PSA owners: how many think you settled for a sub par rifle?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Jamesey, Mar 12, 2020.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have had a few ARs. If it functions for you. You are comfortable with it. Who cares about others?

2. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Which model Vortex did you get?

I'm planning on getting a red dot for my new AR soon, so I'm interested in the various options.

I will probably make a thread about it soon.

3. Rank Stranger

Rank Stranger

I just got done putting Snek Lower from PSA with their Enhanced Rifle lower paired with BCA 450 BM upper. No issues so all good on the cheap and functions fine 556 mags while waiting for my 450BM specific mags to get here. Now my brother wants one.

It does the same thing as the Colt do, go bang when needed but I have seen a lot of guys running around on high dollars stuff(snickering) that Can't shoot worth a darn(bless their hearts) tho. See the same thing while fly fishing so it's human nature at it 's best. Some got what it takes and some don't and money blows for them.

4. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Hi Big Bird!

Can you elaborate on this? What advantages does melonite barrel have over chrome moly?

5. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

For me the biggest thing is better corrosion resistance inside and out. I think a melonite barrel should be more accurate than a CL barrel--all things being equal. I've shot out many chrome lined barrels before including 120mm tank guns... :) And I've seen a lot of rusty chrome lined AK barrels on the battlefield as well... Have a take off barrel from a chrome lined Russian AK in my basement now thats rusty and rough. Now when it comes to 5.56 barrels I don't get into wear resistance or accuracy differences...most people will never shoot a rifle enough to wear it out and if you can afford to do so you know its no big deal to just buy another barrel...couple hundred bucks vs. lets say $10k in ammo...who gives a crap? What's the differential in wear? Couple hundred rounds? Big whoop? Talking about accuracy with most people is pointless as well because the vast majority of you can't hold the ten ring at 600 yards anyhow...so saying this barrel is more accurate than another is a waste of time for most people.

vitalibertas and wct097 like this.
  6. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

I agree with this mostly. Any hunk of metal will rust if you expose it to the elements enough and not maintain it. Theoretically CL should double the service life of a barrel depending on application, etc. All things being equal, a CL barrel done by a company that knows what they’re doing (like Colt or FN) should see very little or no accuracy degradation.

However, if you’re shooting matches, for sure, it’s not worth it to take the chance on some CL imperfection. And you’re exactly right that you’ll shoot thousands of dollars of ammo before you’ll wear out a correctly nitride treated barrel. Unless you’re going to be shooting full auto in a military environment, CL is totally overkill.

7. Danielsuzuki

Danielsuzuki Happiness is where you find it

A question, if I may:

I’ve a lot to learn in the ways of the AR15, if you were to buy a Nitrided barrel in the 18” Rifle length gas range, where would you get that barrel?

I ask because in the last six months, I’ve gotten into this platform and fired several rifles. I like the rifle length gas system and the balance of the 18” barrel the best.
    Just curious, and thanks in advance!

8. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

This is not a typical config so what happens is that various builders start offering them in .223 Wilde but I’ve mostly seen them with 416 stainless barrels. The Wylde chamber handles both 5.56 and .223. You could get that config at basically any company that builds ARs.

If you truly just want 5.56 NATO nitride, Ruger’s MPR rifle would probably be the best way to go. Before the Corona virus craziness you could get a complete rifle for $500. Now, who knows what price and if there’s any stock.

https://ruger.com/products/ar556MPR/specSheets/8514.html

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  9. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

96861BDD-85CD-40F6-B483-C931F63690C3.jpeg Gen 2 PSA10 upper with a Gen 3 PA10 lower.

10. Danielsuzuki

oooh! That would’ve been good to know before fitting. How’d that work out with PSA cunstomer service?

11. vitalibertas

vitalibertas

Except that is for their AR-10 rifles. There is a warning on every AR-10 product that Gen 3 products will be cosmetically different than Gen 2.

For those that are unaware, there are varying standards for AR-10s unlike AR-15s, and this purchase was made despite the warning and knowledge of that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  12. garya1961

garya1961

My M1 Carbine is a very early Universal that was still in the original box. It still had the original box of bullets that came with the rifle and only about 8 or 10 missing, I'm sure that's all it had been shot. I ran another box of 50 through it without one single malfunction of any kind. It's been sitting in the back of the safe every since.

Just in case anyone is looking for a M1 Carbine Royal Tiger Imports has some really nice ones for sale but they are pricey, $900 to $1200.

OOPS, posted in the wrong thread but since I have a like I'll just leave it here, lol.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Danielsuzuki likes this.
  13. Danielsuzuki

I REALLY want an ar10. Badly.
    Now, thanks to you fine people, I know to go gen 3 all the way. So thanks for that.

nevernuffglock likes this.
  14. SK2344

SK2344

For now, I purchased my Kel-Tec SUB 2000, 9mm because It cost me less than $300 and it has proven to be a great buy! Sometime in the near future I will have the money to purchase the rifle that I want and have always wanted but for now this SUB 2000 was a great buy and a compliment to my 9mm Glock!

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  15. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

It doesn’t bother me, and I haven’t shot it yet either. PSA does say that the differences are cosmetic, also they don’t sell anymore Gen 2 lowers! I’m happy with it though, I’ll report back once I can shoot it. May be a while with what’s going on.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    garya1961 and Danielsuzuki like this.
  16. rock_castle

rock_castle Stay home if you're afraid of the flu

Exactly. I know two guys with PA10 Gen 3 rifles and they love 'em.

17. H@zmatt

[email protected]

I think people get "good enough" confused with "as good as". Is my pickup as good as a high end luxury car. No. Does it fit my budget, do what I need it to do and make me happy? Yes.

If I had unlimited funds and was halo jumping into red China, knights armament etc. Home defense ,shtf a home build for me.
    A psa that I had tested with an afternoon or two with a couple hundred rounds through would work as well.

My gp home built rifle I tested by shooting a 420 rd can of xm193 through it inside of a couple hours. Not a burnout or mag dumps but whatever I could realistically and accurately acquire my targets shoot and reload.I trust it not to break down during whatever "serious "defensive use I would ever need from it.

If you have a psa or del ton or m&p or rock river and your confident in it. I wouldn't worry If something breaks while shooting repair it and drive on. Just my dos centavos.

vitalibertas likes this.
  18. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I've owned Colt, PSA, SW, Aero and milled my own 80% lower.

All have shot well and reliable.

Colt was worth the most, but in reality did not offer any real advantage over the others.

I still have a PSA pistol and my 80% lower on a PSA upper and Bear Creek barrel, all shoot the same with good ammo.

My limited experience with BMC and LMT points to a great gun and probably an excellent race gun, but not real needed for a hobbiest.

Buy what you can afford, shoot it often and enjoy.

19. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

It’s no secret that a lot of luxury cars are junk and very unreliable. Not a good comparison. Many would say a “Toyota” is good enough in the luxury and quality of ride but is the most reliable car on the road. Sure PSA may not be as smooth, have the best trigger, but the sheer numbers of rifles and guns being built may be an indicator as to why there seems to be a high number of issues. Just my 2 cents. Life is good, personally I like BCM. I only have 1 PSA and it’s their PA10. I could never pay a house note on a rifle.