pocket carry to be the way to go.

I'm ever so impressed with my Sig Sauer P238 in .380. It's dependable, accurate, light, easy to conceal, and has plenty enough fire power to get me out of any situation I would be likely to find myself in.

Just my fiftieth-part-of-a-dollar. Your mileage may vary.

6. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I have a G26, Kahr TP9, and a Kel Tec PF9. The Kel Tec goes with me when I pocket carry, and the Kahr carries well in a holster. My G26 is a little large for most of my shorts and t shirts, Im in Florida, too and its pretty hot most of the year.

Of the 3, I shoot the G26 best. It also needed no break in to speak of, was 100% reliable right out of the box. The Kel Tec is a handful. Not fun to shoot at all. The Kahr was my best choice for concealed carry, but was glitchy until I put several hundred rounds through it.

So, depending on your build, and what holster you'll be using, I'd recommend the G26 overall. But you need to try a few holsters to see what works for you.

On a side note, the little G26 one of the most accurate and easy to shoot pistols I own. Its actually fun to shoot.

7. Shortimer

Shortimer

If you want a single stack check out the Walther PPS. If you want a double stack go with a G19. There are other options out there but these are your best CCW in my opinion. Others have their favorites so its subjective. Both of these are popular so rent one or find a friend who owns one & check for yourself. After the smoke clears you are the one who has to carry it. I own both and either is very reliable. The PPS gets the nod for beings able to conceal. Crossbreed IWH & it is comfortable & very stealth. Good luck

8. KillStick

KillStick

For get the small puny 9 and go with a Desert Eagle .50, no in all seriousness I have a walther and had a g26 they both are great and you can't go wrong with either.

9. Minnow

Minnow

g26 or g19 if you can swing it.
    in an auto I'd pick 9mm or bigger and stay with a dependable platform with a proven track record. It'd be even better if you could actually shoot some of the models your interested in before you pick one out.

10. craig_o

craig_o CLM

I'm a fan of the XD line, and conceal an XD subcompact easily in the summertime here in Texas. I'd recommend it.

11. Gombu

Gombu

Kahr P9 or PM9.

I personally prefer the P9

12. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

If this is your only handgun, get the G26, because its the best all around gun.

If you already have a HD pistol, the PM9 or if your on a budget the PF9 will be much easier to carry then the G26.

I know there are some Walther PPS fans here but I don't see a real big advantage in getting a PPS over a G26 or a PM9. The PPS is almost the same exact length, height, and weight as the G26, but you get an almost .2" slimmer profile in exchange for 3 less rounds. If Walther could have cut down the barrel length and shaved few more ounces, the PPS would have been the perfect pocket pistol.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

for shorts & t-shirt wear, I'd buy a J-frame or LCR (I own both as well as a 26)

14. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

any of the Kahr models

15. legends13

legends13

I currently have a G19, but I am seriously considering the Walther PPS. problem is no one has any in stock. The PPS is very similar in size to a G26, but much thinner, and much easier to carry IWB, as I do. Yeah, you lose a couple rounds, but you can always throw an extra mag in your pocket if you so desire.

16. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

I personally like the extra barrel length(more velocity and sight radius) and the wieght being the same same a baby glock(fast follow up shot)

To the OP, I also live in the hot south and tend to wear tshirt and shorts. I'll say if its going to pull duty as a HD gun as well you may want to get the g19 or g26. If its just CCW I'd recommend the PPS and the g26. I love my glocks but the PPS is amazing for concealment. I know on paper the difference in thinness seem small but try it on with a properly fitted/molded kydex holster and you will be converted. In the end, I personally like all the chioces you listed except the kel-tec. I think you'll be happy with whatever you get.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

My very first handgun was a G26. I carry one in my pocket everyday.

That being said, the G19 is FAR more versatile IMO!

It holds 5 extra rounds, has a larger grip, longer sight radius, and rails for a light/laser. For me, it allows for slightly faster follow-up shots due to the better grip.

Now without knowing your experience with guns/shooting, if you need a handgun TODAY...I'd say go with a Glock (any 9mm or .40S&W model will do) or get a revolver (most likely a snubbie .38spl)....both are idiot proof and will serve you well.

If on a budget, get a S&W Sigma in 9mm or .40S&W. www.budsgunshop.com has them for $299 and S&W is giving $50 rebates (or 2 free mags). I have a few of them.

For holsters, if in a pinch, drop by any gun shop and pick up either a Serpa paddle or any good name brand paddle holster. If you want to spend some time researching and you want something a little more concealable, do some homework on IWB holsters. I wear a Sidearmor IWB rig with my G19 and have for about 5 years now. Love it!! But their belt loops do break every few months. I swapped them out for a set of Comp-Tac leather loops and haven't had a problem since.

I know you didn't ask for it but if you have a true NEED for a gun TODAY I have to imagine there's a credible threat for you right now. If that's true, drop by Wal-Mart and pick up a Mossberg 88-Maverick for $177. Every wal-mart that sells guns has them in stock, or should. It'll hold 5+1 rounds of 12ga. and makes a terrific HD shotgun if on a budget!

I have a bunch of them!

Good luck and stay safe!

-Emt1581

18. bithabus

bithabus

I go with pocket carry 75% of the time. It's more comfortable and much easier to conceal. I will not wear baggy clothing. Kahr or Kel Tec in the pocket or Glock 26 OWB if it's cold.

19. Jdog

Jdog

if you wanna go super comfy all day long... then the kahr pm9 is it with an inside-waist band holster (a new pm9... not a used one w/somebodys old problem). If you have a little extra cash to blow then get it w/the xs big dot site factory installed (dont do it yourself)
    If you go w/the bulkier glock then I'd go for the G27. It's the same exact size as the 26 only it has more power.

20. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Buds has them, .40. 9mm and a used 9mm.