Purchase Cert: Get a G35 (and wait) vs G34 (in-stock)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BuffaloXJ, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I've been wanting to pick up a G35 from my local Glock LEO dealer using my GSSF Purchase Certificate. As there are more people complaining about the program and change over of the certs, I want to use mine as soon as possible before the program is canceled (which I could see happening).

Since I was thinking about heading over there tomorrow, I decided to call the only Colorado shop that accepts the GSSF certs, only to find out they don't have any G35's in stock. But, he does have a single G34 in stock. The reason I'm wanting to get the G35 is so I can grab a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel and have essentially two guns in one. But with the G34 I couldn't be able to do that.

Also, I don't want to order through Ed's Public Safety or OMB Guns as I don't want to deal with the hassle of paying shipping or for an FFL transfer.

SO, this begs the question. Do I wait on picking up the G35 from my local shop (who has them on order and just waiting for them to arrive), OR do I head over in the morning and pick up the G34.

I do not reload, so the G35 would be more expensive in the long run ammo wise, AND I'd also be picking up the 40-9 barrel down the road which adds another $125 to the pricetag.

Thoughts? Opinions? I had my heart set on the G35, but assumed I could stroll down one day and bring it home. Since I can't do that, I face this Earth-shattering, life-altering, decision! :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  2. Jon_R

Jon_R

Do you plan to compete with the pistol?

If you plan to do IDPA or USPSA Production you can't use a conversion barrel. Just something to add to the decision. I have a G35 (USPSA Limited 10) and other Glocks. A G34 is on my list anyways. I really only want 9/40 Glocks and don't care for the 26/27 so a 34 and 22 is all I am missing.

3. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

I'd ask to see how long it will take to get the G35. If too long, I'd get it elsewhere. No sense of buying something you don't want.

4. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I think it'd be fun to compete, but it would be down the line later this year or next, so I'm not buying solely for competition.

I asked when they'd get them in, he said they just have to wait for Glock to make them and ship them. I asked to clarify, he said he had no idea how long til they'd be in. And I never said I didn't want a G34, I just have lots of .40 lying around and thought it'd be better to get another pistol in that caliber so I don't have to keep track of several types of ammo until I got the 40-9 barrel.

And the only way to get it elsewhere is order through a company such as OMB Guns or Ed's Public Safety that accept the certs and will ship them with the program. I really don't want to have to do that as it adds to the cost, which only makes me lean more towards the G34.

I also don't own a 9mm, so that could expand my collection, but currently don't have any 9mm ammo. I have tons of .40s&w though.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

The cost difference may not be as much as you think since you wouldn't pay sales tax. Just a thought.

FL it is 6% so $500 pistol sales tax is $30. If shipping is $20 and FFL is $30 you are only loosing $20.

6. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I actually didn't think about that, thanks for the input. I may just price it out afterall and see.

I may even end up waiting until next week to pick up the G34, which would be a little extra time for the G35's to come in. Granted, it also allows other customers to snag that G34 from me.

7. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

Well, I have a big interview down in Colorado Springs on Monday, so I think I'll swing back by the shop on my way through Denver and look at the G34. That'll at least give it a few more days until the G35's arrive, and I can also find out when they submitted the order for the 35's (as I have a pretty good time range of how long they should get them in based on members on here and how long they were waiting for G35s), or if they are just waiting for some to arrive with a regular shipment.

In the meantime, I think I'll hit up Wallyworld a few more times to see if I get lucky enough to score either 9mm or .40.

8. mteagle1

mteagle1

If the 35 is really really what you want I would probably wait until mid March to see if they get one in. As far as has been written the program is not going away just $25 more expensive.

9. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I understand the program isn't going away, I said I could see it going away with as much griping there has been when the new program details were announced by DannyR. I appreciate him for helping get the word out about the program and definitely appreciate everything that GSSF does for us.

I've seen lesser benefits taken away with less griping. As this is a relatively new program (as of 2008 is my understand if I recall correctly), Glock doesn't have to keep it going.

Anywho, I've decided to wait a week and then give them a call again. Considering my current lack of a job, though one is imminent I can feel it, and thinking it'd be fun to get into the shooting sport side of it, the G34 does make a little more sense. As ammo would be cheaper and I wouldn't have to order the extra barrel for practice. And since I don't reload, I'd be shooting full strength .40s&w in the matches, which going up against those that reload .40 to weaker than 9mm it'd be a bit of a disadvantage. Besides, I can always pick up a 22 or 23 later if I have a desire for another .40s&w.