close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pulled the trigger...a week in Ireland with wifey.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Jun 20, 2012.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

It's time for the annual Airmotive redemption of airline miles and hotel points.

The trip isn't until October.
    Booked three days at Ashford Castle (not on points there...too bad). After that...??? We have another three days, a rental car and a buttload of hotel points to blow.

Any suggestions? Although wifey is Irish (O'Connor....which, I've learned ties in nicely with Ashford Castle), neither of us has been to Ireland before.

I've done a little googlefu and came up with Glasnevin Cemetery. Naturally a Guiness tour and pub crawl will be in order. But I'm open for suggestions!

2. mtpisgah

mtpisgah

My wife and I went in 2010 and stayed in Einiskerry (sp?). We had a great time but it would have been better if it hadn't snowed 7". It was over Thanksgiving and it was a record snowfall for them. We were able to see some of the sights we were interested in but a few were closed due to the road conditions.

There were a few pubs in town and in 11 days we became regulars at one of them. We tried all of their beers although I am not big on Irish beer. I don't like whiskey at all but I wish I had tried it now.

Look for things that interest you but leave a few days open for random things. We did some hiking and spent two days in Dublin, one hitting the museum and other sights and one just hitting pubs and bike shops.

It was a fantastic vacation. You will have a great time.

3. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

If you are over on the west coast, try to spend a few days in Galway. Great downtown area with shopping,pubs and restaurants. I also suggest you take a day cruise here http://www.aranislands.ie/ to Inishmore. I loved it there. I also don't suggest renting a car. There is so much public transportation there and it is so cheap it wasn't worth the risk of renting a car and having to drive on the wrong side of the road.

4. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Up by Galway - I've heard nothing but good about that town.

I was there last September / October for a week-plus with my brother. Spend 3-4 days in Dublin, and then did the Ring of Kerry and Dingle Loop. These are near each other, but south of where you're going. Of course nothing is really far apart there.

In Dublin, the Guinness Storehouse and Jameson Distillery are right around the corner from each other, and Trinity College is a 15 minute walk. The Library / Book of Kells was pretty cool to see. Temple Bar is a fun area too.

I'd suggest Kerry but I think if you're up in Galway the experience would be too similar and I wouldn't want to miss Dublin.

Have fun! The people were unbelievably friendly and the food was remarkably good.

Oh also I picked up driving on the wrong side of the road a lot faster than I thought I would. If you haven't done this before, it's not that big a deal.

5. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

The people are very friendly. They really seem to like Bostonians because Ireland has alot of history with Boston. I brough a few Red Sox hats and Red Sox t-shirts and gave them to the people that we liked in the hotel. I have to disagree about the food being good, we thought it sucked. The Irish are not known for their cuisine but after a half dozen Guiness it didn't taste near as bad.

6. Detectorist

Detectorist

I wold have chosen someplace warm for a vacation in October.

Have fun!!

7. Mr. Niceguy

Mr. Niceguy Senior Member

Just got back a couple of weeks ago. Very friendly people, and history is everywhere you look. Among other things, we enjoyed the Cliffs of Moher, and the banquet at the Bunratty Castle.

8. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

I didn't mind the food at all, but you sound like my Brother. Food in ireland is a little bland and lacks flavor and spices. I liked the food for what it was, but my brother who douses things with hot sauce and salt and pepper was dying.

If its any indication, the big hit with folks I know over in Ireland is Doritos. Once they come to the USA and try one, their mind is blown.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012