PSA about TSA - Prepping my G43 for flying/out-of-state Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by sonarsessions, Aug 6, 2018.

Have you Flown with your EDC setup?

Poll closed Nov 4, 2018.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. sonarsessions

sonarsessions

It may not be needed, but I will start this with a disclaimer that you should always check to see which states honor your carry permit should you choose to carry while traveling.

I recently flew from Atlanta, GA to Austin, TX so I took my Glock 43, a few mags, my flashlight, knife, and a box of ammo with me. I made this video while traveling in hopes that it would help some people that were looking for a good way to set up their gear when flying.

This video highlights a few tips to keep you and your gear away from the wrong side of the law, and how I prep my setup prior to flying. Any questions regarding the contents of the video is greatly appreciated but try to keep it civilized as the page is still growing... lol. Thanks!

nursetim and ExecutiveWill like this.
  2. coma1924

coma1924

Nice video. Regarding your light; How about just putting your battery in backwards? That should keep it from accidently turning on.

sonarsessions likes this.

3. sonarsessions

sonarsessions

Thanks for checking it out!

Regarding the flashlight, a friend of mine who is studying electrical engineering said it was a better habit to use a barrier to provide electrical isolation than to reverse the battery as not all flashlights have reverse polarity protection built in.

I’m almost 100% positive Olights have them but I’ve made a habit of doing it this way over my years traveling, and it has yet to fail me. Just a tip I happened to learn and share that works for me.

porschedog likes this.
  4. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

Regarding the flashlight, why not carry it on? I usually carry two on my person on a plane and maybe another in my carry-on. I don't mess with the batteries, and I keep spare batteries in my carry-on in case a light dies.

fasteddie565, larry_minn and fredj338 like this.
  5. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Flown maybe ten times with it. Not a single issue. Very easy process.

Steady Glockin likes this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

I fly 5-6x a year with guns. If the state I am headed for allows ccw, then I take my rig. I do not usually carry a flashlight, but when I fly, there is always one in my bag that I can carry.

7. porschedog

porschedog

Good info, thanks. I also travel with at least one light in my carry on laptop bag.

8. porschedog

porschedog

I’ve flown with handguns but I used a much larger case than the
    Pelican case shown in the video if only to make the bag less “grabbable” by a nefarious baggage handler.

9. sonarsessions

sonarsessions

I agree, but the way TSA handles mine was to have me take the baggage to the oversized baggage area where they opened and inspected my luggage to ensure the firearm was secured. They never even opened my locked case. They skipped the card in and closed it after they saw it was locked up tight.

As an added security measure the TSA agent had some zip ties available and asked if I wanted to lock the zippers on the bag to which I happily obliged. They were still tight when I got the bag back too. That’s something I definitely plan to implement when I fly again after my bag is checked. And as for my flashlight, I carry an olight I1r eos on my keychain that runs at almost 200 lumens so I always have a light on me. The other was just my edc. I keep one on me 24/7.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Every airport is diff. Most go thru your checked bag out of sight, put in the notice, no big deal. Proper hard case with keyed locks, gtg. I used to zip tie the zippers but tsa would cut them off to go thru the bag. So now I use tsa locks on the zippers instead.
    I have had ticket agents ask to see the guns. So I turn the pelican around & open the case so I dont have to have everyone else see what she sees. Leave the action open, mag out, makes it all easier.

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Couple things. Maybe cut down on rotating case, container, ammo box after done. (To shorten Vidio). Mention NOT using TSA locks on gun case, but TSA lock on outside luggage.
    Show that if ammo box not in closed, custom cut slot... The ammo box should have ends taped, at least a rubber band. IF ammo box opens. You are breaking rules with loose ammo.
    I have had uninformed ticket agents tell me loaded mags ( secured in closed pouch) is not allowed.
    Some ticket agents make up their own rules. Done early, be calm, have printed airline as well as TSA rules. "You can only have one box of ammo". Airline online had "ammo must be less then 10 lbs". You can only have one pistol per case, and only one case per bag". I was headed to GSSF match.
    I like to announce with. "I am traveling with a UNLOADED firearm. It is in a locked hard case and the ammo is in DOT approved containers". I have not been taken aside (MN MSP, CO DEN, FL TPA) when doing that. Only once told to show unloaded. (As I had string down barrel tied thru ejection hood I did not have to handle it). Once I explained reason for string.
    IMO getting there early, being calm and making dang sure it's unloaded are main things.
    Edit to correct spelling

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    SouthVA, Glockworks and sonarsessions like this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah the ammo thing is also all over the place. The airline controls that not TSA. So I have never been challenged on ammo by TSA. I just use plastic MTM type ammo boxes & tape them shut. Most airlines allow only 11# of ammo. Though many of us have traveled with a bit more. I did have a ticket agent want to see the ammo, it was in taped up MTM. I asked if he had tape to tape my boxes back up, otherwise I couldn't open it for him. He said he did, I opened it & he looked at one cartridge??? Weird, why you always have to be nice, not everyone knows what they are doing.

13. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

From South Carolina to Houston or Las Vegas, a G43 and either an LCP or J frame, extra mags, knife and Streamlight ProTac. Never an issue. Just do your homework pre-flight and all will go smoothly.

Steady Glockin and sonarsessions like this.
  14. John Biltz

John Biltz

I always carry a flashlight on the plane and a larger one in my carry on. Its a flashlight not a weapon. I often wear a butt pack into the airport, then simply take it off after security and put the items into my pockets. That way I don't have to go through my pockets at security.

The only real stop at security I ever had was when they scanned my carry on and they wanted to know what two cylindrical objects were. They were two cigar tubes that were milled out of steel and were pretty thick and were opaque on their scanners.

fredj338 and sonarsessions like this.
  15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Ok funny, scary story. Posted it at time. Too lazy to find it. Did standard "unloaded gun, DOT..." As if I do this daily. (Found out long ago act like you have done this hundreds of times people don't question). If you act unsure, nervous...
    Goes normal except ticket agent pulls out form (IIRC 4 copies) for flying while armed. I contest but he is on roll. This is new policy... I must give one copy to TSA at scanner, copy to Pilot BEFORE I get on aircraft. (So it's possible I could have taken my gun on my person). I would have been illegal, subject to arrest... But he signed, gave me forms to...
    TSA waved me thru without grope and I set off scanner ( normal for me as implants) without hand scan, grope...
    I get to plane. Ask Flight Attendent to give copy to Pilot (it clearly said "BEFore getting on plane)
    He calls me into cockpit, assuming I am Air Marshel... I inform him I an regular passenger, my unloaded gun is (hopefully) in belly of plane. He is bit upset, thanks me for explaining.. ( I got idea he was going to have words with ticket agent who signed forms)
    It was interesting but bit scary. I in no way hinted I was a Air Marshall. I just stated unloaded, cased, ammo DOT approved..."

nursetim and sonarsessions like this.
  16. fredj338

fredj338

The above story is why I dont feel tsa makes me safer on the plan. Marginally safer maybe, but stories like the above ate just frickin scary.

17. G19 fan

G19 fan

Very good info. Thanks for sharing.

One time we had just boarded & the ticket agent came on the plane & advised the guy beside me that he had to come with her. She explained that his loaded revolver had fallen out of his duffel bag as it was being loaded into the plane. I suspect that he might not have quite followed the rules for packing & declaring it properly. This incident even made it onto the local TV news. Duh.

18. fredj338

fredj338

OOps. The more people with CCW & reciprocity are carrying when they fly but too many do not take the time to review the laws & regs. It makes us all look bad. I am sure that cost him some jail time & money.

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This comes up a lot.

It's both very easy and very simple.

Locked hard sided case, checked luggage, declare with airline, TSA checks bag, off you go.

Use www.handgunlaw.us or similar to check carry reciprocity.

If you are going through New York, don't bring anything. If you get diverted to New York, do not possess that bag with that gun.

They tried to have me fill that form out for carrying on the plane once.

20. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I take an EDC on almost every trip when its legal to carry at the destination. I travel btx 1502 200 days a year.

Once, I did some work for POF in AZ and received a shiny new 6.8 as a partial payment, The United ticket agent looked at it in the case and said I couldn't take it on as it was an anti-aircraft gun. I was a bit taken back. I finally told him it would be in the cargo hold, and it had no ammunition with it so it wouldn't matter. He was good with that. I Houston, I had an agent start crying when I showed an empty chamber. (United has since changed their policy, they believe you with your signature on the orange card now). She said a distant relative (Sister's son's cousin or some such thing) was killed in Greens Point, TX (Houston Neighborhood). I used to use a Kimber case as a hard case to secure my pistols and every time I had the TSA card in my bag. (It was typically a Glock) I finally figured out that they were wanting to finger bang a Kimber and when I went to a pelican case, the hand inspections dropped dramatically. The hardest part of it all is dealing with the uninformed.