Provisions and flooding?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by seamaster, Sep 15, 2018.

1. seamaster

seamaster

Flooding from hurricane florence looks pretty bad. This type of thing has me wondering how much "provisions" are wise to invest in as in this case, what you couldn't take with you is now likely underwater.

I'm in a 3 story house but most items are kept on the ground floor or in the garage because you're not getting anything but yourself out in a hurry if it's on the 3rd floor!

What do you guys do for this protection from flooding?

2. thewitt

thewitt

I vacuum seal all goods that can be ruined by water. I bought some silicon reusable bags that can hold blankets and other dry goods and vacuum seal those as well. Nothing in my provisions and survival storage can be damaged by water.

Deltic and Atomic Punk like this.

3. seamaster

seamaster

I vacuum sealed a bunch of my ammo and the bags failed. I think they deteriorated from oil. Some bags are still fine but most failed.

Now I don't trust the vacuum bags!

4. thewitt

thewitt

The silicon bags are not impacted by oil. You do have to be careful what you use though.

5. Morris

Morris CLM

About a year after Katrina, I attended a training session in which a NOLA SWAT cop talked about their preps. The city did have MREs, cots, etc. for keeping folks on the road. However, they unwisely stored it in a city facility in the lowest parts of the city. The facility completely flooded and no one wanted to wade into that toxic soup to retrieve the goods. They city had been warned by the PD's emergency managers but the city refused to move the supplies to higher ground/second floor. Lesson learned for me about elevation.

Deltic, agtman and larry_minn like this.
  6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Honestly there are options. One is "dont put all eggs in be basket" if your home is low area. Ask a friend who lives on hill, or that rental place on the hill.... Store some stuff there.
    IF your stuff is packed (say in totes) and you have trailer, leave EARLY you could take it with you. (At least part)
    What kind of stuff matters. Canned foods "should" be ok if can decontaminated before opening. (Unless dented). It might be mystery if labels lost.. ;)

Now I would think (depending on insurance) if you have inventory you should get reimbursed for most lost supplies. Ammo cans, sealed jars... Also after cleaning exterior, no intrusion should be good. Flood is not something (other then broken pipe) I am concerned about. I shut off water to house if I plan to be gone overnight.
    If it's a concern. Plan for it.

7. thewitt

thewitt

All of the canned food in my provision area is marked on the top with grease pencil and rotated through the pantry every 6 months.

happie2shoot likes this.
  8. OXMYX

OXMYX

Flood waters are filled with contaminates and raw sewage, once something floods it's gone, don't worry about it and don't try to save it.​

agtman, Stendec, Morris and 1 other person like this.
  9. quake

quake Millennium Member

I had that happen the first time I did it as well. The problem was the vacuum itself; it can pull the plastic bag down onto sharp edges of what's inside the bag (box corners, bullet tips, etc) that it actually breaks the seal. Less of a vacuum and/or soft wrap around packed items helps a ton. Old towel or rags, etc.

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

If it is going to flood then leave!

jimcorbin likes this.
  11. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

Good question OP. I live at 8400' and if it floods here, it's a repeat of God washing away our sinful soles - I don't stand a chance. Forest fire is my nemesis. But as for low lying areas, my thought would be have a second location, even if it's a storage unit and plan on leaving early. A dedicated trailer isn't a bad idea. Put a small boat on top of the trailer, or have the trailer be a boat trailer and store stuff in the boat. Things would have to be really bad to be down to a boat as the only mode of viable transportation, but it would give some comfort if it got that bad.

12. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

We are also in a place where.. if we get a flood that reaches our house, it's biblical. We had, 22 years ago, 14 inches of rain in 12 hours. Flooding was extreme. The lowest point on our property held water for about 6 hours, and it was 20 feet in elevation lower then the basement walkout. So really, no worries. That said, We have everything LTS in vacuum packaging and then inside either a sealed 5 gallon bucket, ammo cans or a construction box. We do have canned goods in the basement, in an auto rotator.

13. G29guy06

G29guy06

...I live on a mountain- problem solved...and no, I don’t have A sprinkler system...

14. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

All food goes into a 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal lid.

happie2shoot likes this.
  15. Morris

Morris CLM

Problem is, Gamma Seals aren't waterproof as installed. I learned that through a yearlong test.

16. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

This contamination issue seemed to receive a lot more emphasis in the media coverage this time around with Flo.

Not just the raw sewage issue, but the loss of livestock that resulted in animal corpses rotting away in the flooded rural areas. For example, one of the governors (can't recall if he was the NC or SC Gov) stated on FNC that hurricane Flo killed 3 million chickens, along with some unknown numbers of hogs, cows, and horses. I believe it was later reported that "hundreds" of pigs/hogs had perished.

Think about that ...

3 million
    dead chickens floating around flooded streets and farm land. Once the storm cleared out, those birds started to bake in the sun and rising heat.

Can you imagine what the smell must be like?​

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  17. rogn

rogn real dogs

Both chickens and hogs will likely be retained by the housing that they're grown in. But i doubt anyone will be able to get tothem for days and days so the local sites must be like a wing of dante's hell by the time they can be addressed. Not a pretty picture either way.

agtman likes this.
  18. OXMYX

OXMYX

The reason why I bring up contamination is that I live close to a flood zone so when it rains a lot I see the sewer lids with brown liquid gushing out and remind the kids "Just because you see other folks in the water, don't do it".

The one time I did get flooded I noticed the insurance adjuster claimed everything as a loss that touched the water.

seamaster likes this.
  19. seamaster

seamaster

I'm still in limbo as what how much to prepare for this season's anticipated rain. The "authorities" are saying the models show a very wet winter.

If we get a repeat of the mudslides then no preparation will help me because I'll be moving into my office or staying with friends on the high side of town. I suppose I could prep my office space?

20. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

First determine whether or not you are in a flood zone, second if not in a flood zone then will a nearby flood zone cause you to be isolated if it floods, third if you can answer yes to one or both of these questions then you need to move. If you are serious about prepping you can't leave yourself open to known dangers that can only complicate an already bad situation.

agtman likes this.