Protecting your HEARING, or what you still have....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by akapennypincher, Jan 24, 2013.

1. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Was down at Cabela’s today looking to spend a Gift Card on a pair of the Battery Operated Electronic Hearing Protector, that go QUIET when Guns go KABOOM.

After looking at the Noise Stopping Rating it appear the Non Electronic one are better with a 21 RATING, the Electronic one are Rated at 20, and to my Surprise those FOAM CRUSHABLE ONE are RATED at 30.

So I still have the gift card and will keep using my NON Electronic MUFFS....

2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

IIRC if you double up you end up with 5 db protection over the lower rating. I'm not sure if it's the lowest or highest, it's been a while. The earplugs have to be put in properly though, I do know that there are some custom manufactures and a do it yourself mold kit as well.

3. Reswob

Reswob

Earplugs have better noise reduction, and don't get in the way of your other equipment. (like how your eye pro will slightly separate muffs from your head, lowering the effective reduction even further).

I picked up some Surefire "Max" reusable ear plugs a while back, and the search for the perfect hearing pro is over. 26 dB NRR, very comfortable, and easier to use than foam plugs.

http://www.surefire.com/ep5-sonic-defenders-max.html

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Your ENT can make custom molded plugs

5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I put in the compressible foam plugs first, get sealed up real good, then put on a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronics and turn the volume all the way up. I can hear conversation very well, but gunshot is very effectively suppressed.

6. DaneA

DaneA

I use both the foam inserts and a pair of non electric muffs. I lost enough of my hearing running floor buffers (like running a riding mower indoors).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. jr05

jr05

I shoot IDPA where you need to hear commands and timers, etc.

I still like to have my hearing protection while still being able to hear. I use a pair of foam plugs under a pair of electronic muffs (howard leight impact sport). I just turn up the muffs and can hear commands very easily with the foam plugs in, when the shot goes off, it is very quiet. I highly recommend this method (and the impact sports for a budget priced pair of electronic muffs).

8. mglindo

mglindo

I use custom molded silicon ear plugs which the company I worked for had made for me, and [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00117XML0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01"]Amazon.com: Pro Ears Ultra 33 Passive Hearing Protection: Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41wOqONwmvL[/ame] over that. This setup I use for indoor range use. The over ear protective device is very large and would probably not work very well with long guns such as shotguns and rifles.

9. sum-dum-guy

sum-dum-guy

10. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

The NRR is even less when you wear glasses and the temples lift the ear muffs a bit. I always wear plugs and muffs.

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I've got the Howard Leight Impact Sports and I use plugs as well when shooting anything other than the .22's

12. AA_Khost

AA_Khost Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  13. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

14. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

Yea, this is my setup as well. I double bag.

Howard Leight foam ear plugs (can't remember which one, but the one with the highest rating) and then my MSA Supreme Pro X electronic muffs with the volume turned up. I'm able to hear shells clinking to the ground during repeated, heavy firing, or hear a conversation taking place five feet behind the firing line, while I'm firing. Very handy setup.

To the OP, I also was surprised by the ratings, and that's why to be safe I wear both (especially since safety glasses, hair, beard or anything else that "breaks" the seal around your ear will prevent you from getting even the rated db reduction with muffs.

That said, when I was deciding on which muffs to buy, I read a lot of threads reviewing discussing them, and universally, people (many of them trainers or range officers) who used the MSA or other high end muffs, talked about how their perception of the noise reduction was much greater than the stated reduction. Meaning, if it was labled at 20 db, they felt they were much quieter and did a better job than say a passive rated at 25 db.

So, I don't know if during the testing only the passive nature is taken into account and not the active. Or, since the db rating we see is either an aggregate or average of all the frequencies, if some of the shooting muffs are tuned to work with the frequencies of a gun shot and therefore are more effective than their db rating would indicate.

However, since I didn't have the answer to those questions and unknowns, I decided to just play it safe and wear both. The key to wearing both foam and muffs is to have a decent set of electronic muffs (preferably with stereo mics) so that you can have conversations, hear range officers, etc. without constantly taking your muffs and ear plugs out.

15. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

[​IMG]
    I currently use a set like this above, I removed the Foam, put some Quilter Batting were the Foam was, and replace the Foam. This seem to make ever thing quieter. Seems to block out more noise.:cool:

16. dg84

dg84

17. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I use the same unles shooting .22s or suppressed. They work great. being able to hear whats going on around me is more important than a few more decibels of protection. Your opinion may differ.

18. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I picked up a pair last summer - they are great, and their customer service is great, but my Peltor Tactical Pro earmuffs have a higher NRR rating. The SRS-MSAs are lighter and have a lower profile making it easier to use when shooting a long gun.

The Pro Ears NRR rating looks great but I read too many bad review of them to invest my money.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I put in 2 sets of plugs and seal them off with great stuff foam

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. The Fed

The Fed

Silencio Magnum. 29 db.