close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pull up tower

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Timothy658, May 17, 2006.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

I am in the market for a pull up tower...what stuff should I be looking for, like features and such? Who makes a quality unit? The local Dicks Sporting Goods, has a "Fitness Gear" brand pull up tower for 79.99, is this a quality brand? Thanks.

2. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

I would like to have a pull up tower also. I was looking at them at Sears and I saw that they were very well made. The ones that I was looking at had a chin up station, dip station and a push up station. They looked well worth the money.

If in doubt check out http://fitnessfactoryoutlet.com I know that their products are A1 quality. :cool:

3. five-0

five-0

Timothy...look for one that has thick enough steel to support plenty of weight...I've seen some that were thin and flimsy. Also, make sure the base supports are wide enough to prevent swaying.

HTH

4. Timothy658

Timothy658

What do you guys consider thick enough steel? The Fitness Gear brand has 14 guage steel, would this be thick enough?

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

14 gauge is too light for any gym equipment. I know - I have a 14 gauge bench and it is a POS. Get 11 gauge, or 7 if you can afford it.

6. Timothy658

Timothy658

Does anybody have a link to a pull up tower they can recommend? I checked out a few online at Dicks Sporting Goods, and Dunhams, but they have low cost towers. It also looks like shipping is a killer on these things, and locally I have access to a Dicks and Dunhams, but thats about it. Any suggestions?

7. The Goose

The Goose

Check out www.newyorkbarbells.com. Click on the Chinning and Dipping section. They make some decent equipment. I have one of their power racks and a bench with 3" tubing. Certainly very sturdy for home use. I don't really like that all of their stuff is bolted together, but again if you keep it tight it is plenty secure for home use.

I used to get great welded equipment at cheap prices from Jubinville in Springfield, MA, but I don't think they are around any more.

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Before I had a power rack, I built a pullup bar out of one-inch galvanized pipe, connectors and floor flanges. It had braces at the corners going downward at a 45-degree angle, so it was mounted on four points. The whole thing was screwed into a piece of plywood, which I lag screwed into the wall. Weighing 250, I did pullups with up to 50 pounds added and it was rock-solid. Total cost was less than $20, if I remember right.