Puppy food

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JGguns, Mar 13, 2010.

1. JGguns

JGguns

I have a ****zu and chihuahua mix puppy. For his dog food I got him the eukanuba puppy mix. He will eat it but it takes him awhile and I dont think he likes it to much. When he is at my gf's house he eats the cats food lol.

Besides canned food anyone have some good suggestions? I sure every dog is different but I just want to know a good place to start. Thanks alot!

2. writwing

writwing

Your dog wont eat it because it is not good for her. The best food to feed them is raw, you can prepare your own or buy it prepackaged. Orijens makes a good dry food.

Do a Google search.

3. finz50

finz50

Buy the canned food at first, then start mixing it with the regular (and less expensive) food and the dog will figure it out in a few weeks.

4. Zonny

Zonny

:rofl: If you spell it correctly (Shih Tzu) you wont got the ****.

It might be that because it's a small breed, the kibble it too big or hard for his little teeth.

Soften it with a small amount of water before you feed him.

Good luck with the new family member :wavey:

5. JGguns

JGguns

I do soften it up. Dont get me wrong he eats it, he has went through a bag of it already, but he will kill the cats food and he just takes his time with his. So I figure maybe something with alittle more taste for the little guy...

Lol thanks zonny

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  6. rahrah12

rahrah12

I feed Canidae to my dogs one of m dogs has a sensitve stomach and after going through a ton of different foods this is the one that he has done well on...I know some have had problems with it but my dog has done great on it.

I have also started doing raw food.

If your dog is not really eating it you can always get some no fat plain yogurt and add a spoonful to the dogs food

7. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

8. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Eukkanuba is not a good food for one. But I understand some people do not want to spend as much as I do on my dogs food. Cat food is like ice cream to dogs, it's much higher in fat and that's why he likes it more.

Raw meat is the best food for a dog, a little messy and expensive though. Next on the list is a food that is mostly meat. A few of the good ones out now are Innova Evo, Taste of the Wild, Orijen, etc. They have over 70% meat with no grains.

Do some searches online and you'll see that grains (such as corn) are not good for dogs. I can't blame anyone for wanting to feed those foods high in grains because they are cheap but if you want the best, you need to avoid stores like Petsmart because they do not carry the good foods. Look for a mom and pop type place and check the manufacturer's website to find a store that sells the good foods

My two dogs were on Science Diet until I found out it is mostly corn. We went to Innova evo for awhile but it must be too rich as they had the runs all the time. Now we're feeding Taste of the Wild and they seem to be doing well on it.

Good luck!

Please excuse any typos. I posted this from my phone.

9. JGguns

JGguns

Hockeyrcks I had no clue. I got eukanuba cause I was told ikt is really high quality food. But I found a local place with orijen so I will be picking some uo today for the little guy. Thanks for the help!

10. JMS

JMS 02

We buy Science Diet small bites for dry and Caesar for wet.

11. rahrah12

rahrah12

Make sure that you switch his food properly...don't do it all at once

12. JGguns

JGguns

So do I need to do alike half znd half mix or 3/4 old 1/4 new?

13. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Hope the mutt likes it, Dieter eats it up. It is a well balanced diet for dogs.

Switching foods, start out 75% old stuff, 25% new stuff, and gradually change the mix.

14. rahrah12

rahrah12

some others might know better than me, and one of my dogs has a sensitive stomach...

I start with 3/4 old mix with 1/4 new for @ 5 days
    then half and half for @ the same
    then 3/4 new with 1/4 old - process takes about 2 weeks

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Kitten/Cat food is to rich for dogs... really need to figure out a way to separate the two. Our GSD has a pretty serious skin condition, and was constantly getting in cat food, and the vet said that was an absolute no-no and was making the problem worse.

What we did... We took the kittens food, put it in a closet. When the kitten is hungry, he'll go to the door and whine. We let him in, and shut the door. When he wants out, he'll whine, and we let him out and shut the door.

16. 2bgop

2bgop

yes I would do 3/4 old to 1/4 new, then half and half, and so on from there. But you can do all this in a couple weeks.

17. JGguns

JGguns

Thanks IGF, I will get that problem taken care of right away. Thanks for all the advice guys!

18. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Like I said. Most people don't know. I didn't even know how awful commercial foods were until recently. I also wouldn't blame you for sticking to the cheaper stuff because the better foods are very expensive.