Pulled Pork

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Rob96, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Well yesterday I tried making pulled pork for the second time. It was approx. 9 pounds. Used my gas grill with one burne lit and left on low. I maintained a steady *250 the whole time. For the first six hours I used hickory wood chips, replenishing them once an hour. After six hours I sprayed it once an hour with an apple juice, white vinegar, worcestshire mix. Pulled the pork when the internal temp hit *195. It was delicious. My brothr was up from Virginia and loved it.

2. moeman

moeman

How do you get your wood chips to smoke? I ask because when I use a cast iron smoker box and have my gas grill set w/ one burner on low the chips don't smoke even when set right above the burner. I normally soak my chips-- maybe that's the problem. Works great at higher temps...

I wish I could have tasted your pulled pork...Mmmmmmmmm...

3. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I soak the chips for about a half hour. I place the cast iron smoker box on top of the ceramic briquettes, below the cooking grate. So basically it sits right at the flame.

4. nickg

nickg

have really good sex with them first? ;f

there is DEFINITELY a joke there, but i refuse to be the first!! ;f

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

6. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

;z ;z

7. nickg

nickg

miss kitty -- that's why i refused to take it any further than that. so let's leave it there. :)

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

9. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

May I ask why it is called pulled pork?

10. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Because, you just pull it apart into shredded pieces, thats how tender it gets.

11. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

What people mean by "barbecue" varies from one area of the US to another. In some places, they slice it like ham, in some places they chop it up really fine, but mostly in the Deep South we just pull it apart with your hands. It ends up being a pile of shredded meat. No knife needed. Of course, it has to be cooked until it is really tender and kept from drying out.

We are talking pork barbecue here---mostly something like a Boston butt---not ribs, and not chicken or beef.

I've barbecued many, many times, but I have never done a "pig-in-the-ground". I always wanted to. As a child, I saw it done by the grownups a few times. It was wonderful. Seems like a big job with great potential for over/under cooked meat and for getting dirt in it. I guess staying up and drinking beer all night and BS'ing with the guys/gals is the main attraction.

NRA_guy

12. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST