Punks got lucky

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DrSticky, Feb 13, 2010.

1. DrSticky

DrSticky

A friend of mine from high school recently posted on her facebook page this story. (Summarized)
    <story>
    She was driving down the road and came to a stop light. She had her sons and her niece in the car with her when a carload of teens pulls alongside. She looks over and they point a pistol at her. They laugh and then drive off when the light changes.

She panics and drives home to notify her husband. He chases them down and calls the police. The cops find an AirSoft type pistol in the car, and the cop even said himself that he thought it was real when he found it(at first), because they had covered the orange part with something. She didn't want to press charges because they saw her drive into her neighborhood, but the cop was going to anyway.

She told her kids it was a fake gun before she knew it was a fake gun in order to make them feel better, but she is now in fear that they will come back for her.
    </story>

I am afraid I would have shot them, turned my car into theirs or floored it or done something a lot more violent instead of just driving home.

2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

What a bunch of idiots! I wonder what kind of charges they'll endure?

3. JoshK

JoshK

i think that since they altered the gun by covering the orange tip that they should be charged just as if it were a real gun.... stupid kids!

4. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

wow. Yeah, I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. Probably wouldn't have been good.

Her worries are understandable, hopefully she has the means to defend herself. Maybe with charges against them, they will realize the severity of what they did. I have my doubts though.

5. Shalashaska

Shalashaska

I would expect that the business end of a pistol is a green light for a CHP holder.

6. kensteele

kensteele

I would have spent the vast majority of my time trying to get out from in front of the barrel of that gun and spending my time trying to put as much distance between their car and mine. Shooting back at a moving car while you are driving is not really the best move IMO.

7. Shalashaska

Shalashaska

Not to mention, you can always hit the gas and avoid it altogether. Going through a red light could be more dangerous, though.

8. Monotonous ONE

Monotonous ONE

WOW

STUPID kids

They are probably VERY lucky they didnt try it on someone who carries concealed.

9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

...or carries period

10. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

In a lot of states if you truly believe your life was in danger or serious physical injury was imminent deadly force is justified and allowed. In the KY CCDW class I took a very similar situation was specifically addressed. If you use deadly force against a person who threatens you with what you believe is a real firearm but it turns out you''re wrong, you're not guilty of a crime. However, if you use deadly force in the same scenario with the exception that the threat is not against you but against someone else, you'd better be sure it's a real gun and there's a legitimate threat, or you're in big trouble. I'd say she would've been ok legally if she had defended herself and kids against the very real looking threat. Mentally things might've been very difficult though in the aftermath of finding out it was a fake gun.

11. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

+1

At that moment, my first concern would be to get my kids out of harms way. If I saw that they were following me, then I would deal with that while on the phone with the police. If they had a real gun, I wouldn't want to start a firefight between cars with them firing at my kids. ONLY IF I couldn't get away from them would I shoot, and that would be after I hit the brakes and got them towards the front of my vehicle, so as to put as much metal between them and my kids as possible.

12. EdwinW1

EdwinW1

A similar incident happened to me a couple of years back. A buddy and I were out on our motorcycles just cruising along after about an hour of riding. We decided to head home through town. We were heading south and a van was coming from the north on a 2 lane city street. I was trailing my friend. Inside the van the passenger points a gun at me and proceeds to keep it trained on me, following me as we passed each other. My first reaction was one of fear along with the deep breathing as if I was out of breath. I was at his mercy no way to defend myself. I lowered myself onto my gas tank, and tried speeding up to get pass them almost wrecking into my friend.

I was so shook up from that 5 seconds of interaction that I could barely concentrate as I was heading home. It was as if I was in a slow motion scene of a movie. My buddy never saw the guy, he didn't even remember seeing the van. I had no idea if it was real or fake, all I saw was a black gun.

13. Glockanatorrrrr

Glockanatorrrrr

I would have to disagree, she and her husband were lucky. The worst move he could of done is chase them down. What if it really was a loaded "real gun?" He could be dead? How does she explain that to the children? Call 911 and report the crime, IMO taking the tough guy approach is a bad idea!

14. LazyJoeJr

LazyJoeJr

I was thinking about a similar incident today that happened to me a few years back when I was walking home after school my freshman year of high school.

Me and my brother were walking together and a red Ford Fucus slowly approached with 3 occupants inside. It was a fairly well traveled road but something seemed odd about it.

Sure enough, the front seat passenger pulled a black pistol out and pointed it at us. He pulled the trigger and sure enough it was an airsoft gun. We got the plate but ended up not reporting it. A couple of young guys being stupid.

Probably wouldnt turn out the same way if it happened again today.

15. glocksalot

glocksalot

as an LEO, (I cant say what i would really want to do to those a-holes) but I would have been more than happy to take out charges against those idiots on your behalf and pursue it till the end and make sure they were dealt with accordingly

so my point is-next time (hopefully it never happens again) report it

16. LazyJoeJr

LazyJoeJr

Yeah if something similar ever happens again it will be reported immediatly.

We were still inside the school zone too.

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

They should have been charged with assault and firearms violations because their intent was to cause fear and harm of an innocent person. Lucky they didn't try that with a person who had a real gun.

18. Just1More

Just1More

She drove home, then her husband went and chased them down? Did he drive around town and luckily locate them?

19. krush777

krush777

Press those charges!!! It is the only way to allow LEO's and Prosecutors to set a precedent and send a CLEAR message to those silly youths!!!

20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Houston go figure! Yep they were begging to get shot! She should have pressed charges!:steamed: