PSA: Shadow 2 slide stop breakage

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by -JCN-, Dec 14, 2019.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

15,000 rounds on this gun since June.

The slide stop pin that tilts the barrel finally gave up.

C4A433C4-7A09-4026-AAC8-5237394351BC.jpeg

I noticed at the range today I was getting intermittent slide lock backs for no reason. Went to clean the gun afterwards and found the pin had broken.

Ordered a couple spares for the range bag. It’s the same part for P01s too.

Just a public service announcement as Dr. Google says this is pretty typical for this range of round count and the symptoms of random slide lock are also pretty typical.

I might just swap it prophylactically every 10k rounds or so.

1L26 likes this.
  2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

To me that wouldn’t be that big of a deal being that it’s not a carry gun. What did the new part cost? Other than this how do you like the Shadow 2? I was thinking of getting one before spring.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

15,000 rounds in 6 months is a LOT of shooting. That looks like basically a 1911 style slide stop and it would never surprise me that one broke after 15,000 rounds. Pretty normal.

Cambo, B C, -JCN- and 1 other person like this.
  4. papercidal

papercidal

I change the one on my match gun annually usually at about 12,000 rounds and throw the old one in the range bag as a spare Ben Stoeger pro shop has a annual maintenance kit that comes with a slide stop, trigger spring and recoil spring for under 50$. Ive yet to break anything on either of my shadow 2s but I replace the wear parts on my match gun before my area match every year the backup gun has only about 500 rounds through it so nothing has needed replacement yet.

Cambo and -JCN- like this.
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Interesting

That is a lot of shooting

-JCN- likes this.
  6. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

30k a year on one single gun it’s impressive. Knowing vaguely how many you have, what is your total round count for 2019?

7. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I don’t understand someone who can shoot that much. I only go to the range every month or two. 15k would last me half a life. I can’t comprehend.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  8. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Very common on high round count CZ75's.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a TS Orange and will be ordering spares.

Sniff, Cambo and -JCN- like this.
  9. Nick B

Nick B

Been known for a long time . Just replace it every 10k rounds and keep shooting. Or just keep a spare on hand and shoot till it breaks .

Sniff, Cambo and -JCN- like this.
  10. -JCN-

-JCN-

$35 or so.

I don't have 30k on this gun. I bought it as a backup gun in June when I started competing and moved it into primary duty. So I have 15k on the gun.

Before starting competing, I would spend the range time doing slower paced things. I didn't use to keep track of round counts and they were spread over many guns.

The first half of the year, I'd go to the range about once a week and shoot between 300-600 rounds per session.

So maybe 10,000 rounds the first half of the year.
    Then I started competing in June.

Now I go to the range twice per week and shoot about 500-700 rounds per trip.
    I'll usually shoot 350-500 out of my competition gun and another 100 out of a practice version of my carry gun. Also maybe 50-100 shooting the GT monthly challenge or just enjoying a firearm I haven't shot for a while.

I have an app that I've been tracking rounds this year:
    I went through and added up the total....

39,000 rounds this year.... yikes.

Every hobby I do, I do it with gusto. Guns are cheaper and take less time than car racing (my previous hobby).

checkyoursix, GlockPride and Cambo like this.
  11. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Many, many years ago, I cast, reloaded, and shot over 1500 rounds through a Ruger Redhawk over the course of a summer, and I thought that was a lot of shooting.

30,000 in six months= 5000 rounds per month. I shot 500 per month back then, and I thought I was really tearing it up!

-JCN- likes this.
  12. wild cat mccane

wild cat mccane

Known issue with a CZ.

If you buy a Tactical Sport, it comes with 3 of these in the box.

True story.

-JCN- likes this.
  13. Schrag4

Schrag4

I don't shoot anywhere near that much, but I understand it. I don't think that casual shooters like yourself really understand how much better someone who shoots 30k (or way more) rounds a year can be, if they're practicing correctly. At the risk of putting words in JCN's mouth, he has such a high round count to get better at competition. Go find a local IDPA or USPSA match and give it a shot. You may consider yourself a "decent shooter" if you go to the range 6-9 times a year, but I can assure you, you're barely a novice. No offense is meant by this statement. I compete regularly, and as someone who's classified as an "expert" in IDPA, I realize how much I truly, utterly suck compared to those that shoot 10-50 times as much as I do.

-JCN- likes this.
  14. Sniff

Sniff

I know a few IPSC shooters who swap out the slide stop before a match from the one they use for training / everyday use. Then swap it back afterwards.

I keep a spare for my Shadow in my range bag.

-JCN- likes this.