close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Public Shooting Ranges

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BamaAL24, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

Does anyone ever go to the public shooting ranges in their local national forest?

I ask because I went today and was rather disappointed in the attention paid to safety on the range. I even had to inform one shooter I was stepping away from the line until she began following proper firearm safety.

It may be worth the long ride to a private range in the future.

2. AA#5

AA#5

I frequent a public range. It's a large range & I'm aware that some safety violations will go unnoticed. RO's can't catch every single error. On occasion, I have politely made the shooter aware & have notified a RO if it continued (which it usually didn't.)

The most unforgettable incident was when a guy calmly walked out to change his targets when it wasn't a cease fire - other shooters' targets inches away on either side of him....& no employees noticed immediately. I was astounded that people just kept shooting around him as if he weren't there. I yelled "Cease Fire" as loud as I could & jumped & waved my hands but hardly anyone noticed & they couldn't hear me because only the RO's have megaphones. When he was on his way back to the firing line, a RO called a cease fire & started yelling at him, "Hey, dude, WTF's the matter with you....wanna die?"

3. lehigh

lehigh

I left already when I felt uneasy with the way people handeled guns.
    I don't go on weekends before hunting opens and in the summer.
    Lehigh...

4. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

We have a public range here that is maintained by the conservation dept. No ROs so basically enter at your own risk. I've never had any problems with anyone acting like a jackass though. Everyone who comes out is actually very responsible from what I can see.

5. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

Glad to hear y'all have had better experiences for the most part. I'm new to Glocks but not guns. Safety has always been real big in my book. Guess that's what I get for going on a Saturday.

6. Glockster45ACP

Glockster45ACP

Unfortunately I had to stop going to these places 20 years ago because of the wild west unsafe atmosphere. Never went back.

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I don't mind politely telling someone to be more safe, if they are not being so. Sadly, some people really don't know any better.

8. Taurus851

Taurus851

I go to the NRA headquarters range. Never had a problem but some people can be overly uptight

9. AmmoChief

AmmoChief

There's a conservation range 3 minutes from my house but I have never used it because you have to wait in line for hours to get a spot on the range. The place is so crowded you can't get near it and that's even during the week during normal work hours, early in the AM. I've driven thru there numerous times only to drive away, cursing under my breath. I'd really love to find a place to shoot my rifles around here but at this rate I never will.

10. unit1069

unit1069

I usually shoot at an unsupervised outdoor Conservation Department range near my home.

I've seen instances of careless shooters and as a result I've tried to go when there are a minimal number of people there.

Another Conservation range near my sister's home in the hills where I shoot two or three times a year is also unstaffed but I've never observed any careless shooters there. It might be that rural folk are much more aware of shooting rules and etiquette than those from the city.

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

I thought most of MO was Gods country??? You can't find a place to shoot?

/

12. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Sounds like a hassle. I see youre in KC. Just make the trip to St. Joseph. The range up here is called Pigeon Hill to the locals. I can give you directions if you need them, just PM me. There's never any waiting and there are three ranges. 25, 50, and 100 yards. There's also a skeet range down the road. It is off of gravel, so if you have a nice car, don't bring it, bring the beater.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I do most of my practice at an indoor range. The only outdoor range near me is not "free", it's a public range with 4 different bays. You get your own bay when you go there... $10 an hour or so.

I was there today for two hours practicing GSSF courses of fire.

I've heard WAY too many horror stories about the non-managed sites such as the OP is talking about... no thanks.

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

I shoot mostly at Americas biggest public outdoor shooting range, ran by Clark County Nevada, you get a day ticket for $7 there. I can't find the right words to describe that range, it's just awesome there. The RO's are great and also very safety oriented which I like. Although a crazy guy almost shot me in the rips from the side. When he racked the slide back to charge his .45 1911. He was holding it to the side, so that muzzle pointed towards me while his trigger finger was on the trigger. The range officer and I saw it, the RO immediately ran to him and took his gun slowly out of his hands while I made a few steps back. He then got a special lesson about gun safety. He didn't came back to shoot while I was there. I guess that's a risk you have to accept when you go and shoot your guns at the range.

15. grapony

grapony

You must be talking about the range in Bankhead national forest, Are you from NW AL?

16. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

I too shoot at a huge range in the west, Ben Avery Shooting Facitity in north Phoenix. The public range has 66 benches, and in these GORGEOUS nonsummer* days, the place is jammed. Jammed or not, the ROs place safety FIRST and run the place accordingly. Almost every time I leave, I thank them for running a SAFE shootingrange.

* There's no winter in Phoenix, only 6 months of summer and then unsummer. :embarassed:

17. 40 S+W

40 S+W

Our DNR ranges are mostly unmaned here in Ga to.. I think our biggest problem is that so many folks get into shooting now a days and don't do the homework to make it safe.. Just buy a gun and find a place to shoot and thats that.. Look at the ceilings and walls of your indoor ranges and you'll see the stupidity continues there also!!! Last week I found a hole in the drop table bench at my indoor range and I know that was a close one for someone... Man there's times I'd like to have my vest on with some of these folks shooting...

18. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

Actually from near Capitol. If anyone knows any other ranges close by, please let me know.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

*Near* Capitol? Google Maps doesn't even pull up a Capitol, Alabama.

I was just curious when the other guy said Bankhead Forest, because that's close to where my family is from (Jasper).

20. BamaAL24

BamaAL24

I'm sorry. Typo while I was rushing through my post. The capital, Montgomery. Sorry for any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.