close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Punctuality?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Mar 13, 2010.

1. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

One of my pet peeves is people who are regularly late. Here in Spain it is common joke, even with the locals to ask if the time for a meeting is real or “Spanish Time”. This gives a lot of people the excuse to show up 10, 20 or even 30 minutes late while everyone else has to wait on them before things get started. It seems much more prevalent with the younger generation. I know that some big-wigs use being late as a demonstration of power, but no matter what the reason is, it really ticks me off.:steamed:

Maybe I’m anal about the whole thing, but I can only recall one time in the past 30 some odd years where I was late for any type of appointment, work, meeting, date, etc. (not too many dates anyway, so guess that’s not a good example :upeyes:). But with me, you can be certain that if I’m late for something, chances are I’m dead. Maybe some of it comes from my Navy time, but even before then, I was always paranoid about being late for anything.

Anybody else out there seeing that punctuality, like many other of rules of common decency are starting to disappear, and on a scale of 1 -10, how much do you rate the importance of being on time? (1 being of no consequence, and 10 being extremely important

2. longhair

longhair

I see punctuality as a sign of respect. That is how I treat it. If you are late, my respect for you is lowered.

3. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Punctuality is definitely a cultural thing.

I am on time. It must be my northern European heritage.

If you are more than 15 minutes late you are already behind the 8 ball with me.

I do not let my time wasted.

4. nursetim

nursetim

This how paranoid I am about being late. If I have an appointment (like a job interview) I'll scout out the location the day before so I can find it no problem on the day of the appointment. So on your scale, I put it at an 8.

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

It's very important to me. An extension of your word. If I can't believe you we aren't gonna get too far.

6. KevinFACE

KevinFACE

7. JMS

JMS 02

I always tell my wife we have to be some place 30 minutes before we do. I myself am mortified showing up late and I find it to be disrespectful and almost a power play, as if my time is more important than yours.

8. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I always show up to everything 20-30 minutes early.

9. Tenngunner

Tenngunner

+1000

10. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I also reconnoitered my future workplace and environs prior to the interview! Nothing like having some solid intel on your side.:supergrin:

11. icantpick

icantpick Señor Member

I'm not comfortable with putting a number on it, but to me punctuality is important. That said, I still often wind up being late.

As for the Spanish Time. That's a genuine cultural difference. They aren't being lazy, they just don't have to same view on time as northern Europeans do.

12. smokin762

smokin762

I agree. I hate it when people are late. Whenever my sister calls and says she is coming over in an hour, I do not expect her to come over for 2-3 hours.:upeyes:

I have people make fun of me at work because I like to show up for work atleast a half hour early. This gives me plenty of time incase of any car troubles or if I just want to relax before work starts.

In the mean time I laugh at my co-workers who are busting through the door trying to punch in on time. Even my boss is late on a daily basis.:dunno:

13. Adams454

Adams454

I too hold punctuality in a high regard. I can't stand running late, or even feeling like I'm gonna be late. It always drove me crazy that my ex never cares when she gets anywhere. Even if I'm just coming over for a BBQ. If you tell me to be there about 7:00, I'll be pulling up the driveway at 6:50.

14. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

That's a double whammy black mark in my book.

I'm pretty much "The Boss" on the project, and I'm always the first in and last out.

How can anybody expect others to do something they can't?

15. JMS

JMS 02

My 'boss' is always running 10-15 minutes late constantly. We know he adjusts his time card to reflect that he was there on time b/c corporate does not allow his behavior.

The team has absolutely no respect for him or his daily 'advice.' I'll nod at him to recognize his presence and won't say another word to him the whole day. Anything he says goes in on ear and out the other.

16. blueiron

blueiron

If you are going to be delayed, call or inform. I appreciate the courtesy and understand. If you are late because you have no personal or professional discipline, do not expect me to deal with you.

It is that simple.

17. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I hate being late and feel that it is rude to be late. I do understand that sometimes things like accidents happen but there are those who are habitually late, that is unacceptable.

I was raised to be on time, if not then I was punished. So it is very important to me to be punctual.

18. G26Okie

G26Okie

I am always on-time or early, and I can't stand when people are late.

19. roy hobbs

roy hobbs Infidel

I don't believe in being late. It shows lack of respect for the others that were on time.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

I've had a saying for years. 8 A.M. comes the same time every morning. One of my fellow managers asked what that meant one day and I told her it meant be here on time. She acted like I had called her a wh*re.