Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mossburg 500 / 590 , Maverick 88 , Remington 870 , etc. ... Which models / series do you find offer the widest selection of after market parts , accessories , add ons , etc. to turn a stock shotgun into a tactical shotgun ? I'm thinking of a lower to mid priced 12 gauge pump with high reliability that you could turn into a 12 gauge "project gun" to have fun with but also primarily be used for HD but also switch to a vent rib 28" field model for sporting clays or hunting . *My short list are Mossburg 500 combo security / field and the same in a Maverick 88 , but there could be others - your thoughts and experiences ?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Maverick is just a cheap M500. If you can get a 500, don't even look at a Maverick.

M500s can switch roles quickly and easily. Mine has a 18.5" for HD, a 24" rifled barrel for hunting deer on military reservations, and a 26" vent rib smoothbore for doves and turkeys. And it's hard to beat the bubba-ization options for a 500.

For the 590, they don't share barrels with any other model, and I don't know of a hunting barrel made for that model. You can use 835 barrels on the 590A1 with the 6-round mag tube, though.

Most barrels for the 870 also interchange, and they're good guns also. Lots of glitter nail polish and rainbow sequins available for the 870, but I think the M500 has the edge on "accessories".

Forget the Maverick, get a 500, 590A1, or 870.

·
****** Viejo
31,846 Posts
Mossburg 500 / 590 , Maverick 88 , Remington 870 , etc. ... Which models / series do you find offer the widest selection of after market parts , accessories , add ons , etc. to turn a stock shotgun into a tactical shotgun ? I'm thinking of a lower to mid priced 12 gauge pump with high reliability that you could turn into a 12 gauge "project gun" to have fun with but also primarily be used for HD but also switch to a vent rib 28" field model for sporting clays or hunting . *My short list are Mossburg 500 combo security / field and the same in a Maverick 88 , but there could be others - your thoughts and experiences ?
I prefer Mossberg 500s and then the Mavericks. I have owned both in addition to Remington 870s, 1100s , Savage Stevens, Noble ,Ithica and Winchester pumps. I'll stick with Mossberg pump shotguns. Good luck in your choice. tom.

Reactions: Redeemed

·
Registered
27,708 Posts
In 2007 I decided I needed a HD shotgun - could not decide between Remington and Mossberg.

I went to a gun show and whatever gun had the best deal was coming home with me.

That ended up being an 870 - no regrets - but if Mossberg would have had a better deal I would have purchased one.

IIRC it was $315 out the door -

Right now I would go with Mossberg.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Plant Air gun Wood Sports equipment Shotgun

Hey, I love this thing! But not great for aftermarket parts. Mine is stock with the exception of the Bushnell red dot and Magpul sling. That's all I'm going to do with her. She's ready!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Reactions: Quade

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
Maverick is just a cheap M500. If you can get a 500, don't even look at a Maverick.

M500s can switch roles quickly and easily. Mine has a 18.5" for HD, a 24" rifled barrel for hunting deer on military reservations, and a 26" vent rib smoothbore for doves and turkeys. And it's hard to beat the bubba-ization options for a 500.

For the 590, they don't share barrels with any other model, and I don't know of a hunting barrel made for that model. You can use 835 barrels on the 590A1 with the 6-round mag tube, though.

Most barrels for the 870 also interchange, and they're good guns also. Lots of glitter nail polish and rainbow sequins available for the 870, but I think the M500 has the edge on "accessories".

Forget the Maverick, get a 500, 590A1, or 870.
Kind of the opposite for me. I’ve had three 870s, two Winchester 120 rangers, two mossberg 500s, and one mossberg Maverick.

My original 870 Wingmaster was wonderful. I had feeding (due to a rough barrel) and parts issues with two 870 express’s, had feed issues with one of the mossberg 500s, had part breakage with one of the Winchester 120s. All of the companies did a wonderful job and corrected the various issues free of charge and they worked great afterwards.

But the Maverick has been flawless. My son has a Maverick that has seen more abuse than any shotgun I have ever owned and has never missed a beat. I don’t really see a ton of difference with any of the inexpensive pumps on the market today as far as functionality. The 500 and 870 do have more options for after market accessorizing though.

·
Registered
Glock 17 Gen 3
51 Posts
View attachment 1058547

Hey, I love this thing! But not great for aftermarket parts. Mine is stock with the exception of the Bushnell red dot and Magpul sling. That's all I'm going to do with her. She's ready!
I have the same gun with the same sights minus sling. Over 500 rounds shot with only one cleaning and no malfunctions so far!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts