close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PT1911-induced insecurity?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Eyescream, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I don't have a dog in this race, so I'm more than a little confused and intrigued as to why it seems so many owners of the Taurus 1911s are so quick to offend when aspersions are cast against TEH DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR BETS 1911 EVAR?

I mean, I have a piece of Filipino-made MIM trash and it doesn't bother me at all when people talk about Filipino-made MIM trash.

2. bac1023

bac1023

:dunno:

I don't know, but I find it irritating.

3. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

It's probably (I would rather that it's not) dawning realization that they've been taken, to some degree. Getting taken by the ad hype shows a certain lack of research.

I have one. I also have several fairly decent 1911s of other makes. I don't think the Taurus is junk, but I do recognize it needs help and I have no illusions about these "custom features," most of which are poorly executed. First and foremost would be the front strap "checkering." I don't know what it should be called, but it bears no resemblance whatsoever to real checkering. Anybody who has experienced the real McCoy knows what I'm talking about. I'm going to replace a few things when I get around to it. Make sure it doesn't give me any trouble.

Taurus had an opportunity to enter this market and do really well. Two things would be required. Tight QC and exceptional CS. Unfortunately, so many people's experiences show that these two areas are where Taurus is most heavily deficient.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. bnkrtstk

bnkrtstk

Nobody wants to think their junk is junk. I own one because I wanted an inexpensive 1911 and I got a good deal on it. It has served me well so far, but I know what it is( cheap paper killer, occassional CC) and what is isn't (high end spec-ops custom pistol).

Conversely there are people who have never touched one that jump on the "Taurus is crap" bandwagon and that is just as irritating.

5. bac1023

bac1023

I don't like that either. I got burned by the PT1911 and an old Millenium that I owned. I also fired some other Taurus models that I don't care for. However, I've said many times that I like my Taurus revolvers and PT92.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I think that's fair. Especially your last paragraph.

7. dakrat

dakrat

I think it has something to do with taurus bad customer service reputation. and their ballsy advertisement of the PT1911.

IMO, taurus' reputation will be scarred for a long long time..

8. bac1023

bac1023

Yeah, their CS kills them.

As for their PT1911 AD campaign, its bad, but nothing like the new Desert Eagle 1911 AD slogan. :steamed:

9. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Well, it's been demonstrated lots of times that you can let out a few lemons (S&W is a good illustration) or alot (Kel-tec is a good example), but if you have a kick-*** customer service department and you treat your customers right, they won't mind the occasional lemon so much. It's a simple formula, you make a customer happy, he tells friend. If you make a customer unhappy, he gets on the net and tells everybody.

As for the MRI slogan, I'll bet that doesn't last long. Most in the 1911 crowd aren't going to like it. I know I don't.

10. bac1023

bac1023

I think I'm going to email them about it, which is not something I ever do. I know it won't do any good, but damn, that's offensive. I just want my voice heard, at least.

I'll explain how much I think it will hurt its sales from people that actually know 1911s.

11. Don-wayne

Don-wayne

bac
    Desert eagle is getting slammed HARD all over the net about that ad. I'm sure thats what JMB has been waiting all these years for. A bul manufactured Chales daley turd under the logo desert eagle.

12. bac1023

bac1023

I'll be surprised if they keep that slogan much longer.

Its in extremely poor taste. Whoever their PR person or people are, they need to go. What the hell were they thinking? How stupid can they be?

13. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Well, at least the ad was effective, we're talking about it.:supergrin:

14. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Their first shipment was just fine for 500 dollars OTD. Only thing wrong was the ambi's broke like brittle bones but you could have that fixed for $50 dollars and less if you know how to do it yourself.
    They had crude front strap checkering and a thin finish, and Tuarus CS is a industry joke. But they were fine for 5 bills OTD. Now the price has went up and quality down and they are no longer worth what they are asking.

But now they are asking almost the same for a Taurus as a Kimber Custom II. Same junk MIM parts and thin finish, but the Kimber if much better fit and workmanship. Plus Kimber has some CS. Same for a Springfield Armory expect they have excellent CS. Taurus is in a price range now were they make no sense.

15. bac1023

bac1023

:rofl:

16. cigarlover

cigarlover

+1 on that.. I see the same thing with the colt, kimber, and sa owners. They act almost as if retarded and then get offended if you say something to them. Oh well- some people got it and some are just plain lacking. We'll just over look those people and keep going on about our business...:yawn:

17. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The problem is that a lot of guys have one problem with one gun, and become vocally opposed to the entire brand of firearms. For instance, Kimber had some serious issues with their external extractors. Even Kimber fans openly admit that. A lot of guys who had issues with these guns pop up in every Kimber thread with a "Kimber sucks" comment. In reality, Kimbers were good before the external extractors and are now good again since they dropped the external extractors. Objectively that makes sense, but some people feel burned by the company and will never let themselves like their products again no matter how good they may be.

Taurus is different. The PT1911's in this area had a 50% return rate for the first 18 months they were shipping. I know because I was a gun department manager at the time, and did the paperwork on a lot of the returns myself. We got to the point where we would try to talk people out of buying them. When the store tries to talk you out of buying a product that they would make money selling, it's time to listen. That's a chronic problem with that entire series of guns. Why do people get offended when they read that? I suppose they don't want to think they spent $600 on a fragile pos. It doesn't change the fact that it is a pos, but it's understandable.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Some people just get emotionally attached to their personal possessions way too much.

Take a look around the gun forums. It happens with every make. There are people who think their Glock is the be all, end all of firearms. I'm sorry but it's not. I have see worn finishes. I have seen rust. I have seen parts break. People get butthurt when I mention this.

I have 4 Sigs. All of them the supposedly rust bucket folded steel slides. Yet I have never seen and rust on them besides the police trade in that was most definately missing the C in CPO. But I knew that going in since it was not a CPO. Does that mean that Sigs do not rust? Of course not. I could probably get mine to rust pretty quick if I did a few things.

Kimbers are supposed to be garbage. Yet the three guys at work have only had problems when we had a shipment of 185 gr ammo that they did not like. My Colt has the same problem with the 230 gr we usually buy if I don't lube it enough. Which brings me to another internet talking point, Colts are crap.

Cars are about the closest thing to guns when it comes to fan loyalty. Have you ever heard people going off on a Ford vs. Chevy debate? Especially when it comes to trucks. If you told a man that his ***** is small and useless you would get a less hostile response than telling him his truck is crap.

Pretty much if it works for you then great. If it doesn't work then don't buy it or realize it is what it is.

As for Taurus 1911s I don't have a problem with them any more than any other gun I do not own or have not shot. I do have a problem with their ad campaign. I am sorry but just because a part that looks like a custom part is bolted onto your gun does not make it the same level as a custom gun. Superior fitting makes it custom quality. Mass production guns will never have custom quality parts on them because they do not have the time to do that and it would them take the gun into custom pricing.

A Taurus 1911 is a good gun if you can get it for the price you want. Every word in that sentence is very important.

19. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Just try to find adjustable rear sights for their "Heine cut"...I looked for a friend.

The Heine cut on the PT1911s is not even close to the standard Heine cut.

But If you don't mind the factory sights that's not a big deal.

20. cigarlover

cigarlover

Sorry- heard a post saying the same about kimber !! thay had the highest return rate on their pistols and that only certain models were worth a darn. I buy all my weapons from a high volume store that sells all makes and models. I am freinds with several of them. Not 1 return has been sent through their store for them. I have several friends with higher round counts on their pt1911's then most here with their customs- without any failures- including mine. Sorry but when someone posts BS- I gotta call you out on it.. but don't worry your not the only one.. And when they first hit the stores they had some issues- yes.. but what gun hasn't ?? smith m&p's, Glocks have had their issues, xd and even hk's. I had a 1911 guy tell me Glocks were a pos and he also was a " so called manager at a gun store" and would advise people away from the glock pistols because they wouldn't hold up to high round counts and they were made of cheap plastic !!- Now you gotta ask yourself- was that opinion or fact ? Am I or my buddies oddballs that just happen to get good pistols from Taurus? Maybe I should play the lottery this week huh ?? Or if someone is reading this post- just go to the taurus forum and you can see the # of happy customers as compared to the few that might have a problem with their pistol... Sorry buddy- your info aint cuttin it- I would have to rate that as opinion over fact... And you know what they say about opinions ??? Hope you have a good day