close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

PS2 or X-Box?

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by CanadianGlockFan, Oct 31, 2004.

1. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

I'm looking for advice one way or the other; I've been given a bunch of gift certificates that I can spend the way I wish, and I'm wondering which system is better overall, PS2 or the X-Box? For gaming, I really prefer 1st-person shooters like Call of Duty, Doom, etc., and flight simulators. Are there any specific games for either system I should keep in mind? Thanks for any input :)

2. justin22

justin22

I have both the PS2 and xbox. If the same game is released for both systems I always buy the xbox version. I just think games look better on it than the ps2. I have heard that Doom 3 will be released soon on the xbox and call of duty I think will be released on the the ps2. Also, try any of the rainbow six titles for the xbox.

3. Tvov

Tvov

Is PS2 going to made much longer? I read on the internet (and we all know how accurate internet information is...;Q ) that PS2 production is supposedly going to stop, when I don't know. Xbox is supposed to be around for awhile longer.

There are a heck of a lot of good games available for PS2 though.

4. black diesel

black diesel

XBOX, no question about it. A lot more machine than the PS2 by far. Built in hard drive (no memory cards), copy CDs onto it for custom game sound tracks, better graphics, better everything.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, the PS2 IS being phased out, though it is far from dead.

It is being phased out to make way for the PS3.

And as far as the XBox goes, it is a real PC inside...made and marketed by our bestest buddies in Redmond, M$.

Also seems there have been a few problems lately....like over 20% of those cheap-@$$ HD's failing in a short amount of time, and destroying game saves and other irreplaceable data.

One in five HDD's failing...yikes.

IMHO, the only use for either of these is to install a huge HDD into the XBox and install Linux on it. I won't comment on further uses for this arrangement as the DMCA has deemed making a backup copy of software you own a user license for illegal; however, it is safe to say that a few little modifications can make your XBox a lot more user-friendly than it is now!!

Even if it does have a crappy vid card in it.

You DO know that you can get an app that lets you emulate either of these on your PC, correct? Though since they were coded for the 32MB graphics cards of the consoles, they will not look nearly as nice as a PC game would.

Look for Doom III on the XBox to look a lot more like Doom II than DIII on a powerful gaming rig...the consoles just can't maintain framerates while pushing all the bitmapping and lighting effects like any decent 128MB+, 256-bit ATI or nVidia card with a 400MHz clock can. That sort of 3D rendering takes a good processor and lots of fast physical memory, and it just isn't there. What is the XBox using, an old PIII-type CPU with 700MHz clock speeds, IIRC...

But YMMV. Good luck with your search for knowledge!

FastVFR

6. Tvov

Tvov

Supposedly you can check where the HDD on an XBOX has been made, the failing ones are all from one source. Don't know which ones though, a search should be able to find the info.

On the link you provided, a little below the info about the HDD is the story of the leaked Halo2 game. Halo2 better be damn good considering the all the hype about it!

7. black diesel

black diesel

I saw on Ebay someone that sells these modded Xboxes that have different HDDs and software to run other console games. Halo 2 better be the real deal.

8. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

Thanks for the info so far, guys. I didn't know about the emulators, though, is there somewhere I could learn some more about them? So far, the X-Box seems to have a better choice of games (given what I like), but I'm always open to hearing more...