PSK and digital

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by InjuriousGeorge, Apr 19, 2007.

1. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Anyone here into BPSK31? I just got on the air with it last weekend. Worked a container ship in the Pacific Ocean with 25W, several stations in Canada too.

Are there any other bands besides 20M that have regular traffic? I couldn't really find any activity on 80M or 40M or 17M. There was one station on 30M but he couldn't hear me.

Anyone work 100W on PSK? It said not to in the manual but as long as you're running linear (not driving the ALC) what's the problem in trying to get some remote DX?

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

I have done a little on PSK31. As far as running full power, PSK drives your transmitter at near 100% duty cycle (same as holding down the cw key for extended time). For older rigs and amps this pust alot of power (heat) on the output stages. Older rigs were never designed for 100% duty cycle and this will damage them. Most modern rigs don't have any problem with this and are protected from over heating. I did work NN3SI on PSK31 one afternoon and got a nice QSL from him.

Rich

3. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

What's the name of the mode that's maybe 100Hz wide that, instead of railroad tracks on the waterfall like BSPK, has kind of a musical sound and looks like a series of short tones moving up and down in frequency across the 100Hz span?

Argh. I'll have to do a screen shot and post it.

4. FN64

FN64 Guest

It might be one of the Hellschriber modes. They're very narrow banded only slightly wider than CW & about 1/3 the width of a PSK thread. Post a screen shot if ya can..

FN

5. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

6. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Thanks for the link it was MFSK!

Bad propagation for me last couple of days. Everything is weak and my TX are not covering a lot of distance. Even the plentiful CA stations are quiet. I am hearing a lot of Euro stations but they cannot hear me.

7. martho

martho Guest

What is your TX antenna?

Eu should be easy to work on SSB/CW/digital just about everyday.

Try to listen for the BS7H. That will be a good test for everyone's antennas. They were about S3 this AM on 20cw around 13:45Z

8. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

I have a G5RV, oriented NNE. I'm partially surrounded by ridge lines so any angles under 10-15 degrees are not going straight out.

Last night I finally got through to a few Spanish and Portuguese stations on PSK.

Since Friday my noise has been S3-S7 on 40M and 20M. Not a peep from Scarborough reef.

9. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

Remember that we're at a low spot in the sunspot cycle. Propagation will only get better in the coming years.

That container ship contact sounds interesting. I wonder how common hams are on ship crews.

10. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

After a daybreak hike up to the top of the mountain I came home and decided to fire up the station and noticed a lot of 20M RTTY activity at 1300Z.

First contact? New Zealand using 20W. :)

Some kind of contest going on.

11. JBlitzen

JBlitzen Guest

12. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Anyone know why proportionally there seems to be more DX using RTTY than PSK31?

I've worked a lot of DX from eastern Europe, Africa, Asia but it's all on RTTY. Almost all the PSK31 is stateside, caribbean or Canadian.

Is my radio deaf on 14.070 because of all the strong stateside competition? Most PSK is bunched up within 3 kHz but even trolling with my 300Hz filter I couldn't find much PSK DX.

13. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Could be a cultural thing. Maybe PSK31 is just not as popular over there.

14. martho

martho Guest

I don't know the reason, however you are 100% correct. RTTY is everywhere while the PSK activity is limited. Our club station worked 100 countries on RTTY in 6 weeks. At the current rate, it would take 6 years to work 100 countries on PSK.

Keep an eye out for the PSK contests to see what activity you may hear. I worked FK8 on PSK a couple years ago but that is my only PSK DX QSO in the log.

Another big dxpedition coming next week 3B6DX

Two good sites for you:
    http://www.ng3k.com/Misc/adxo.html
    http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestcal.html

15. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Martho -- Did you work Scarborough Reef?

3B6DX just changed their call to something else. That will be a challenging one for me... if I can hear them I'll be able to work them. I'm considering building a homemade 20m rotatable dipole to take portable. Being surrounded by 700,000 neighbors and 3 major airports generates a lot of noise.

16. martho

martho Guest

I worked BS7H on 20cw and 17cw. I called for 2 hours and 16 minutes to work him on 20cw for my first one.

The call is now 3B6SP for Agalega. We have a good path to that part of the world, at least a much better path than the polar path to BS7.

The prop software shows good paths around 0200z on 30, 40 and 80. As long as they are on the air, logging them on 3 or 4 bands shouldn't be a terrible challenge. 20m has a slight probability at 2200z but doesn't peak nearly as high as 30 40 and 80. 3B6 would be an all-time new one for me.

I have 292 countries worked and 266 confirmed. I have 261 on CW and 246 on phone. I was fortunate last week to grab A52AM - Bhutan and SV2ASP/A Mt. Athos two consecutive days. More than likely, I will not ever work 2 new countries on back to back days again. With only 45 countries left and a bunch of them inactive or rarely active, it is highly unlikely.

Im a few cards shy of having enough for 80m DXCC to finish my 5 band DXCC. I have it on 10 15 20 40 confirmed. I also have over 100 worked on 17 and 30 but not enough cards in hand or on LoTW.

Do you chase countries?

17. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Only the slow ones. :laughabove:

It is a personal goal to work as many countries as possible, but I'm not chasing paper, I'm much more interested to see how far I can communicate.