close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pulled or Strained Back Muscle. Ouch.........

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Feb 27, 2007.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Oh Man! I'm having to take a couple days or maybe a week or two off. I was performing heavy squats, when I felt a pain in my lower left side of my back. That was 2 days ago. My back is sore to the touch and really stiff. 550lbs one rep box squat:sad: I made the squat but paid the price.:sad: Powerlifting contest in April.:shocked:

2. DBradD

DBradD

Man, that stinks. I feel your pain because I'm apparently injury-prone nowadays.

If you feel around in that area can you feel a specific muscle that's knotted up and painful to the touch? I've read recommendations for trying to massage away problems like that. Might be worth a try.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Mossy,

Sorry to hear about your injury. Too bad, a 550# box squat is good. You're strong!

Am I mistaken, or is the PL stuff a deviation in your training?

Good luck, I hope you make your meet.

Jack

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Hey! Thanks for the replies. Yup! 550lb box squat. That was actually the first time that I have ever tried that much weight. But...My buddies kept insisting for me to try it. 550lbs isnt nearly as much as some of the other bigger guys do. You should see some of the Bench Press & Deadlift guys.:shocked:

I feel alot better today. My trainer said that I will be fine. If not April. I'll be there in July.:thumbsup: My 24 yr old nephew is will be attending and performing for the first time as well.

5. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

FWIW. I'm not doctor but I would consult a chiropractor or an osteopathic physician. I would ice it, stretch the hell out of my hamstrings and take naproxen. That was a hell of a box squat!!!!

6. DBradD

DBradD

Dayum, I didn't catch that part of the story!

Those things are dang scary looking. I'm curious: What's the benefit of doing these? Back when I competed, I did pause squats, like 75% of my max paused at the bottom for a count of 5, but I never actually sat on anything like I've seen people do. Backs always look rounded out when I watch people do that. Looks very scary.

7. Highspeed

Highspeed