PSA complete magpulled lower $160 shipped

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ViennaGambit, Apr 18, 2014.

1. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

2. Chowser

Chowser

I ordered one of the non blemished ones back in November when they had them on sale. It's been sitting at my dealer. I seriously need to make a trip out there. I have another lower and a suppressor to pick up from him.

Guess I'll make the trip out tomorrow.

3. Delcorbett

Delcorbett

Any idea if they have a 7075 aluminum receiver extensions or just a milspec diameter tube?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

4. Chowser

Chowser

picking mine up today.
    unless the description says 7075, then no, it's not. it'll just be milspec diameter.

5. carloglock19

carloglock19

I had to jump on that deal a few days ago, I will buy the rest of the parts little by little and get a rifle together for my son.

6. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Unless this is for a serious working gun it doesn't matter. And if that is the case I wouldn't be looking for best bargain I'd be looking for the best quality. Price would be secondary.

PSA sells good quality stuff and it will handle everything 99.9% of us throw at it, but if I had to carry it for work and my life depended on it, I would likely dig a little deeper and buy some piece of mind with a Colt, BCM or DD.

That being said I love my PSAs, but if the SHTF I am grabbing my BCM first.

7. Delcorbett

Delcorbett

So that's a no? I have PSA's premium receiver extension kit on one of my rifles. It matches the quality of my other rifles BCM receiver extension kit. Just wanted to know if anyone knows the specs. PSA descriptions leave you wondering sometimes.

8. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Really really well said.

On the receiver ext - I'd say just call psa, but I doubt they'd be able to tell you...

9. wct097

wct097

Out of curiosity, those people that need a "serious working gun"... who are they and why would they be buying/building their own?

I see a lot of people reference "hobby grade" and "work guns" on this board, but I'm a little confused as to exactly what line of "work" people are in where they need a "serious work gun" and also have to worry about building/buying a semi-auto AR themselves.

10. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

I would say, SWAT team types, Security contractors that work in high threat areas and even patrol cops. Should spend a few extra bucks and get something with a good reputation behind it.

And they wouldn't be building their own in most cases. My point was it is a $160 complete forged lower! If you aren't headed "down range" who gives a crap!

PSA is not a hobby grade gun, whatever that is, but if I knew there was a very good chance that my life would depend on my AR functioning. Then a few hundred bucks extra is WELL worth it.

Seriously, the chances of me being involved in a drawn out gunfight are so remote it's not even worth considering. So I buy what I can afford. Personally I think PSA is the best value available in ARs right now.

If someone wants to get an AR for under $800 IMO there isn't a better value available.

Should someone who will likely never be involved in combat be obsessing about what metal the receiver extension is made out of? NO!

The BCG is a different story.

11. lunarspeak

lunarspeak

law enforcement/ military/ competitive shooters/

If I was only shooting one or two hundred rounds a month I would be fine with a hobby gun but thanks to a friend that likes to buy 1000 rounds once to twice a month and me buying around 500 I shoot a lot so that's why I stick with one of my DD's or my colt.

12. Jer

Jer ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't subscribe to the 'hobby gun' term as it applies to PSA. My truck gun, likely the most possible rifle I own to be deployed to end/save lives, is a PSA rifle and I trust it to perform as expected and as any of my other 'Tier 1' rifles would in the same situation. I mean we're talking what... one... maybe two mags at best & that's in the unlikely event it ever gets deployed. ANY rifle can run 1 or 2 mags w/o issue regardless of brand. Just test it thoroughly before considering it 'done' and you'll be good to go. If people consider Colt, DD, BCM & Spikes top tier then PSA is too. I would take a PSA over a Spikes any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've now built rifles using about a dozen PSA lowers (most blem even though I've been unable to find an actual blemish) and fit & finish is right up there with any of my expensive lowers. It comes down to if you're a roll mark snob or not. Keep in mind, this conversation is about the LOWER and not the upper or a complete rifle. Lower is a lower is a lower. If all the holes are the right diameter and line up with what they should.... it doesn't matter. Anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing smoke and backing their personal favorite roll mark.

Now, if you want to discuss uppers and specifically barrels we'll have a conversation about quality and how it matters but most people don't care much about the upper since it doesn't have a pretty logo emblazoned on the side in most cases.

13. wct097

wct097

With the possible exception of competitive shooters, would any of these types of shooters actually be building their own guns? I just don't get the concept of bringing up "serious work" when people discuss building a gun. Seems like a strawman to me.

Doesn't really matter to me. I know I'm not an "operator", so it doesn't hurt my feelings if someone calls my guns "hobby grade" or not. Shooting is my hobby, so it doesn't really serve as much of an insult. Maybe one of these days I can add a factory Colt to my collection so I can see, firsthand, the dramatic difference between my "hobby grade" stuff and a real gun.

14. Jer

Jer ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 'dramatic difference' between a Colt lower & a PSA lower is the pony on the side. Due to Colt's poor support of the civilian community I don't hold them in as high a regard as others seem to. You can do better than Colt for less money despite what old school internet commandos try to convince you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  15. CarryTexas

CarryTexas

Again, my point was made in reference to the question about the receiver extention being mil-spec aluminum and not just diameter.

If you read back on this thread that you will see that I believe that 99.9% of us (myself included) would have no issue with a PSA. And unless you will routinely carry it a defend your life the grade of aluminum shouldn't be a concern.

It's a $160 complete lower! What a bargain! Why the heck not?

16. wct097

wct097

I agree, though I personally want a mil-spec buffer tube to match the stocks I use. I'm not bashing you, just questioning the gun-board culture that makes "us", in general and not you in particular, feel the need to preface statement with what I believe to be the strawman of "a gun for serious work".

17. Delcorbett

Delcorbett

I don't go in to harms way. I don't personally care if its milspec or just milspec diameter as long as it functions reliably. I just want to know what I'm purchasing...

18. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

I really wouldn't expect to get answers from them...

On another note, still waiting for my shipping notice. Then it will be another week bc UPS sucks balls. But, it was $160... so thats OK.

19. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Just purchased a PSA complete upper in 300AAC Black Out. It's as nice of upper I have and I have 6 AR's and two of them are Colts. Fit and finish is top shelf and it fits perfect to my Stag lower with PSA parts. I consider them top shelf.

20. carloglock19

carloglock19

Picked mine up today and it looks good, did not see any blemishes when I inspected it. Can't wait to finish it up.