Punk or Metal?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pag23, Oct 2, 2018.

1. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

2. maxmanta

maxmanta

Whoever said SOD, MOD, and DRI were punk bands?

Joe! likes this.

3. WABOOM

WABOOM

None for me. Thanks.

4. Gfive45

Gfive45

5. bgirls

bgirls

What are SOD, MOD, and DRI? I must try to get out more, nah, will leave the new music alone!!! We do have a welding tech that cranks some of most awful, what he calls music in the fab shop. If that has anything to do with the quality work he does, then crank away Jason!!!

6. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

So... what's your definition of Punk exactly?

There are definitely harder edged bands that could be qualified as Punk (Misfits, Minor Threat, etc.) vs. mellower or classic Punk bands (Ramones, The Clash, Social Distortion, maybe Bad Brains, etc.), but, personally, I wouldn't normally put any of your suggestions in either of those categories.

(At least you mentioned 30 year old bands that I know about. I have no idea what, if any, bands of today might be considered punk or metal.)

I would call your suggestions metal. Thrash metal, IMO, but I know those labels vary. (Although, some of MOD's music does feel punk influenced, thinking about it now).

I once owned a jean jacket with an SOD patch on the back right under the Testament back patch. With all this reminiscing...

I Want Some Milk.

Joe! and ScotchWhisky like this.
  7. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

And speaking of SOD, to this day I'm still annoyed at MTV for starting their Headbanger's Ball with the heavy sounds of the Stormtroopers of Death, which always got my hopes up only to disappoint by playing videos of poser, mainstream, glam metal bands during the program. That was just so wrong.