Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure many of you have already seen these, but I'd never heard of them until today. I recently ordered one of the police trade in Gen 3 G17's from aim surplus. Must have been their last one because they are sold out now.

Anyways, went to pick it up, first think I noticed was it has one of the gen 2 style flat extractors. I assumed it was still a gen 3 though. Then I noticed it was only a 2-pin, very odd. So its a gen 2? But it has finger grooves and a light mount! My buddy at the gun shop did some googling and said he thought it was a gen 2.5. I guess that was wrong too, because after some research of my own, I guess it's an early gen 3? I guess these are pretty rare? And yes, I added the trigger and light.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Crusty Member
11,189 Posts
Im sure many of you have already seen these, but I'd never heard of them until today. I recently ordered one of the police trade in Gen 3 G17's from aim surplus. Must have been their last one because they are sold out now.

Anyways, went to pick it up, first think I noticed was it has one of the gen 2 style flat extractors. I assumed it was still a gen 3 though. Then I noticed it was only a 2-pin, very odd. So its a gen 2? But it has finger grooves and a light mount! My buddy at the gun shop did some googling and said he thought it was a gen 2.5. I guess that was wrong too, because after some research of my own, I guess it's an early gen 3? I guess these are pretty rare? And yes, I added the trigger and light.

View attachment 1082225
It's just an early Gen3. I forget how many, but the first several years of Gen3 compact and full size 9mm Glocks were 2-pin frames. i.e. My Gen3 34 and GSSF special edition 17 (from the first 500) are both Gen3 2-pin frames. The second 500 GSSF special edition 17s were made as 3-pin frames.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its just a very early gen 3, what are the letters of the serial numbers? The first 3 letters?
First three letters are DYR. Cool to hear more info on it from everybody. I thought it was interesting since Ive never seen one before. Im actually relieved its not some collectable or something special because I was planning on modifying it a bit. Either way, Im super happy with it. I was hoping for an older gen 3 with the tennifer finish and polygonal barrel. Guess I got my wish.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Joebud 07 is right from imfo ive got. Its around 2000 production. The 2nd best finish in my opion. But still the killer tenifer underneath. Only the later bomb proof 2004 ish to 2009 famous Frying Pan Finish trumps it. But the finish you have got is actually better for a carry gun due to the fact the FPF is slippery with liquids on your hands. You scored. They made lots of them. But resist the temptation to hack on it. Leave it stock except for sights. Its one of the most durable guns ever made! You can find current production gen 3 17, and 19 models with the chalkboard finish for 400.00 if you look around. Modify till your hearts content on one of those. The one you just bought will shoot 300,000 rounds. Change out springs "if needed" and enjoy the beauty of "Glock Perfection", cause thats what you just got! For cheap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts