Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I've been doing some pullup/chinup work over the course of the last few weeks. I've already made some gains in my max reps and visible muscle size. But I'm going away for a week (leaving tommorow or Saturday and will be returning the following Friday) and have no pullup bar available for usage. Will an increased number of pushup sets compensate for this and help maintain my strength over this time period and, if so, how many sets of 25 should I do?

I'll try to check in, if possible, but I'm not sure if there will be Wi-Fi were I'm going. If not, I'll see you guys in a week!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need one of these http://againfaster.squarespace.com/again-faster-bar/ or a set of rings to take with you. Short of that, I'd bet you can find somewhere to do pull-ups if you looked enough. I've head of people doing pull-ups in the rest room at work, on the cross bar that goes over the stall door.
I'll look into one of those. I'll look around for something to do pullups on, but would several sets of pushups a day suffice to preserve the muscle?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'll look into one of those. I'll look around for something to do pullups on, but would several sets of pushups a day suffice to preserve the muscle?
Pushups are good for you, and you should continue to do them, but they are not a replacement exercise for pullups as they are almost a complete opposite muscle workout.

Pullups/chinups are a PULL exercise where you work your back (lats)and biceps, where pushups are a PUSH exercise where you work your chest and triceps.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pushups are good for you, and you should continue to do them, but they are not a replacement exercise for pullups as they are almost a complete opposite muscle workout.

Pullups/chinups are a PULL exercise where you work your back (lats)and biceps, where pushups are a PUSH exercise where you work your chest and triceps.
Ok. I knew they worked different muscle groups, but I had figured that the pushups would just provide enough stress on the bicep muscle to keep them from deteriorating. I guess I'll just have to try to find a surface to do pullups on.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ok. I knew they worked different muscle groups, but I had figured that the pushups would just provide enough stress on the bicep muscle to keep them from deteriorating.
I would say that is true to a degree. That is part of the reason I never work my upper body (even if it is an opposite muscle group) two days in a row.

In addition, I hate having to take time off, but in the 7 days you will be gone, I don't think you risk losing much.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, cool. I've made some pretty good progress over the last 2-3 weeks and I didn't want to lose it, so this is a big relief. I'll do the pushups anyway for the upper body benefit and still try to find a pullup surface, but I'm not as concerned about it now. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
If I only had to miss one week, I'd just skip the pullups unless I could come up with a convenient way. Just do the other stuff that you can do easily on the road. You should lose no strength in one week (conditioning either, for that matter).

I've thought about this a little lately because I've been traveling a lot. I've yet to find a way to do pullups in a hotel room and my schedule hasn't let me go out searching for something to hang off of.

We've typed about ab wheels lately. I think there might be a little crossover there. Some of my same muscles get sore from pullups and rollouts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm back. I'm going to try and see if I can still do the same number of pullups/chinups I was doing before the trip, which I think I can. Throughout the week, I was just wishing I had the bar and wanting to do some, but couldn't find a decent surface.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I usually do 1 set 100 push ups 1 set 50 diamond push ups 1 set 25 pullups and 1 set of 25 chinups every morning to supplement my workouts and it enables me to miss some workouts
since i work 50 hrs a week and have two kids...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Scarecrow - it's too late now but I just thought of something you could have done... bent over suit case rows. But like others have said, a week off wouldn't concern me. Did you notice any difference in strength when you got home?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
That's an awesome idea for those of us who travel a lot. How 'bout Suitcase Swings also? Might lose a shin that way, though. I can see it now. I'm going to get charged for breaking a table or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts