close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Public Works Employee Killed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock-it-to-me, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

There's no government employee subsection in "Serving America" so i'll post it here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/windsor/story/2010/03/09/sault-death.html

Ontario company charged in worker's death

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 | 7:27 AM ET Comments2Recommend3

The Canadian Press

A Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. company will appear in court this week on a charge of criminal negligence causing death.
    Public works employee James Vecchio died at a city landfill last April when a mobile crane contracted by the city fell on him.
    Police laid the negligence charge against two people and a numbered company operating as Millennium Crane Rental.
    Ontario Federation of Labour president Sid Ryan says the criminal charge may represent a "huge step forward" for worker safety.
    In a statement, Ryan says employers will now have to "sit up and take notice" of possible criminal charges in worker deaths.
    Ontario's Ministry of Labour also laid six charges against the company under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

2. SafetyGuy83

SafetyGuy83

Very sad. It is a shame someone gets killed when they are just trying to make a living. I nearly lost my job the other day arguing with a project manager about crane use. People do not treat cranes with the respect they need. Anything involving a crane need proper planning. The results of inexperience and poor planning have been seen all too often in recent years.